How busy do you want your roofer to be?

In my opinion based on what you told us, there are multiple reasons why this could be so I wouldn't draw conclusions yet. I'm not saying you are wrong for thinking this way just that I think its too early so my advice is to wait till you two talk again and then see if you still feel the same way. I guess if you do feel this way after the next talk, you better find another roofer.... in other words follow your gut feeling.

Reply to
Doug

"to draw a conclusion ... ", I should have inserted here before.

Reply to
Doug

I got a quote from him today. Reasonable...as my neighbor said, not the cheapest but not the most expensive.

Nice guy, had all the right answers to my questions, even mentioned that I was asking all the right questions. He said most people just nod at what he says. He'd rather they ask questions so that everyone is on the same page about what is needed and what will be done. He even noticed something that my last roofer had done that I knew was wrong but wasn't a big issue. Nobody else had even brought it up.

I didn't mention that I knew he was going to do my neighbor's roof, but he brought up the address, saying he was doing it in 2 weeks. That's when I told him that I knew "Susie". He said she certainly did her homework, called his references, drove by other jobs he had done, etc.

So, he got the job. As it turns out, he may not be able to do it next week...he gave somebody else an estimate yesterday and if they call by the end of the weekend, they get first choice. If not, and weather permitting, he's good to go late next week.

Now, the next question is what kind of soffit vents do I want...pucks or rectangles. Just a bit more research to do.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Good Luck, hope it all goes well. Just curious, how many squares do you need and what is the pitch on the majority of the roof? And is this a complete tearoff vs. just an overlay? If you don't know or don't want to give out, I understand.

Reply to
Doug

You don't want to be doing a black roof in August - trust me!!! I did 2 on the farm one summer when I was 14 and it darn near killed me.

Reply to
clare

I've seen a lot of guys who are two weeks away from starting, even when they've got nothing to do. You don't want to be too picky to take "yes" for an answer.

J.

Reply to
JRStern

summer roofs lay better, smooth and likely the shingles stick down better to.

i know for a fact cold weather is a bad time to install roofs.

and black is a poor color choice in most places.

it causes excess roof heating, making homes with or without AC hotter, and black shingles have shorter lives

Reply to
bob haller

All true. I went with dark gray instead.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

No.

Spring and fall are better times to put up shingles vs summer (from the pov of the comfort and exertion of the installers). You don't want to handle and walk on shingles in the heat of summer.

The shingles will stick just fine once they get hot (and they will eventually get hot once summer rolls around) and they will "smooth" out over time (not that I buy the idea that they can somehow be laid anything but flat and smooth regardless the temperature).

I agree that black is the worst color to have for shingles (because of heat) followed by the very lightest colors (because of staining).

Reply to
Home Guy

They need to get hot fairly soon after they're laid, though, or they may not flatten out. You risk the whole job until it does get hot enough to seal them.

I don't see *any* light colored roofs where I live (either AL or GA). Most newer houses do use black or a very dark brown. You see, the dirt is red. ;-)

Reply to
krw

snipped-for-privacy@a5g2000vbl.googlegroups.com:

The roofer say that I can get the right amount of intake from either pucks or rectangles based on how many he installs.

It's mainly about the look.

I'm leaning towards rectangles.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

It's not whether I want to give out the information or not, it's more about why are you curious about it? What will that information do for you?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I suggest that anyone seriously following this thread read this:

================= Owens Corning ?Your shingles contain strips of asphalt sealant that require direct warm sunlight for several days in order to seal properly."

GAF ?All self-sealing shingles, including GAFMC?s, must be subjected to warm sunlight for several days before full thermal sealing can occur."

What does this mean?

The precise amount of time a shingle must be exposed to a certain minimum temperature before it should seal properly is unclear.

However, it is clear that the industry has great concern about installing self-sealing asphalt shingles in cold weather for fear that they will not seal down in time to prevent otherwise avoidable damage, or that they may never seal as designed, as experience suggests.

