How hard is it to add a small corner seat to an existing shower stall?

Page 1 of 2
I'd like to put a small seat somewhere in our shower. Is this something I might be able to do myself or should I hire a contractor?
I'm thinking of something that I can just screw or glue onto the existing shower. I don't want to remove any tiles and build it in. Is that possible or reasonable?
The shower has 4x4 tiles over sheetrock.
Here are a couple of examples I found.
http://www.johnbridge.com/how-to/shower-seat /
http://tinyurl.com/5vbg3rk
It doesn't need to be as fancy as either of those.

The two examples you posted are elegant solutions to your project. Another solution would be to build a bench out of teak or red wood as deployed in saunas. Not as fancy but easier on the budget. JoeG
On 7/7/2011 2:33 PM, GROVER wrote:

Speaking from experience, wooden seats and/or floor grates in interior showers are an upkeep and smell PITA, and impossible to keep clean. Unless you are holding parties in the shower, who cares what it looks like? Cheap easy solution is plastic and metal seat from medical aids store, or even local thrift store. And it would be a LOT cheaper than teak or redwood.
--
aem sends...

Strongly endorse this approach. A lightweight plastic shower chair would be the ideal solution. Save you a fortune in carpentry & plumbing.
HB
www.rationality.net
"aemeijers" < snipped-for-privacy@att.net> wrote in message

That's a good idea. Thanks.
On 7/10/2011 6:48 AM, Jennifer Murphy wrote:

I checked out our local Goodwill. Goodwill loans out handicapped assistance devices for free on a short-term loan basis. Everything from canes and walkers to wheelchairs to shower chairs and raised toilet seats. They accept donated items, disinfect and sanitize them, then loan them out. So visit your local Goodwill's product rental facility and inspect their shower chair inventory. When you find a likely-looking model, note the specs then go out and buy one.
And by the way, a.h.r folks - if you ever have a handicapped assistance device you no longer need, donate it to Goodwill. There are a lot of people who will be very grateful that they can borrow it while they are incapacitated or recuperating, instead of having to buy what they need.
Hell Toupee wrote:

the local elks club does this too
On 7/11/2011 5:29 PM, Hell Toupee wrote: (snip)

I'll second that- and don't forget Salvation Army and the various local charitable thrifts as well. They might not have lending closets, but most stock and sell assistive items dirt cheap. When my father started having to use a walker due to a 'routine' spinal operation that didn't work out, we set him up with several walkers- one for house, one to keep in car, and one where we added lawnmower wheels so it would work in grass, at a fraction of the price of new.
-- aem sends...

Buy/make a wooden stool.
nb
Jennifer Murphy wrote:

having built a few of these, i can say it's a LOT easier to build if you have new construction. you'd have to demo parts of the walls, build it, then ensure it doesn't leak by rebuilding the walls and floor correctly. it'd be a lot easier to just make/buy a wooden bench.
On 7/7/2011 2:39 PM, chaniarts wrote:

I once saw a fiberglass shower stall that had molded in section that looked like a recliner. I thought how cool is that? You can lay back and let the water spray all over you. :-)
TDD

That's a very good idea. Thanks.
Jennifer Murphy wrote:

And probably the best one in your case. You can also get inexpensive, small, plastic stools at Home Depot and many other places.
A built in one wouldn't be all that hard - your DIY was very good - IF the shower wasn't already tiled.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

I bought an aluminum adjustable 4-legged shower seat on Amazon last year ($25.55) because I needed it after I had broken my leg (yesterday the orthopedist declared it fully healed - no need for any more follow-up).
It is light, fairly compact and really comfortable. When not needed it obviously can be packed upinto the attic, where it doesn't take space in the shower. (Bathtub with shower, including a bar that the handheld head can be put on for vertical adjustment higher for me than for spouse)
--
Best regards
Han

Is that model still available?

This was it: <(Amazon.com product link shortened)>
Note: I had a broken leg that couldn't bear weight, but no problems with my equilibrium.
--
Best regards
Han

That is the one I was leaning to, but in white.

That stool looks fairly stable.

It is stable. Of course it may depend on who is to use it. I'm 5'9" and ~200 lbs <grin>
--
Best regards
Han