Hot Water Heater Draw Test Results?

Have a 50 gal hot water heater that was not producing much hot water. I replaced the Dip Tube and still not much improvement. The manufacture told me to do a draw test, measure the temperature in 7 consecutive 5 gallon buckets drawn from hot water.

The results were: 105, 111, 106, 101, 99, 96, 93

What could this mean, have not called the manufacture yet but would like to get other opinions. Dip Tube installed improperly, would a hot water heater go bad like this, any information would be helpful, thanks!

Reply to
Al Franz

But would the temperature drop like that even if it was set too low, shouldn't it be more constant?

Reply to
Al Franz

Gas or Electric? If Electric, have you tested both upper and lower elements?

A build-up of sediment can also cause this, as it acts as an insulator between burner/element and the water. Have you flushed it recently?

Paul F.

Reply to
Paul Franklin

Gas

I have run water out of the drain valve and did not see much sediment. Other then that have not done anything to it. Recently moved into the house.

Reply to
Al Franz

Hi, Flush it and set the 'stat little hotter than normal setting, that's what I do. Even if you have softner, I flush the tank twice a year.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

The drop seems normal.

Reply to
Pat

Sounds like your thermostat is set too low

nick hull