How are we supposed to read 5GHz WiFi signal strength bands?

Page 1 of 2
I ran a WiFi survey using "Wifi Analyzer" freeware on my Android phone in a college-dorm atmosphere earlier today (after installing Windows 10), and I think I completely understand the 2.4GHz wifi signal-strength chart; but I totally fail to gather any useful information out of the 5GHz signal-strength chart (specifically what band to set the 5GHz wifi adapter to).
http://i.imgur.com/JS4BDiy.jpg
The 2.4GHz chart is at the left; while the 5GHz chart is to the right. Can you help me interpret what I'm seeing in the 5GHz chart?
I can't make any sense of the 5GHz chart (for example, what band to use?). Can you?
In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 23 Aug 2015 05:45:56 +0000 (UTC), ceg

It's awfully pretty.

I think it means "LIfe is empty and the only true solace is in technology."

No. But it's awfully purty. Maybe a museum would want to display it
In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 23 Aug 2015 05:45:56 +0000 (UTC), ceg

A strange thing. The image above displayed just fine at first and for at least a couple minutes, and I went and did something else, but later when I looked at the tab, it was all black. When I reloaded, I got the message. "The image
http://i.imgur.com/JS4BDiy.jpg cannot be dsplayed because it contains errors". I checked the spelling.
You didn't change the image in the 15 minutes preceding the current time, did you?
When I clicked on the link above just now, got the same black screen with one line error message at the top, as above.
In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 23 Aug 2015 06:33:36 -0400, micky

Tried again just now, 14 minutes later, and it worked just fine. Maybe because I had closed the two tabs with error messages?
On Sun, 23 Aug 2015 06:48:42 -0400, micky wrote:

Works for me.
http://i.imgur.com/JS4BDiy.jpg
Anyway, I can't make any sense out of the 5GHz graph, so, I was hoping someone who knew what it means would chime in.
On Sunday, August 23, 2015 at 1:45:59 AM UTC-4, ceg wrote:

I would assume that the same colors were used on the 5 ghz chart. In that case, the few plots you can clearly see and identify at the top are the strongest and after that, there are so many bunched together that it's no longer clear. Does the app have a setting where you can limit the ones plotted to ones that are above some cutoff level? No need to see them all. Or alternatively, maybe they have a ranked list view of the signal strengths, which would be easier to find what you're looking for, which I presume are the stronger ones that would work.
On Sun, 23 Aug 2015 05:03:54 -0700, trader_4 wrote:

None that I know of. The app is the freeware "WiFi Analyzer".
At home, with only a handful of 5GHz WiFi signals, the chart is easy to read, and you are correct, the graphs are color coded to the access points (ESSIDs) in the boxes at the top, and the upper squiggles are of greater signal strength.
On 23/08/2015 06:45, ceg wrote:

It got misdirected from a disco gobo.
On Sun, 23 Aug 2015 13:09:55 +0100, N_Cook wrote:

BTW, why do so many people use HOME as the prefix to their SSID's?
ceg wrote:

Maybe because it is home network? Mine is homewireless and cascadehome.
On Tue, 25 Aug 2015 22:06:49 +0000 (UTC), ceg

They don't. The HOME-XXXX format, where XXXX might be the last 4 digits of the MAC address, is the default SSID for Comcast "gateway" style wireless routers. I'm not sure when this started, but my guess(tm) is about 2 years ago.
Anything is better than linksys, dlink, default, hpsetup, and default. <https://wigle.net/stats#mainstats 3.74% of about 210 million wireless networks use the default SSID. I guess this is proof that most computer users have no imagination.
On 08/26/2015 09:08 AM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
[snip]

I used to see a lot of "Linksys" SSIDs without wireless security. Once I considered connecting and changing it to something like "I'm so insecure!" or "I need my WPA!",
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/
On Wed, 26 Aug 2015 10:29:39 -0500, Mark Lloyd wrote:

Because of butterfly tables, you want your ESSID to be unique, I think.
The details are beyond me (I think Jeff Liebermann turned me on to this concept), but the net is that you don't want your ESSID to be something that is in the hash tables of 30 million other ESSIDs.
On Wed, 26 Aug 2015 10:29:39 -0500, Mark Lloyd wrote:

You have to realize what Jeff is trying to tell you, which is that any common name for the ESSID has *already* been hashed.
In that case, WPA2/PSK is worthless.
Use a common name, and you immediately have no security no matter what you set the security to.
On 09/03/2015 11:53 PM, Ewald Böhm wrote:

WPA2/PSK is one thing that is needed. Another is a better ESSID.

--
112 days until the winter celebration (Friday December 25, 2015 for 1
day).
On Fri, 04 Sep 2015 11:59:08 -0500, Mark Lloyd wrote:

You need both. One without the other is worthless.
On 09/05/2015 09:50 PM, Ewald Böhm wrote:

Yes, both are better. I was never recommending only one, even though that would be far from worthless.
--
110 days until the winter celebration (Friday December 25, 2015 for 1
day).
On Wed, 26 Aug 2015 07:08:58 -0700, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

Ah. That makes a *lot* of sense (I hate when that happens!). :)
This is a "comcast neighborhood", where all the college kids live. We can assume most of them weren't born with a router next to the silver spoon in the cradle, so, they probably got their modem/router combo's from Comcast. And Comcast probably defaulted on the naming conventions.
That makes too much sense! Thanks for 'splaining.
Jeff Liebermann wrote:

Fancy SSID has no impact on security.
On Wed, 26 Aug 2015 17:31:20 -0600, Tony Hwang wrote:

Butterfly hash tables?