Consider the dilemma ? self-sealing shingles can?t seal down unless they?re exposed to sufficient heat for a sufficient amount of time. This heat will only be present in many parts of the U.S. and Canada in late spring, summer, or early fall. However, it is common sense that roofs are installed year round; therefore, it is also common sense that many asphalt shingle roofs are installed during a time of year when they have little to no chance of self-sealing. In turn, unless the roofing contractor takes laborintensive hand-sealing precautions, these roofs are then unsealed and susceptible to wind uplifting, creasing, or possible blow-off ? damages that are likely to occur during non-severe weather and which are not attributable to a manufacturing defect.

There is both good and bad news.

The good news: When warm weather eventually arrives and the shingles get warm enough that the sealant strip malleates and tries to bond to the overlying or underlying shingle, they might seal properly. The bad news: Since the shingles were exposed to the elements for perhaps several months prior to warm temperatures, and were therefore drying out during that time (an inherent quality of all asphalts), they may or may not ever reach the full amount of adhesion the manufacturer intended. ====================

I had my roof put on in October, in a climate similar to Detroit, Toronto or Buffalo. My shingles were architectural shingles (more heavy than the standard 3-tab). They sealed just fine.

Even on what you think is a cool day -> if it's sunny and not too much wind your shingles will get nice and warm (and will flatten out and seal properly). This is the sort of weather that you're going to want to install them at anyways.

Reply to
Home Guy

On 4/22/2012 8:58 AM, Home Guy wrote: ...

If'en they actually get direct sun; meanwhile the side that doesn't may well not be warm enough at all...and here's a reason so many roofers will choose the dark color specifically for the warming effect whereas a light color will reflect a far higher percentage of the incident radiation and may not get warm enough. The homeowner then pays the price of higher cooling bills and earlier wearout from the hot weather--"you can pay me now or you can pay me later".

--

Reply to
dpb

What I'm doing next time is getting the southern exposure done in as white as possible and the north in whatever color the wife wants. From the street you can only see the north side anyway.

I know this idea has been kicked around before, but has anyone here painted shingles with anything like SnowRoof? I've used on flat roofs and duct work. The mfg site says nothing about shingles IIRC.

Reply to
gonjah

Apparently some people in California and Florida paint their roofs.

Just do a search for "roofing paint". You'll get lots of hits.

---------- Acrylux Roof Mastic

Acrylux Roof Mastic forms a thick waterproof membrane when rolled on in two thick heavy coats. When applied to a seamless well pitched roof like cement tile or shingles, Roof Mastic will provide years of waterproof protection and extend the life of an aging roof. A thick layer of roof mastic will expand and contract like flexible rubber and keeps water out while protecting and maintaining breathability. Acrylux has a waterproof process for virtually any roof using roof mastic. To find the right procedure for your roof, click here.

REFLECTANCE

Acrylux Roof Mastic his highly reflective and can reduce roof surface temperatures up to 60 degrees F. This can mean a reduced indoor temperature of up to 40 degrees F. depending on the insulation and absorption of roofing material and attic air space. These results are possible due to the 86% solar reflectance and 89% thermal emittance of any roof properly coated with Acrylux Roof Mastic. Acrylux Roof Mastic has Energy Star and FPL approval which may qualify you for special rebates and money saving offers.

---------

Reply to
Home Guy

Thanks. Looks pricey. I think I'll wait until my insurance company has to buy me a new roof and just get the white shingles. ;)

Reply to
gonjah

assume a shingle roof is installed in october, and fails to get hot enough to seal till spring. say june......

in the meantime dust gets into the sealing sufaces and they never adhere properly.

a few short years later and your getting another new roof........

This happened to a couple friends...... really inconvenient:(

Let the roofer suffer in the heat, have the roof installed in mid summer.

here crews start work early like daybreak and quit early to avoid the worst part of the heat.......

might as well do a roof right in your lifetime how many will you pay for?

Reply to
bob haller

Do I have to have a reason to be curious? Just forget I asked.

Reply to
Doug

Doug used improper usenet message composition style by unnecessarily full-quoting:

No, but you should have a reason for being a bone-head full-quoter and fully quoting over 100 lines of the message you're replying to - only to add a single line of new content to the thread.

Reply to
Home Guy