How do I kill trees when all that is left is the stump?

I've got some small trees that like to grow around my backyard sidewalk. I've cut them off near the ground, and left no leaves at all, and yet they continue to grow back. So, how do I kill these tree stumps once and for all?
Rod
Rod wrote:

"Paint" the stumps w/ Roundup or 2,4-D. If some leaves come back again, let them and then spray them too for better takeup. If spray though, if there's grass to not be killed, use the 2,4-D, not the Roundup, of course.

Also, it's best to hit them with an herbicide like Roundup immediately after cutting them, so that the wound doesn't heal over. For invasives like Brazilian Pepper you should try to use the herbicide within the first minute or two after lopping off the growing part.

gasoline will do it, just dribbled on whatever you want to kill.
yeah i know, its looked down upon but not that mnany years ago everyone did it this way
random words that came up with:

Find a rental place and rent a stump grinder. It shouldn't cost much and it will get the whole stump out in less than an hour.

Find a rental place and rent a stump grinder. It shouldn't cost much and it will get the whole stump out in less than an hour.
My guess is that the insurance will be more than hiring someone in to do the job. It only cost me $25 to have someone do this dangerous job.
dpb wrote:

I like drilling a few holes in it and pouring the roundup down them.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit

Good advice, except it needs to be undiluted straight out of the bottle. Doesn't take much, just need to cover the area between the wood and the bark all the way around the stump.
Red

Damn, how'd that second post get in there? Guess I double clicked when I shouldn't have. Red

Good advice, except it needs to be undiluted straight out of the bottle. Doesn't take much, just need to cover the area between the wood and the bark all the way around the stump.
Red

I've actually used clear lacquer when that was all I had handy. I suppose any kind of spray paint would work, but clear doesn't make your house look like the ghetto house.
nate

Cut the stump low enough that you can mow over it.
Phisherman wrote:

Depending on the variety, that may only encourage more shoots rather than killing it...

Drill holes and fill holes with table salt.

Use a pick and shovel to dig up the stumps for removal. Bring in some topsoil and cover the site completely. Grade it nice and smooth then plant some grass.

Use Brush Killer (2-4-d). Mix the concentrate with a small amount of diesel fuel. Wet the stump (preferably a fresh cut), spill a little around the stump.
That sucker will not bother you again.
Keep pets and children away from the treated are until it is well dried.
Okay I added the spill a little. For the flamers the rest of the directions are on the label or used to be.
Colbyt
Rod wrote: : I've got some small trees that like to grow around my backyard : sidewalk. I've cut them off near the ground, and left no leaves at : all, and yet they continue to grow back. So, how do I kill these : tree stumps once and for all? : : Rod
This has always worked for me. Drill a 1/2" hole about 8 - 10 inches down into the stump. Drill several if it's a large stump. Pour 50% Roundup down the hole and plug the hole with silicone or other sealant to prevent evaporation.
Larry Australia