How busy do you want your roofer to be?

Page 2 of 3  
gonjah wrote:

Apparently some people in California and Florida paint their roofs.
http://acrylux.com /
Just do a search for "roofing paint". You'll get lots of hits.
---------- Acrylux Roof Mastic
Acrylux Roof Mastic forms a thick waterproof membrane when rolled on in two thick heavy coats. When applied to a seamless well pitched roof like cement tile or shingles, Roof Mastic will provide years of waterproof protection and extend the life of an aging roof. A thick layer of roof mastic will expand and contract like flexible rubber and keeps water out while protecting and maintaining breathability. Acrylux has a waterproof process for virtually any roof using roof mastic. To find the right procedure for your roof, click here.
http://acrylux.com/wp_instructions /
REFLECTANCE
Acrylux Roof Mastic his highly reflective and can reduce roof surface temperatures up to 60 degrees F. This can mean a reduced indoor temperature of up to 40 degrees F. depending on the insulation and absorption of roofing material and attic air space. These results are possible due to the 86% solar reflectance and 89% thermal emittance of any roof properly coated with Acrylux Roof Mastic. Acrylux Roof Mastic has Energy Star and FPL approval which may qualify you for special rebates and money saving offers. ---------
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 4/22/2012 10:39 AM, Home Guy wrote:

Thanks. Looks pricey. I think I'll wait until my insurance company has to buy me a new roof and just get the white shingles. ;)
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

It certainly isn't, but some roofs are a bit more complex with valleys, flashing, angled joints and such that can destroy the underlayment if not done right. You won't know for years in some cases.
A simple ranch roof, not so much, just a lot of hot and heavy work.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Bingo! It appears Homoguy did some grunt work, now he's an self proclaimed expert on roofing. I had to "LOL" when I read about him & his vacuum cleaner on the roof.

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Well, I guess it's true...they really will let *anybody* access the internet.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
assume a shingle roof is installed in october, and fails to get hot enough to seal till spring. say june......
in the meantime dust gets into the sealing sufaces and they never adhere properly.
a few short years later and your getting another new roof........
This happened to a couple friends...... really inconvenient:(
Let the roofer suffer in the heat, have the roof installed in mid summer.
here crews start work early like daybreak and quit early to avoid the worst part of the heat.......
might as well do a roof right in your lifetime how many will you pay for?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Fri, 20 Apr 2012 11:53:27 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

Right now, a lot of contractors have no business, not because they do bad work, they don't have customers with jobs and money. If he has a good reputation, I'd go with him.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

It all about scheduling, he could have an opening because a new house was maybe delayed, special order shinges didn't come in, his next job can only start on day X because thats what the owner wants, he needs both his crews for a really big job and one is tied up until they finish somewhere else, the planets just didn't algin that day.
I signed a contract and they stated before the ink dried . It also helped it was Feb we had a mid winter and I was basiclly first in line for the season.
As long as all the normal stuff checks out I think you are over thinking this. I would only be worried if you think he would start and leave and not come back.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Cliff H wrote:

Hmmm, Maybe his roof is BIG and needs special extra special job, LOL! Word of mouth referal, checking with BBB, fair quote, what else is needed?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
DerbyDad03 wrote:

Hi, How busy? It depends on season, Spring time before rainy summer/fall before winter sets in is busy time roofing. Worst time to have a good deal. Roofing can be done in the winter too. Depends on the time of the year. When I had my roof done with ceramic coated metal tile the crew was from Ukraine where they used this type of material long time They worked like busy ants, I did not see them taking breaks other than brief lunch time. They were very hard working knowing what to do. I took them out for a fancy dinner to thank them after job is completed in about 10 days.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Friday, April 20, 2012 11:53:27 AM UTC-7, DerbyDad03 wrote:

It may be that he doesnt like to take on too many or too big jobs because he cant find workers that he trusts. Thats what I have had to do.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Fri, 20 Apr 2012 11:53:27 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

In my opinion based on what you told us, there are multiple reasons why this could be so I wouldn't draw conclusions yet. I'm not saying you are wrong for thinking this way just that I think its too early so my advice is to wait till you two talk again and then see if you still feel the same way. I guess if you do feel this way after the next talk, you better find another roofer.... in other words follow your gut feeling.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

"to draw a conclusion ... ", I should have inserted here before.

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

I got a quote from him today. Reasonable...as my neighbor said, not the cheapest but not the most expensive.
Nice guy, had all the right answers to my questions, even mentioned that I was asking all the right questions. He said most people just nod at what he says. He'd rather they ask questions so that everyone is on the same page about what is needed and what will be done. He even noticed something that my last roofer had done that I knew was wrong but wasn't a big issue. Nobody else had even brought it up.
I didn't mention that I knew he was going to do my neighbor's roof, but he brought up the address, saying he was doing it in 2 weeks. That's when I told him that I knew "Susie". He said she certainly did her homework, called his references, drove by other jobs he had done, etc.
So, he got the job. As it turns out, he may not be able to do it next week...he gave somebody else an estimate yesterday and if they call by the end of the weekend, they get first choice. If not, and weather permitting, he's good to go late next week.
Now, the next question is what kind of soffit vents do I want...pucks or rectangles. Just a bit more research to do.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Sat, 21 Apr 2012 16:41:06 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

Good Luck, hope it all goes well. Just curious, how many squares do you need and what is the pitch on the majority of the roof? And is this a complete tearoff vs. just an overlay? If you don't know or don't want to give out, I understand.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

It's not whether I want to give out the information or not, it's more about why are you curious about it? What will that information do for you?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Sun, 22 Apr 2012 06:44:20 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

Do I have to have a reason to be curious? Just forget I asked.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Doug used improper usenet message composition style by unnecessarily full-quoting:

No, but you should have a reason for being a bone-head full-quoter and fully quoting over 100 lines of the message you're replying to - only to add a single line of new content to the thread.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

I guess you don't make mistakes ever????
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Doug wrote:

If by that comment you mean to say that you normally make an effort to trim the quoted material in your replies - then you can disregard my criticism.
Although I must say that after a quick review of your previous couple-dozen posts to this newsgroup, I don't see much evidence that you make a serious effort to do so.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Related Threads

    HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.