Hot Water Heater supply disconnect help

I am planning to install a Grundfos reticulating pump and before i bust my hot water heater I am hoping to get some advice from you fine folks.

I am not sure how to disconnect the hot water pipe on the hot water heater. The hot water supply is attached to the heater with a coupling however the supply pipe is copper and soldered to a joint that screws into a coupling. I am not sure how to remove the coupling without breaking the soldered joint. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

TIA

Reply to
toto

The best bet is to cut the copper pipe in a spot where you will have room to install ( solder) in a union or whatever fitting you need to do the rest of the job, once the pipe is cut you can easily unscrew the rest from the heater.

Reply to
Mikey S.