How many 100W Incandescent light bulbs do you have stocked up?

Page 1 of 6
How many 100W Incandescent light bulbs do you have stocked up? Just curious if others are stocking up? I have 224 bulbs (56 four packs) so far, and plan to get at least 124 more bulbs. They were leaving the stores so fast, I just told a local store to order me forty packs of them, which they did about a month ago.
Add pictures here
✖
On Dec 23, 8:30 am, snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com wrote:

You must be a mad bugger. When the latest generation CFLs first came out, they were selling them for $0.15 to promote them. So I bought about twenty.
So I have a stock of latest technology lamps and you are stockpiling shit?
Wonder when they'll be selling decent LED lamps cheap?
You Yanks are weird.
Add pictures here
✖

You must be a mad bugger. When the latest generation CFLs first came out, they were selling them for $0.15 to promote them. So I bought about twenty.
So I have a stock of latest technology lamps and you are stockpiling shit?
Wonder when they'll be selling decent LED lamps cheap?
You Yanks are weird.
No doubt about that. Now, with the DOE ordered not to enforce the bulb phase-out, there will likely be illegal 100 watt bulbs available on line and at retailers too.
Tomsic
Add pictures here
✖
On Fri, 23 Dec 2011 02:30:28 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com wrote:

One pack that has been around for ages. Now that CFL lights have progressed in quality of light, I see no reason to use the old bulbs. Nor is the incandescent going away. There will be more efficient bulb available that have a new design filament. Given the number of bulbs you have, I'd have to say you may be a little nuts. I doubt I used 224 bulbs in my 66 years of life.
Add pictures here
✖
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

No stock of incandescents other than a few hanging around in closets or that were replaced with CFLs. Now that I have found an LED lamp that is "ready for prime time" (LG 7.5W 40W equiv "A" type), I'm in the process of converting to LED. I have 8 of the LG LED lamps deployed so far and all are performing quite well.
Add pictures here
✖

Too bad, can't find them on line. Where are you located?
--
Best regards
Han
Han wrote:

Yes, I can't find them on the COSTCO site either. I got them at a Dallas COSTCO (east Plano). The Costco item number is 593259 so you could call and check.
This is the lamp:
http://www.lg.com/us/led-lighting/led-bulbs/LG-bulb-LB08D827L0A.E50JWU0.jsp
Add pictures here
✖
thanks!
<snip>
--
Best regards
Han

The price is coming down as well. I have about a dozen PAR30s in my kitchen. When I first did them with CFLs, they cost about $6/ea. I bought a replacement the other day - it was about $1.25/ea in a pack of 4. Not much more than what an incandescent used to cost.
Hopefully the reliability is a little better. The first gens did not get the 10,000 hour lifetimes promised. Color temps are better now - used to be hard to find 2700' CFLs. Now they are all over. LEDs aren't available that warm and are far more expensive.
Add pictures here
✖
On 12/23/2011 7:07 AM, Robert Neville wrote:

i just bought another 48 one-hundred watt real bulbs. $1.58 for FOUR (4). Seems to me that's about a THIRD of your "not much more".... I'll keep using the real ones. No government control for me, thank you.
--
Steve Barker
✖

I just got done fighting with a LED christmas display. Only half the display was working. It took several hours to find the problem. Three dead LEDs were the result. Yeah, China made crap. This display has only been used for one christmas season and a few days (about 400 hours). I have now replaced 5 leds. The display has about 80 to 100 lights. That's a pretty poor rate of reliability. I thought LEDs were supposed to last for years. No, i wont pay $25 or even $10 for one of them.
The CFLs are severely overrated for life span too. I have only had one bulb that exceeded the life of an incandescent. That was one of the first CFLs ever made. It was not a curly like the ones today, it was long and straight. It lasted 8 years turned on almost 24/7. it might still work if someone had not smashed it when moving the refrigerator. These curly CFLs are short lived, and I've had 2 of them now literally blow sparks and smoke. The cheaper they get, the shorter they last.
Add pictures here
✖

Yes, when it comes to light bulbs, cheap usually = short life.
A suggestion: Use Energy Star CFLs. They go through 3rd. party testing for life and carry a warranty backed up by Energy Star. If a bulb fails early, it has to be replaced at no charge. Keep the bulb carton so you have the 800 number to call for a replacement.
Tomsic
Add pictures here
✖

That statemen used to be valid for some halogen lights, like slide projector bulbs. It was because the "glass" was pure quartz, and the oils of fingerprints would burn and damage the quartz. To be handle with a tissue or the like.
--
Best regards
Han

I just saw that - will have to pick up a set next trip to Costco.
Add pictures here
✖
Robert Neville wrote:

I think you'll like them, they are the first I've tried that I consider ready for prime time.
Add pictures here
✖
And you expect to get honest answers on a public list?
How many 100W Incandescent light bulbs do you have stocked up? Just curious if others are stocking up? I have 224 bulbs (56 four packs) so far, and plan to get at least 124 more bulbs. They were leaving the stores so fast, I just told a local store to order me forty packs of them, which they did about a month ago.
Add pictures here
✖
On 12/23/2011 2:30 AM, snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com wrote:

Per earlier discussion re: bulbs for outdoor use, I have stockpiled several dozen; I forget just how many 8-packs I bought for the barn. I figure by the time they're gone either I will be too, or there will be a suitable replacement (it's the warmup time that is the primary culprit as discussed in the thread a month or so ago).
I still like the incandescent better for many purposes in the house as well despite the better-than-used-to-be color of current CFLs so haven't switched over entirely. In particular, the house is an early 1900s farm house w/ period ceiling fixtures that the CFLs simply do not look right in and aesthetics _are_ important, too.

✖
On 12/23/2011 12:36 PM, Pete C. wrote: ...

I've never seen an LG-branded lamp in town. There are no COSTCO or their ilk within 200 miles...
I don't recall what the couple of LEDs I did see were on a shelf; they were more like the $18/ea though it seems and I have a hard time thinking a light bulb should cost a twenty... :)
We're giving out Niagara-branded CFLs from the co-op to convert folks as we can; they're not too bad for most applications but still look kinda' funky in old fixtures; new and old just don't mix well.
They're better in cold-start than the old ones but still take quite a time to reach brightness in really cold weather. It was 3F this AM; the one in the car garage was just bright enough could tell it was trying when I went out early when flipped it on.
There's nothing wrong w/ adding a little heat in the barn on cold mornings or late nights, either, as far as I'm concerned... :) Doesn't help much overall, but can be noticed in a closed area after a little while if the wind isn't too bad.
✖
dpb wrote:

This is the lamp: http://www.lg.com/us/led-lighting/led-bulbs/LG-bulb-LB08D827L0A.E50JWU0.jsp
You would think it wouldn't work well in something like a table lamp with an upward facing socket, but it actually works just fine in one that has the typical tapered shade. Enough light gets reflected down that you don't really see a difference vs. an incandescent.
Add pictures here
✖

I had found them like that, but even Amazon only sells them for $33 per 2-pack. That is at least 3x too much for now.
--
Best regards
Han