How Big is a Baby's Head

We are having our old deck replaced. What should I expect as a "normal" spacing for the balusters on the railing?
____________________ Bill Waller New Eagle, PA
snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net

A test used by local inspectors on pool fence is a 5" diameter ball. Might be a little bigger on stairs, as 5" seems like it might be a little crowded.
Check codes in your area. What they do here don't mean nothing where you live.
Steve
4" clear is International Residential Code. I'd consider vinyl clad wire fabric as a temporary fix for very young folks. TB
4" clear is International Residential Code. I'd consider vinyl clad wire fabric as a temporary fix for very young folks. TB
On 13 Jul 2005 17:01:19 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@bellsouth.net wrote:

It's 3" in my community. It varies. None can be larger than 4".

Standard for cribs is a 2 3/8 inch space between rails.
<http://www.coscojuvenile.com/safety_notices-1.asp?recallidD
djb

spacing
In the middle of this myself. National Building Code requires that a 4" sphere cannot pass between any point of the railings (including underneath any shoe rail), and that a 6" sphere cannot pass through the triangles caused by a shoe rail on the angled stairs.
Local codes may vary, but most follow the NBC. This should be covered in your plan review when you pull the permit as well...
-Tim

Gack, I shouldn't do this from memory. I meant the International Residential Code (IRC)
-Tim

IYRC the irc? ;)
--
be safe.
flip

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Ask Monica Lewinsky about Baby's Head?
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

A quick call to the building inspector will tell you. Worth doing right because it can be an issue if you sell the house ten years from now.

Darn good question. If a person, babies included, can put the skull through between the railings it is not too difficult to squeeze the rest of a normal sized body through. Done it lots of times as a school kid.
PaPaPeng, 7/13/2005, 10:59:57 PM, wrote:

I built my deck with the railing slats at 4.5 inches.
--
No matter what happens someone will find a way to take it too seriously.

I've heard you don't want more than a 4 inch gap between spindles. The deck I added on a previous house passed inspection OK with that.
I dunno, but did you know that most people don't realize that large pieces of coral, attached to the skull by common wood screws, can make a child look like a deer.

Thanks for the input. I have given the carpenter the 4" spacing. The balusters (350 of them) have been ordered and better arrive tomorrow.
____________________ Bill Waller New Eagle, PA
snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net

I just measured some babies for you.
A baby kittens head is about 7/8 of an inch at birth A 2 week old baby cow calf is about a little over 7 inches wide A 6 month old baby horse's head is almost 9 inches wide. A one month baby German Shepard dog has a head about 3 1/4 inches wide. A newborn baby flea's head is too damn small to measure without a micrometer.
Always happy to serve.... I hope this helps !!!!
Mark
I just built a rail with Dekorators balusters. The township wanted no more that 4" opening. I installed them 4" on center. This made the spacing 3 1/4" .. It looked very nice. See http://www.deckorators.com /