How do I find a broken wire?

LOL

Reply to
mm

To do the reverse thing, just use one of those 3prong to 2 prong ground adaptors (made to use a grounded plug on a none grounded outlet). If one prong is wider on the adaptor, just grind it down.

Another thing the OP could do is cut the cord in half. One of the halves will always work. Out a new male or female end on that part an toss the other half in the recycle bin. You'll have one working 50ft cord in the end.

Reply to
jw

Easy, cut it in half and put new ends on it, one will work the other won't, so cut the one that doesn't work in half and put new ends on it, and ............

Reply to
FatterDumber& Happier Moe

A little pocket AM radio works well as a break finder. Tune it so it picks up the hum from a live line then run it up and down the cord. You may have to energize the wires separately to prevent interference. The AM radio will even pick up the RF harmonics from a tone generator like those used for tracing phone wires.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I heard that an AM pocket radio will work. I was not sure how. I found this:

Here's from the January 1954 issue of Popular Mechanics (Yes, they did have electricity back in 1954 :) )

Turn on a radio at a spot between stations (since this is from 1954, they would mean an AM radio). Then with the extension cord carrying current, roll it between your hands and push and pull the cord at points where it joins the plug and the socket as well as at any suspected trouble spot. If the radio sputters during the test, the spot being checked needs repair.

In other words, plug in the cord, attach a load such as a light bulb (probably a larger one that will draw enough current like a 100W incandescent) into it. With an AM radio turned on and tuned between stations, push, pull, wiggle, jerk, and tug on the cord. If it makes contact, you'll hear this on the radio. (Of course the light bulb may light too, but you'll likely hear the sound first on the radio).

Weblink:

ALSO

If you happen to have a pet alert transmitter, do this:

OR

You can build this:

jw

[...]

With most of these, you'll have to also remove the ground prong or cut off the useless bitof plasticon the plug (that keeps you from putting a plug in reversed).

Unless the break is exactly in the middle, that'd give you a shorter working cord than if you find the break and cut there.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

These are very good ideas. Thanks. I wish I had time tomorrow to try all this stuff.

Reply to
mm

I'm reluctant to do the shorter cord thing, because with 100 feet I can reach almost the entire townhouse back yard when it's plugged in at the front. I can also reach my car. I have another 100 foot cord, but if that were to break, I'd have none, so I have to fix this one before that one breaks. :) Yes I could use more than one cord in a row, but that's not esthetically pleasing to me. :>)

Reply to
mm

Agreed. The orange cables should be considered consumable items. Unless the failure can be found by Mark I eyeball exam and easily repaired, time for a new one.

Reply to
aemeijers

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmm

Re read what I said......

Ground Adaptors DO NOT have ground prongs.

Reply to
jw

If you can stick a pin in at the end, why can't you stick a pin in the middle and do the same? Half-interval search should get you close in no time.

Reply to
mike

I could but it it would take more than no time. In fact, it took too long just to do the ends. I have to try several times to hit the wire and each time is hard because the rubber or vinyl is tougher than it used to be a few years ago. But it was worth it since it was most likely at the end. I could use an awl instead of a pin, and that would go faster, but I don't want to make holes that big. (When I try multiple times, I can usually use the same outer hole.) I used to have a collection of corsage pins for jobs like this, with big handles, but they seem to have been used up, so I was reduced to using plain straight pins, and they don't work as fast either.

But either way, this is a trip of discovery. To find new ways to do things. To buy new tools (while still making a distinction betwwen 7 dollars and 45 plus S&H.), or by using the radio, and that's the advantage of this discussion, .

Reply to
mm

I measure the capacitance of the cable using the C function of my VOM. Measure from each end. Add these two together to get the total capacitance of the cable. Smallest cap value will indicate the short side largest the longest. percent of total capacitance will correspond directly to to percent of total length of the cable.

Now you know everything you need to know to locate the break. Breaks immediately at either end (the usual case) will be very obvious.

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

You mean "too long" compared to the time you spent on this thread? I'VE spent more time on this thread than it would have taken to do it with a pin.

I've never used one of these, but I can't imagine it will do what you want. The objective of the device is NOT to find the distance to the break of one open wire in a cable.

What you can do with stuff you have around the house is critically dependent on what stuff you have around the house.

Based on what I have around the house...

I'd start with a physical inspection. I'm not saying that it can't happen, but I've never seen a broken wire without some outward sign of abuse.

Next, I'd use the pin. Third choice would be a time domain reflectometer, but if you had one around the house, you'd probably not have asked the question.

Fourth, I'd measure the capacitance across the plug from each end. ratio of distances to break should be approximately the ratio of capacitances.

If I wanted a simple, zero cost, dead accurate (pun intended) method and I were stupid, I'd short one end and hook lotsa volts across the other end and flex the cable until it exploded at the break. If you use a stun-gun, you'll probably be able to hear the arc, but it won't be nearly as exciting as an explosion and fire...but having a couple a hundred thousand volts up near your ear could have exciting consequences and make a wet spot on the floor where you collapse.

The PIN is sensible.

Reply to
mike

Don't prick your finger!

Reply to
Bob Villa

Sorry about that mistake.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

replying to Bob Villa, Barend wrote: An easy low tech way is to short out one end of the extention and take the outhe side- connect it to a welber output-set the welder to a low amprage- about 50 amp- switch it on and take a stick or a piece of insulated pipe and walk along the cord picking it up at about 2 m interviles- as soon as you find the fault piece it wil burn through the cord- cut it there and you have your problem

Reply to
Barend