How much heat is lost in a steaming hot shower anyway?

Page 3 of 3

Space heater vs. furnace:
http://www.mnenergysmart.com/when-space-heaters-make-cents-and-when-they-dont/
--
Dan Espen

On 12/31/2015 10:59 AM, Dan Espen wrote:

We had 2 gas wall *furnaces* that heated the part of the living room/bedrooms near one, and another room/laundry room for another. We've never had central air in this house. At one point we had a floor furnace where one of the wall furnaces is now located.
There is a larger room on the back of this house that only has 2 baseboard heaters, and we have a wood burning stove in that room. We've always been cold in the winter with the furnaces and baseboard heaters. The wood stove works nicely, but it has to be constantly monitored as to what the fire is doing (do I need to open the flue more or less/add wood/turn logs, etc.)
I've tried several types of space heaters for rooms that don't get heated well otherwise and these radiator oil heaters have been the best heaters I've ever used, and 2 heated the entire house before we even lit the pilot light on the main wall furnace.
--
Maggie

Tell them to put on a sweater in the shower.
On Thu, 31 Dec 2015 00:06:21 -0000 (UTC)

They should just report you for abuse and then warm the house up while you sit in a "cool" jail.
On 12/30/2015 7:06 PM, Vlad Lescovitz wrote:

comfortable. We keep it in the upper 60s. But, I do have electric heaters (heater/exhaust fan/light/night light) in both bathrooms for nice toasty showers and baths. Had them in our bathrooms in my previous house too. We wouldn't have it any other way.
On Thursday, December 31, 2015 at 1:50:54 PM UTC-5, Art Todesco wrote:

Up until this year, 67-68 was fine for us. Now, 68-69 seems to be the norm.
I wonder if anyone has factored the aging population and associated increase in thermostat settings into the global warming equation. ;-)
"Vlad Lescovitz" wrote in message
The wife doesn't like the house being set at 55 degrees so she (and the teen) take long showers, only leaving the bathroom when the 50 gallon hotwater tank runs cold.
My propane hotwater heater is set to something like 135 degrees. That means a lot of hot water is going down the drain.
I wonder - is there a calculation done on how much energy it takes to heat 50 gallons of water with propane versus how much energy it takes to heat a house by 5 degrees with propane?
Maybe it is cheaper to just heat the house more?
MY house is 74 and at time I am not happy with that
Vlad Lescovitz posted for all of us...

I haven't read all the replies and I'll leave the personal opinion out. Why not just zone out the bathroom with its own thermostat? Limit it to certain times. Or get one of those in wall heaters with a timer?
--
Tekkie

When you take a shower, most of the heat of the water is released into the air in the form of heat or humidity. The water that goes down the drain is Luke warm. And even that heat is not totally lost as it heats the pipes in the wall. By the time the waste water leaves your house, it has given up most of the heat. Enjoy the hot shower. It is one of the true benefits of modern life.