Hot Water Pressure Problems - One Faucet Only

Page 2 of 2

What supply hose?
As I said earlier, it's all plumbed with 1/2 copper.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 2/23/2012 12:48 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote: ...

Did you ever do the experiment about removing flow restrictor in another faucet to see if apparent full-flow there is an aberration of the restriction in them as opposed to this one?
Add pictures here
βœ–

Yes I did. Well, I removed the aerator on a 2 handled bathroom fixture.
If that removed the flow restrictor, then yes, I did.
Full flow right from the start.
Add pictures here
βœ–
First, try with the aerator off. (OK, laundry sink not likely to have aerator).
Second, might be a faucet washer that is expanding when warm. Or loose, and blocking the water passage.
I've got a hot water pressure problem but only at one fixture: the 2 handle non-low flow fixture at my basement utility sink. It's your basic home-center utility sink fixture, the kind you can attach a garden hose to.
When I first turn on the hot water faucet I get a lot of pressure but as the water heats up, the pressure drops significantly, probably by half within 20 seconds.
I don't experience any pressure drop at any other fixture, not at the single handle sinks or showers fixtures nor at the two-handle fixture in a 2nd floor bathroom.
It's only at the utility sink where I experience this problem. BTW it's nothing new, I don't even recall when it first started...it's been years. I'm just finally getting around to asking about it.
Any ideas? Could it be that all of the other fixtures are low flow so that they never allow as much water to flow so that the drop in pressure is never noticed since they are maxed out at all times anyway?
Thanks.
Add pictures here
βœ–

The flow does not seem to decrease with the valve fully open, but that’s just as much a PITA. I rarely need the hot on full blast, so it’s either turn it on more when the flow decreases or turn it down once the hot water reaches the faucet.
Since full-on wastes water, I think I’ll opt for turning it up until I decide to investigate further.
Add pictures here
βœ–

But I think it's an important clue as to what's happening, PITA or not.

I've opted for resetting the flow rate once the valve has warmed up. Since that works, I don't really see how it could be an impediment in the line or anything but a bad valve or washer.

I would pull it and replace the washer, which is on my list of things to do. My issues started after I replaced an old washer. It's also possible that there's an impediment in the pipe that expands when warm. I once extracted an acorn(!) from behind the kitchen faucet aerator after I noticed an intermittent rise and fall of the flow rate. As it rotated around in the faucet arm, it varied the flow (it was not perfectly round). FWIW, I installed a water filter right after that incident. (-: But I don't think that's your problem.
Since the slop sink valves are usually located at one of the lowest points in the whole piping system, garbage in the lines could easily find its way down there. I'm still of the mind that it's the faucet washer. Was it flat or conical?
Since it doesn't exhibit the problem at maximum flow, it does seem to me to be the valve washer. Although the initial valve setting allows a slow flow, once the washer and seat heat up, that small gap narrows and the flow slows. On my sink, the flow will go from perhaps a half gallon per minute to a very slow trickle - just a few drops.
Good luck. I haven't fixed it because it keeps me from wasting the hot water accidentally. (-: It's like having a faucet ghost saying "you didn't mean to leave the hot water running full blast, did you?" Of course, I have managed to leave it trickling hot water when I though the valve was closed.
-- Bobby G.
Add pictures here
βœ–

As I said in an earlier post, I've replaced the entire stem, including the washer and seat. The cold side needed a new seat so I rebuilt the entire faucet.
The problem was there before I replaced the stem and it's still there now.
I guess I can try another washer anyway.
Add pictures here
βœ–