Hot water doesn't work in shower/tub

Help! The hot water works in my entire house except the bathtub/shower. The sink in that bathroom works just fine - hot and cold. We've been having exceedingly cold temps for the last week or so outside - could this have anything to do with the problem? The cold water works just fine in the bathtub/shower also. I took the turn-on mechanism off and reassembled it, but to no avail. It's one of those single handle jobs that moves up and down to turn on/off, and rotates left for hot, right for cold. I'm open to suggestions - thanks in advance.

Reply to
Willabeetoo

I just had the same type problem with my Kohler shower. All of a sudden there was no hot water. When I opened the unit I discovered a small about 1/2inch by 1/2 inch wood shaving in the mixing unit. Cleaned this out and re-assembled works fine. The other possibility might be the stop to control the maximum amount of hot water has slipped but this is unlikely if no hot at all. Good luck try total clean out of the control.

An email response if not expected but if desired remove the uk at the end.

Reply to
Henry

There has been a big discussion here all week about frozen pipes. I'm betting that is what happened here.

If so, the big danger is that the lump of ice inside the pipe may have burst the pipe (common). All is calm until the weather warms enough to thaw the pipe. Then.........flood big time.

If there is absolutely no way to gain access to where it may have frozen, at the very least I would shut off the water (hot only?) to the bath when it isn't needed.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

I have/had a similiar problem and it was due to a clog. I was only able to get it partially cleaned out. I have no ideas as to how to clean it out good.

Reply to
Childfree Scott