No tub hot water, shower is fine?

We had a home inspection done yesterday and the inspector said that we needed a new coil in our tank-less system. He based this on the fact he could not draw a full tub of hot water. The problem with this is we can take hot shower after hot shower. I mean I can stay in there for 15 min and then my wife can take a shower right afterwards and be fine. In fact we have taken as many as 4 showers in a row, 2 with teenagers, no problem. But the water coming out of the tub faucet is barely lukewarm. It is a Thermatrol valve, could that be the problem. The water tested hot at the kitchen faucet.

Thanks, Jim

Reply to
jtpr

I would guess your current heater was properly sized for the shower but not for the volume used for the tub. You could also run into a problem if one of you was using the shower and someone wanted to wash dishes.

My personal suggestion is don't worry about it unless you find you have a problem. If it is providing the hot water that you desire, it does not need to be corrected.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Showers do use less gallons per minute than filling a tub so it is possible that the heater is not keeping up. What about other faucets such as the kitchen or bathroom sink? Check them out first.

Yes, it is possible the Thermotrol valve is not working properly also.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski