How many 100W Incandescent light bulbs do you have stocked up?

Page 2 of 6
Han wrote:

$17.98 for the 2pk at COSTCO.

Zero. Incandescent bulbs are extreme energy hogs. There is absolutely no good reason to use them.
snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com wrote:

I have several 40 watt bulbs stashed away for the ceiling fans in my house and the bathroom fixtures that take them. CFLs are ugly and any fixture that actually exposes the bulb to view gets incandescents.
On Fri, 23 Dec 2011 14:55:37 +0000 (UTC), "badgolferman"

Exactly. I have ceiling fans/lights in every room, plus chandeliers in three. All of them with visible bulbs. That, alone, is around 50 - 60W bulbs that no CFLs are ever going to replace even if they were perfect in every other way (they're certainly not). If my goal were to minimize electricity consumption, light bulbs would be the last place I'd turn.

I may be insensitive compared to your sensitivity to having lights of exactly the right color balance - no offense menat. Almost all our lights are CFL, and they are fine for us. De gustibus non disputandem. I bought one fixture with 3 LEDs of 1 Watt each that is perfect for lighting an area of the kitchen counter that I like to be more lit than with the current ambient lighting. I choose this much too expensive fixture because I don't really like fluorescent under cabinet lighting, and halogen is much too hot (for the spices above).
I live in North Jersey, and it could get cold here. We have porchlights with CFLs and they work fine. Admittedly, the temperature doesn't often get to less than 10F here but there is an occasional morning where it is around 0F.
--
Best regards
Han
On 12/24/2011 7:35 PM, Han wrote:

I'd say there are places for a full spectrum light. Maybe in lights for paintings. But for everyday use a cfl provides enough spectrum for my use. I donno. I don't see much of a difference. Probably more psychological than actual. As for aesthetics, most of my light fixtures are the type you can't see the bulb and the ones that do I don't really care much what they look like. I've seen the more expensive ones that look more like conventional lights but I don't think they justify the expense.
Cfls have come along way. They last longer and give off a much softer light than the 1st generation. I probably jumped in too soon but I have cfls outside that have lasted over a decade. IMO it's a better mouse trap but I can see why some would want to hang on to a few incan. bulbs. I can easily adapt if it means I can save a few buck on my elec. bill. Maybe some of these guys don't get elec. bills like I do in the summer months. If moving to LEDs means I can save even more I'll be there eventually.

Sure, If I can ask why you find it so difficult to read simple sentences (perhaps because you read only what you want to read). Color balance is a completely different issue. CLFs are *ugly*. I don't want pig's tails hanging from every fixture.

That isn't enough light to be useful, other than a nightlight sort of thing.

The fluroescents we had in VT didn't even work in our laundry (not a CFL) or foyer (CFL). Forget outside. No, CFLs are dead, as far as I'm concerned. I'll give LEDs a shot when the come down in price, by an order of magnitude. Until then, I have a few hundred incandescents stockpiled.

You'd be amazed if you saw it. Yes it is like task lighting, not for the whole (tiny) kitchen, but that area.

I always like it when others do as I do, spend money where it is useless, just to keep the economy going </sarcasm>
You do as you like and I'll do as I like. No harm, no foul.
--
Best regards
Han

For a *small* spot, believable. For an entire countertop, not.

"Useless" is in the eye of the beholder. Many would think a $90 12" square is "useless", too. ;-)

That's all I'm asking. It's you lefties who think you know how to spend my money better than I.

That is in the eye of the beholder as well. If I were to take an extreme view (which I don't in this matter), I could say that it is more important to stimulate energy conservation and develop "green" energy sources than it is to finance wars.
So, yes, I'm a lefty, and I will decide what is good for the country, not Bush and his consorts.
That was a joke ...
--
Best regards
Han
Han wrote:

What's good for the individual, writ large, is good for the country. What's good for the country, at the smallest level, is bad for the individual.

Here I have to disagree. It seems good for the individual to get tax exemptions and/or subsidies, but sometimes it isn't good for the country. I believe laws underlying economic policies with benefits to groups or individuals should have automatic sunsets in them after a maximum of 5 years or so. I'd like to see them minimized as much as possible. That may eventually include mortgage deductions (my home is almost paid off).
--
Best regards
Han

You do realize which party wants to eliminate most deductions, loopholes, simplify the tax code while simulaneously reducing rates? And which party won't even discuss it?

I'm hoping that a more fair tax structure will result ... That's the party I am supporting, not the party that wants tax breaks for the rich and powerful (corporations). <grin>.
--
Best regards
Han

The problem with the whole concept of "fair" is who gets to decide the matter. You lefties can't be trusted with *any* decisions.

Fair is in the eyes of the beholder. I don't think it is fair that the "1%" (note my quotes) keep getting richer and richer and that the middle class is getting poorer and poorer. Because it is only happening because the laws are written by the rich. IMO (humble or not) that is a very, very dangerous course for the rich to be on.
--
Best regards
Han

The "rich" (note my quotes) are producing. The deadbeats are sucking.

Bullshit. Why has the percentage of the taxes paid by "the rich" been constantly rising? Why do you consider that "fair"? If you taxed "the rich" at 100%, how much more is there for "the 99%"?
The more you lefties talk the dumber you look.
On 12/26/2011 11:06 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:
<snip>

FTFY

Only an incredible fool forges quotes. Lefties certainly qualify. Good job of proving my points. Thank you!
On 12/26/2011 11:23 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

Sure thing. You made an obvious mistake. Must be difficult with that lamp shoved up your ass and all.