Hot water circulator pump repair

My BIL has a circulator pump leaking around the shaft into the motor. Is replacing the seal on a B&G LR20 as straightforward as it seems?
Disconnect wires, remove pump, remove impeller, pry off ceramic seal, replace shaft seal
Can I trust the flo-control valves to keep the system from draining?
The furnace is in the basement and all of the pumps and valves are mounted high near the ceiling. There are shutoff valves for each zone on the return side and flo-control vavles after each pump on the supply side. No shutoff valves for the pumps and I would like to avoid draining the whole system of a split level house with three zones.

Check the manufacturer's web site: www.bellgossett.com -- they have service manuals on-line.
--
Regards,
also see www.circulatorpumps.com to order youe pump.
m Ransley wrote:

The supply house guy convinced me that worn bearings caused the seal to leak, he sold me a replacement Taco pump for $75.
Four bolts and a wire, much better than trying to rebuild the pump.