How can I clear this thorny brush? Is there a machine I could rent?

Hi there all,
I would like to clear a 100 foot stretch, 10 feet wide, right next to my fence (on the outer side). Its all tough brambly and thorny sticks and some leaves. It won't burn very quickly, and that's illegal in NJ anyway.
What can I use to clear it? I could have a go with a hedge trimmer, but that's looks like a PITA to me, some of the sticks are too thick. Can I rent something like one of those machines the state uses to clear the side of the road bushes, only smaller version? Any other ideas?
Thanks, as usual!
Dean
dean wrote:

http://www.echo-usa.com/prods_item.asp?Model=PPF-210&Category=POWERPRUNER
or the equivlent.
dean wrote:

I would use my Echo grass trimmer with a metal blade attached. And I'd wear gloves, blue jeans, and a long-sleeve shirt.
When I was younger, I've cleared stuff like that with a swing-blade.
Best regards, Bob
I have one of those, with the metal blade, but the problem is the brush is around 5 feet high and there's just so much of it. Those machines work pretty well for a while close to the gound, but I think I need something more than that. Besides, I f*$#@&% hate using those machines.
I've used such a combo to thin saplings in Maine. The trimmer has a straight shaft- don't even think about the ones with a coil-spring "shaft." 3" diam., maybe 25' high are doable, with experience and care.
There are "flail-mowers" too, like used along various highways, that use chains under a large rotary-mower deck. Really beat the crap out of anything that gets in the way.
HTH, J
dean,
I'd also recommend using a brush cutter to clear this. Height shouldn't matter. You want to clear a path through the thorns and get to the trunk near the roots. Sometimes hedge clippers come in handy in clearing a path to the trunks. I find that after clearing I need to go back a few times and cut off new growth. You could also try Round-Up, I suppose.
Dave M.
http://www.countryhomeproducts.com /
Perhaps you can find something similar at the rental store. Rob
dean writes:

Chain saw. Work your way in.
I did some last time with a chain saw, and it was just too dangerous to go swinging that thing about.

You can, but it will eat the fence just as fast as it will eat the brambles. And they're *REALLY* dangerous. As in, will lift a rock the size of your head and launch it 100' through any nearby windshields, walls, or body parts. So you'd probably be better off renting an operator to go with it. I've always just used a brush-axe for that sort of thing, followed up with a lawnmower that I don't mind abusing. The downside of that for most people is that the batwing mowers do a pretty good job of mulching, where a brush-axe doesn't.
--Goedjn
dean wrote:

You can rent a walk-behind sickel bar mower (at least you can around here). You can also rent a walk-behind brush hog. Both of these will do this easily. In fact they are overkill for the job, but it won't take you long to clear 100' x 10'. Way faster than any trimmer.
However they are both fairly big machines, so you need at least a station wagon to get them from the rental site to your site. And you'll need another person at your site to help you unload and load again (or ramps). You can usually dismantle the handlebars easily, and you can separate the sickel bar from the rest of the unit -- both of these things make it easier to transport. If you can't transport it, most mower places will pick up and deliver for a fee.
The brush hog is also known as a billy-goat (brand name), or a field mower.
Call around to rental places, and to mower sales/repair places, to see what's available.
In western NY I can rent a sickel bar mower for $40/half-day, $60/day. The brush hog is similar, as I recall.
Of course neither will get as close to the fence as a trimmer, though they will get closer than you might think. I would use the machine to do most of it, and then do the rest by hand (or with your trimmer since you say you have one).
Terry
dean wrote:

Hire/rent a tractor. You couldn't get right next to the fence but you could sure reduce the handwork.
dadiOH's dandies v3.06... ....a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at http://mysite.verizon.net/xico