How do you tell good carpet from bad carpet?

Wow, that was the most amazing gracious act I've ever seen on this or any NG! You sure as hell know your "carpet and carpet sales practices!" Now if we had somebody like you for every aspect of house building and repairing, we'd all be home free! Thanks, pal!

HB

[... article...]
Reply to
Higgs Boson

Dunno if my comment made it, so re-posting.

That was the most amazing gracious act I've every seen on this or any NG! You sure as hell know your "carpet and carpet sales practices!. Now if we had somebody like you for every aspect of house building and repair, we'd all be home free. Thanks, pal!

HB

[....article...]
Reply to
Higgs Boson

risk catching Hell and attach an article I wrote years ago

It did, but I'm sure he liked hearing it again!

RicodJour

The way you tell is to turn it over and count the density of the stitches on the back.

=A0Sometimes you get lucky. =A0Love

Reply to
Higgs Boson

ote:

Doesn't the rubber backing wear off in time with multiple washings? Mine always do.

Reply to
Higgs Boson

Doesn't the rubber backing wear off in time with multiple washings? Mine always do. ===========

I believe the dryer is the culprit there, not the washing.

Cheri

Reply to
Cheri

Other downside is, with cheap rugs and cheap vinyl, it is a lifetime commitment, since those rubber backs are notorious for staining the vinyl.

Reply to
aemeijers

Like I said, I defy you to tell the difference. This one is dense; as much as if not more so than the "real" one in the guest bedroom.

I've seen some rugs of *lesser* quality from the middle east. If you know what you're looking for, you can still get good deals, especially

2nd-hand.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

I used to think stain repellency was a good indicator. My brother had an off white carpet and I spilled red wine on it. I got the wine out with nothing but water. I had a new carpet intalled in a rental I lived in for about 6 yrs. The short nap changed to an unidentifiable fuzz in high traffic areas within 2-3 yrs and no doubt needed replacement after I moved.

Yikes! Carpets are one of the biggest rip-offs in home industry. After I helped my buddy/landlord install the carpet I mention above, I swore I'd never pay for carpet installation again. Building new steps (5!) for my deck was harder.

nb

Reply to
notbob

Yes. Nothing lasts forever.

I wash mine in cold water and dry them on low. This gives an acceptable lifetime for the rubber backing. I suppose I could hang them dry, but I can't be bothered.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton
.

Of course, if you have cheap rugs and ceramic tile (as I do), it's not a problem. If I had vinyl, I probably wouldn't need the rugs. That damned ceramic tile is COLD.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

I have two small Oriental rungs -- the real thing-. Once in a long while, I take them outside, hose them off, use a little cool water soap, rinse VERY well, allow to dry in the sun.

Wouldn't work with my room-size Kashmiri carpet, so I just vacuum and hope for the best. Doesn't get heavy wear, so let us pray.

Reply to
Higgs Boson

I have never had a dryer; always used that Big Dryer in the Sky.

However, I was idiot enough to wash one rubber-backed rug on ***hot water setting***. QED.

Reply to
Higgs Boson