House Fire

Not conventionably insurable, but if actresses can insure their legs, some insurer, somewhere will sell you a policy. You might not be able to afford the premiums, though . . . (-:

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

I've seen pictures of the "homestead", and from what I saw I would suspect it had more than one of the issues that make a building uninsurable, at least here.

Reply to
clare

Wood stoves inside a house are also insureable. I didn't even have to pay extra insurance when I installed mine.

Insurable.

True, but none of that was the proximate cause of the fire. There is also nothign to show that any of that was even present.

You seem to be making a whole bunch of unsupported assumptions. I have asked repeatedly where you got the information that the house was uninsurable.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

As long as it is UL (or equivalent) listed and installed according to code you can get insurance (sometimes paying a premium)

Some places, under some conditions

But insurance companies, contrary to common perception are NOT in the risk business. Which is why a lot of companies, in a lot of areas, either will not cover, or will heavilly surcharge, a house with wood heat as the primary source of heat. The numbers are there. The risk of something like what happened to the Spence Homestead are significantly higher when wood heat is the primary heat source for a residence. The under-writers assess the risk and attach a dollar figure to it. They then attempt to reduce their exposure to high-dollar-risk policies, and attempt to make those exposures as close to self financing as possible - which means higher premiums

Reply to
clare

In my mind, it puts a pall all over the credibility of anything on the site. YMMV.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B