A painting question....

Why are you masking either surface? They have invented a tool called the "brush', which will easily coat the wall next to the ceiling. I guess you didn't pass the "color within the lines" part of first grade, or else your misinformed. The ceiling is painted first, followed by the wood trim, then the walls. Of course, you and every other hobby homeowner knows better, so go ahead and do it like you're going to anyway. If you would like some real advice that would help instead of my semi-sarcastic remarks. I would be happy to oblige, as long as you really plan on using my advice, otherwise I have better things to do with my fingers,(sarcastic remarks welcome and appreciated) than type advice you won't heed.

Reply to
The hooligan

When painting a room, which surface is done first...ceiling or the walls.???

I can see that it would be easier to do the walls first as they are easier to mask so that you can get a straight line between wall and ceiling.

But some people swear that the ceiling should be done first. Isn't it more difficult to mask the ceiling for a straight paint line ???

When painting a wallI is a edge trimmer the best way to get a straight line, (just the wall needs to be painted....the ceiling is fine)......

Thanks in advance for your help !!!

Peter

Reply to
Peter

Looks like you don't know the answer either !!!

I'm sure the experienced professional painters on this newsgroup will be able to provide answers and share their expertise.

Reply to
Peter

Thanks for telling me the proper way to do it. I've always done the ceiling first, just wasn't quite sure why and was watching another painter do the walls first, then mask the walls, and put in the ceiling. The wall paint line was pretty near perfect but the he finished product looked like the celing was coming a little down the wall, It was noticeable.

I never learned the proper way to cut the brush close in to the ceiling.

I've used the two wheel paint pad before.... it has some shortcoming...

Doesn't hold a lot of paint... Follows every variation in the ceiling The pad is about 3/16" away from the edge of the roller...so there is always a gap. As you mentioned....kinda messy.....and the wheels will track paint on the ceiling.

Thanks again for the information !!!

Peter

Reply to
Peter

Mask? No reason to mask. Do the ceiling first. Don't worry about the edge just yet.. Just do the edge with a brush and some will get on the wall.

Now you cut in the walls. Use a good brush, not the $1.29 three pack of crap. Buy a $10 brush that will allow you to hold a good line and the brush will hold a good supply of paint. Touch the brush to the wall about a half inch below the ceiling. Draw it up to the ceiling and pull it straight across. A properly loaded brush will give you a nice line of paint for about two feet. Will it be perfect? Damned neat it and the eye will not see a slight variation from a few feet away. If you go the other way first, any variation of the ceiling paint on the wall is going to be very visible.

I've seen some that are a pad with two guide wheels. Yes, they can work, but if you get paint on the wheels, it is going to be on the ceiling.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Edwin,

Very well said.

Peter,

Look for a Purdy or Wooster paint brush and use Edwins advice.

cm

Reply to
cm

I do ceiling first. Then mask with 3M tape. Note there are various grades, use the second to easiest to remove. If you are good then maybe you can carefully brush. For me using tape is faster.

Reply to
Jeff

You wouldn't do that because no self respecting painter uses masking tape. Too much time, and it doesn't work right anyway (paint seeps under the edge.) Learn to use the correct brush with the correct technique and you'll never go back.

Reply to
jeffc

Do not buy a small "trim" brush. Get the full size brush. Then turn it so that you're brushing lengthwise - or horizontally when painting the wall near the ceiling.

Reply to
jeffc

What he said...And paint the ceiling first to prevent spatter on the walls. Also you only need a 4' runner (drop cloth) vs. covering the whole floor while running walls.

Oh...And purchase a 3" angle brush.

Reply to
TimL

One good reason for not using tape is that you'd have to wait a few days for the ceiling to dry, otherwise you'll pull the new paint off with the tape.

Don't have a hangover and coffee shakes, and practice a bit. It's not hard.

Reply to
Buck Turgidson

Most experienced professionals are going to do the ceiling first and then the walls and not use masking tape.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Reply to
andwhite1

I've always painted ceillings first as you can then paint over any gravity induced drips or runs from the ceiling down the walls. When painting the walls the paint will never drip or run up to the ceiling. Unless there is leakage from your neighbors anti-grav generator.

ml

Reply to
kzinNOSPAM99

Actually you can tape within a couple of hours if you use either 3M 1 or 2 type tape on their scale of 1 to 5. Type 1 is like Post-it adhesive. Type

1 is harder to find. Type 2 works ok for me. Type 5 by the way is for surfaces like rough bricks. Also worth buying bright work lights, the kind with the skinny cylinder type halogen bulbs.

Reply to
Jeff

Re: A painting question.... Group: alt.home.repair Date: Wed, Jul 13, 2005, 10:28pm (CDT+1) From: snipped-for-privacy@spamtrap.net (Peter) On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 20:42:42 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (The hooligan) wrote: Why are you masking either surface? They have invented a tool called the "brush', which will easily coat the wall next to the ceiling. I guess you didn't pass the "color within the lines" part of first grade, or else your misinformed. The ceiling is painted first, followed by the wood trim, then the walls. Of course, you and every other hobby homeowner knows better, so go ahead and do it like you're going to anyway. If you would like some real advice that would help instead of my semi-sarcastic remarks. I would be happy to oblige, as long as you really plan on using my advice, otherwise I have better things to do with my fingers,(sarcastic remarks welcome and appreciated) than type advice you won't heed. Looks like you don't know the answer either !!! I'm sure the experienced professional painters on this newsgroup will be able to provide answers and share their expertise. =============================== FUCK YOU, "Peter the Dick"(tm). I've been in the painting business for

35 years. If you could f****ng read you would see I offered the guy advice, you did not. I'd be your daddy if the dog did'nt beat me over the fence, you cum guzzling gutter slut. The next time you want to spar lets have it person you short dick m*********er. I'll cut your dick off, and shove it up your ass. The guy wants advice, well let him f****ng google the hundreds of painting tips given on this forum. The bottom line is he will get great advice from previous post or he'll be a dumbass know-it-all hobby homeowner like you. The bad thing is that someday someone will have to buy the houses you and and others like you f*ck up. Do us all a big favor and stick to taking it the ass, or sucking dicks, at least you know how to swallow. Respectfully Al (your Daddy)
Reply to
The hooligan

Better see a shrink...you obviously have a serious mental problem.. You might consider checking yourself into a mental hospital or a rehab clinic on an emergency basis as it's hard to determine whether you are truly psychotic or your drug problem is creating performance issues for you. Do it NOW because you might flip out any day now and brutally murder one of your clients.

Good luck.... mental illness CAN be cured !!!

Reply to
Peter