How many hinges for door ?

For exterior solid doors I have always seen 3 hinges. But what about interior doors? In particular those 6 panel masonite doors. These are heavier than the regular hollow doors but not by much. My house's doors all have 2 hinges, but when I look at other people's houses I see three. Any differences in the size of the door? For example 2.5 feet width is 2 hinges but 3 feet gets 3 hinges?
raymondj wrote:

Heavy doors need 3. You can get away with 2 on interior doors. If the interior door is heavier than usual just upgrade the hinge to a heavier size.
Rich
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
On 12 Jan 2004 08:11:02 -0800, poison snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (raymondj) wrote:

Some have three, others two. A heavier or larger door would have three or two heavy-duty hinges. The middle hinge carries the least force, and is the least important.
The number of hinges may just be for appearance in some homes. But normally it depends on the weight of the door. Regular hollow core doors need only 2 hinges. Solid doors need three hinges. Maybe the 3 hinged doors you see are not hollow core. Size of door doesn't matter, besides it would look very strange to see a mix of 2 and 3 hinge doors. Only my exterior doors have 3 hinges --2 metal foam core, and 1 solid core to the garage.
raymondj wrote:

All my inside doors, which are hollow core doors, have 2 hinges. I'm in the process of replacing my solid core garage side-entry door which has 3 hinges.

I just installed 4 of the 6 panel masonite doors. They seemed about twice as heavy as one of the cheap hollow-core doors I was replacing and about as heavy as the older (& nicer) hollow-core doors.
Anyway, with 3 kids I was afraid of flex from running into the doors etc, so I used 3 hinges. The information on the back of the package indicated 3 hinges as well, but that could just be to increase sales.
NJBrad

I also noticed that in Home Depot, the prehung masonite doors come with three hinges.