Hot tub wiring 4 wires to 3

I have a older spa which is wired outsdie from a 50 amp gfci box with 4 wire, black, red,white and green, The new Jucuzzi spa which i have not gotten yet takes on 3 wires to operate. I down loaded the manuel but unfortunately it dose not show what me what color they are. I spoke with one of the service people at the spa place and he said i would just have to not use the white wire, Just wondered it this sounded correst here, I assumed that you only need one hot lead off the breaker but it sounds like it uses both and just the ground instead of the netual? Any ideas?
snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.net wrote:

If everything is using 240V and not 120V you don't need the neutral. You only need the neutral if something is using 120V. Assuming my guess is correct you should be fine. On the other hand if I am guessing wrong it could kill you. Make sure what you are doing after reading the installation manual that should come with it. If you are not 100% sure, don't do it and have someone who is do it.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
I found the wiring diagram for jacuzzi today and it is a 240 vac (60) dedicated with only the black red and ground use, so I do bleive that the netual is not used or needed, but leadsme to the second question does the netual wire from the breker need to be tied into the ground bar in the box or is ok just being pigtailed to the netual wire comming in the box from the maine service panel? And Thanks you guys are great for the advice here
Neutral is only tied to ground within the service panel, anywhere else and it is a fault.
snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.net wrote:

The neutral should not be connected to anything in this case. Do not tie it to the ground. bad bad. :-) I wire nut on it should be fine.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
Joseph hope not mind the question again but are you saying the neutel comming from the service panel and the one on the GFCI breaker should not be tied or connected to anything?
snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.net wrote:

What do the instructions for the GFCI say? I have never worked with a 240V GFCI.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
The "load" neutral off the gfci breaker which went to your old tub. Insulate it, you don't have a neutral on the new tub

On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 16:35:40 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.net wrote:

Neutral and ground should *never* be tied together except in the entrance panel (where they must be). GFCIs have two neutrals, neither of which should be connected to ground (except that ground and neutral are tied together in the entrance panel). The output side neutral is never tied to ground. The common neutrals in a panel should be connected to the neutral bus and that bonded to ground (in the entrance panel only).
--
Keith

One final note: if you were to tie the neutral coming out of the GFCI to ground, the GFCI will trip and won't stay untripped.
So, cap off the neutral and don't connect it to anything.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
You are correct in your assumption and like Joseph said, it either doesn't have any 120 volt circuits or it has an internal transformer to create them. In either case you'll be fine just connect it to your GFCI without the neutral

snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.net wrote:

With the old tub, it had some items that ran on 120V and some on 240V. But the newer tubs are being changed to 240V only. The simplest way to resolve the issue is to tape off (with certified electrical tape) or with a wirenut for the size of wire you are working with. NOTE: this is at the hot tub.
Don't change any of the connections for the GFCI in the panel!! The white pigtail from the breaker to the neutral bar is required for the breaker to work properly. The white or neutral wire from the breaker to the hot tub doesn't actually do anything. But there is no harm in leaving it there.
Sorry,
That was tape off the white or cap white with a wirenut at the hot tub.