hot water heater too hot

Electric hot water heater 7 years set at 120 deg. but water is 145 deg. When I turn therm up it clicks at 140 and clicks again when I turn it down to 120. Could this be a bad element causing the overheating? Thanks

Reply to
carson

A bad element can indeed cause overheating. If the element faults to the sheath internally, current will flow to ground thru that part of the element all the time. The thermostat won't interrupt it because they only open one pole.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Perhaps it's because you're heating hot water?

-Tim

Reply to
Tim Fischer