How do I ground my new porch light?

I'm replacing my porch light fixture, and the new light has a ground wire, but there are only a black and a white wrie coming out of the metal box, and no ground wire. Where do I connect the ground? Directly to the metal box?

Thanks Brad

Reply to
B. Rhodes

Is the box grounded? That is; is a copper wire screwed to it, or is the black and white wires inside a metal conduit? If so it is likely the box is grounded. You need to check that however. If it is not grounded there are several options including GFI. However I am going to guess you don't have a lot of experience and determining what method to use may be beyond you current experience and explaining it over the internet is beyond mine.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Depends on how your house was wired (dictated by the wiring standards in place at that time).

The ground wire could be attached to the metal box. Look in there and see if you see it. If you have armored cable they could have used the armor for a ground path or if your house is old there could be no ground wire.

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

Maybe, but do a practical test first. First, buy or prepare a test lamp of fairly decent wattage, like 15-30 watts. One of those ready made sockets with leads on them will work. Install rubber insulated alligator clips to the leads. Turn off the pwer and clip one lead to the black wire and the other to the metal box. Turn on the power. If the lamp glows normally you likely have a grounded box. If that is the case then the fixture ground may be connected to the box. If you feel uncertain about any of the foregoing, call a journeyman electrician and get it done to code. Your choice. HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst

Why, the box is all it will ever be. If he is really concerned, put the circuit on a GFCI.

Reply to
Greg