How do I find a broken wire?

Page 1 of 2
How do I find a broken wire?
I have a 100 foot orange extension cord that doesn't work.
Usually when I cut one in half with a hedge trimmer, it's fairly easy to find the defect. And then I fix it.
Other times I use pins to check continuity near the plug or socket, where cords usually break.
But this time the problem is somewhere in the middle! If I worked for the electric compnay, or the cable company, or even probably the gas company, I'd have some clever tool that find open circuits in the middle of wires, even underground.
Is there something I have around the house or can buy cheaply that will do this?
I found for only 45 dollars an Armada Tone Probe, that works with a tone gneerator, but I guess I want some method that is cheaper!

I bought a non-contact tester for about $5. Plug the cord in and (if it's the black wire ) check the length. If it's the white, you need to use an adapter for the plug to reverse the polarity. (You could jumper *short* the female end and then check going back to the plug...not the safest!)
On Fri, 25 Feb 2011 03:49:27 -0800 (PST), Bob Villa

That sounds like a great idea. I even have one of those somewhere. And maybe another one somewhere else.
It will be a while before I find them.
On Fri, 25 Feb 2011 03:49:27 -0800 (PST), Bob Villa

To do the reverse thing, just use one of those 3prong to 2 prong ground adaptors (made to use a grounded plug on a none grounded outlet). If one prong is wider on the adaptor, just grind it down.
Another thing the OP could do is cut the cord in half. One of the halves will always work. Out a new male or female end on that part an toss the other half in the recycle bin. You'll have one working 50ft cord in the end.
snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com wrote:

With most of these, you'll have to also remove the ground prong or cut off the useless bitof plasticon the plug (that keeps you from putting a plug in reversed).

Unless the break is exactly in the middle, that'd give you a shorter working cord than if you find the break and cut there.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmm
Re read what I said......
Ground Adaptors DO NOT have ground prongs.
snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com wrote:

Sorry about that mistake.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us
On Fri, 25 Feb 2011 19:21:46 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com wrote:

I'm reluctant to do the shorter cord thing, because with 100 feet I can reach almost the entire townhouse back yard when it's plugged in at the front. I can also reach my car. I have another 100 foot cord, but if that were to break, I'd have none, so I have to fix this one before that one breaks. :) Yes I could use more than one cord in a row, but that's not esthetically pleasing to me. :>)
You can purchase a non-contact voltage tester @ HF for $7 and it works great.
Im not sure if this will work, but plug in the cord and run the tester along starting from the outlet. I would believe it it will detect power until it hits the bad spot then stop. Someone with better electrical experience will correct me if I'm wrong.
SBH wrote:

Here's the link for the $7 tester. http://www.harborfreight.com/non-contact-voltage-tester-97218.html
I have one from another manufacturer and it's quite useful.
HeyBub wrote:

The one I have was sold to fix strings of miniature holiday lights. It would be less useful to some, bacause they don't tell you what it actually does. It's a non-contact voltage tester.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

Thanks. I may be near harbor freight on Thursday.
It turns out the things I had weren't quite the same and I don't think they would work. here.

I'm slow...but I did get it!
On Feb 25, 10:02am, "Stormin Mormon"

We were already covered...as far as testing for the white wire. TYHOOYA
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Or any wire you connect hot to.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

It was covered in the beginning of the thread...let's try to catch- up.

you sure? You've replaced both ends? Checked your work? If that failed, I'd pull the 100feet through my bare hand a couple times to see where the indent was.
I might try non-contact voltmeter if I had one-- but I'm more likely to make 2 50 foot cords first. One of them will work. If I needed a 25, I might make a couple of them too.
-snip-

I sure wouldn't spend $45 for a tool to fix a $25 [16/3] to $60 [12/3] cord.
Jim

If it's a long 12/3 cord, you can actually spin that as justification to buy another tool. Really, I'm surprised that you don't understand this. :)
nate

-snip-
Thankyou for waking me up. I thought I was just having a bad dream. it was real? I wrote "I wouldn't buy a tool'?
I've got to quit dozing at the keyboard. Sorry if anyone was harmed by my negligence.
Jim

LOL