How hard is it to add a small corner seat to an existing shower stall?

I'd like to put a small seat somewhere in our shower. Is this something I might be able to do myself or should I hire a contractor?

I'm thinking of something that I can just screw or glue onto the existing shower. I don't want to remove any tiles and build it in. Is that possible or reasonable?

The shower has 4x4 tiles over sheetrock.

Here are a couple of examples I found.

It doesn't need to be as fancy as either of those.

Reply to
Jennifer Murphy

GROVER

The two examples you posted are elegant solutions to your project. Another solution would be to build a bench out of teak or red wood as deployed in saunas. Not as fancy but easier on the budget. JoeG

Reply to
GROVER

Buy/make a wooden stool.

nb

Reply to
notbob

having built a few of these, i can say it's a LOT easier to build if you have new construction. you'd have to demo parts of the walls, build it, then ensure it doesn't leak by rebuilding the walls and floor correctly. it'd be a lot easier to just make/buy a wooden bench.

Reply to
chaniarts

That's a very good idea. Thanks.

Reply to
Jennifer Murphy

Speaking from experience, wooden seats and/or floor grates in interior showers are an upkeep and smell PITA, and impossible to keep clean. Unless you are holding parties in the shower, who cares what it looks like? Cheap easy solution is plastic and metal seat from medical aids store, or even local thrift store. And it would be a LOT cheaper than teak or redwood.

Reply to
aemeijers

I once saw a fiberglass shower stall that had molded in section that looked like a recliner. I thought how cool is that? You can lay back and let the water spray all over you. :-)

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Strongly endorse this approach. A lightweight plastic shower chair would be the ideal solution. Save you a fortune in carpentry & plumbing.

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

And probably the best one in your case. You can also get inexpensive, small, plastic stools at Home Depot and many other places.

A built in one wouldn't be all that hard - your DIY was very good - IF the shower wasn't already tiled.

Reply to
dadiOH

Just keep in mind that shower floors aren't level. They slope at varying angles towards the drain.

This could be a slight issue with anything that you build or buy - it might rock or wobble.

You didn't say if the floor was tiled or not. If it's fiberglass, and if I wasn't sure if there was a firm concrete bed under it, I'd avoid anything with narrow, pointed legs.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

"dadiOH" wrote in news:iv6t1r$v10$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

I bought an aluminum adjustable 4-legged shower seat on Amazon last year ($25.55) because I needed it after I had broken my leg (yesterday the orthopedist declared it fully healed - no need for any more follow-up).

It is light, fairly compact and really comfortable. When not needed it obviously can be packed upinto the attic, where it doesn't take space in the shower. (Bathtub with shower, including a bar that the handheld head can be put on for vertical adjustment higher for me than for spouse)

Reply to
Han

Is that model still available?

Reply to
Jennifer Murphy

The floor is tiled. I think it's laid on the subflooring. We've had some people of "above average" weight in there, so I think 4 legs with fairly wide, rubber feet should be OK.

Reply to
Jennifer Murphy

Jennifer Murphy wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

This was it:

Note: I had a broken leg that couldn't bear weight, but no problems with my equilibrium.

Reply to
Han

OP-

Looks like the group consensus is buy vs build (wood or tile).

The unit that Oren linked to appears to be a design with 3 feet......no wobble.

A shower retrofit (demo, frame, tile) is going to cost at least 10x what a purchased seat would cost.

Is the shower stall large enough for a seat? My tile guy talked me out of a tiled / in shower seat.......shower stall was not big enough. 32 x 42 neo-corner

My suggestion, buy one from

& you're done.

cheers Bob

Reply to
DD_BobK

Hey Bob. In this instance (OP's above-average weight shower occupants), four legs would certainly be safer. A little wobble you can live with (and those chairs aren't stiff enough to resist racking, anyway), but going ass over tea kettle in a shower you might not live with.

RicodJour

That is the one I was leaning to, but in white.

That stool looks fairly stable.

Reply to
Jennifer Murphy

I agree but that three footed corner stool that Oren lined to looked pretty stable.

I did miss "above average weight" comment.

cheers Bob

Reply to
DD_BobK

Jennifer Murphy wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

It is stable. Of course it may depend on who is to use it. I'm 5'9" and ~200 lbs

Reply to
Han