Hose Across driveway

Hi,
I want to water a patch of grass the other side of my driverway. Is there a good way to get a hose across there?
I am concerned about hose damage due to rolling over it with a car. I looked at Linebacker rubber hose protectors, but at $US 119 per 3 feet, that is a $US 350 to a 9 foot wide driver way. Is there a cheaper way? Is there a hose that will take being run over repeatedly by cars?
Someone mentioned Flexogen hose pipes, will these do the trick?
Best, Mike.

Lay the hose between two 1 x 2's and just drive over it. The little pressure you do put on it will not harm it.
hobbes wrote:

how about 2ea 2x4 and some spacers on each end to keep them in place.

As mentioned a couple of boards for about $ 5 each would do. Maybe 2 2x4s and bevle one edge of each.
Can you support the hose with some ladders you have or other things to get your hose up high enough to drive under ?
hobbes wrote:

Two lengths of pvc pipe the diameter of the hose or a little larger, two bungee cords.
Or a larger section of pvc that you can insert the hose through.
Now, if you are for technically advanced methods, get a chunk of pvc pipe, put a hose fitting on each end and hook it up to hoses. For added glamour, you can put a fitting at the center of the pipe to attach a rotating sprinkler so the kids can play in the water and the dog can get a drink.
hobbes wrote:

If the hose is on, the pressure in the hose will be somewhere around 50 psi. The pressure in your tires is around 30 psi. I suspect that you will not completely flatten the hose. Just don't drive over the fittings.
Of course, laying 2x4's next to the hose sounds like a good idea.

1 x 3's would be simpler, cheaper, and easier to drive over and would still prevent the pinching of the hose, which is what ruins them.
Or put a 10' piece of galvanized pipe across it with hose fittings on each end, and drive over that. Stake it at each end so it won't spin into the next county if someone steps on the gas.
Or route it inside the garage & lock the doors.
Or route it inside the garage, above car level.
Or get the hose out, water, and pick the hose up!
Sheesh!

Don't drive over the hose. That's easy. Or, buy more hose so you can route it in a way that it doesn't block traffic.
Just drive on it. Hell, we drive on them all the time in a gravel lot, and they last all summer that way. I doubt you'd drive over your hose enough in a lifetime to damage it.

A neighbor has had a hose for watering cattle across the county road all summer (drought) and it survived all the traffic including heavy gravel trucks ;)
replying to S. Barker, FrankinVA wrote:

I have had a heavy duty garden hose across and asphalt driveway for less that a month and it is starting to leak where it gets pinched against the tiny pieces of rock. what are you using fire hoses???? :)
FrankinVA wrote:

Commercial grade rubber hose is real heavy duty.

I would suggest adding a hydrant on the other side of the garage.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit

Tape it to the side of a 2x4 laid flat on the driveway.
On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 11:36:16 -0800 (PST), hobbes

They all will. Even the cheapest will let you drive over it 30 to 600 times before it starts to leak. So use the least valuable hose you have, and report back to us how many times you drove over it before your grass was established and you stopped, or before it leaks, whichever comes first. I'll bet it doesn't leak at all.
The 1 x 2's, or 2 x 4's, depending on the diameter of the hose, do sound like a good idea.
But this is a lot like putting an electric cord under a carpet. Or driving over one. The cord under the carpet will last probably for years, but the problem, when it does fail, you won't know it in advance and it can start a fire. When your hose starts to fail, it will spray water out the little hole, or the big hole, which will run down the driveway into the gutter and into the drain, until you get home and stop it. Or maybe you'll be home, or be arriving home, and stop it right away.

Thanks to all for your kind help.
Much obliged. Warmest regards, Mike.
replying to hobbes, SeanE wrote:
I am in a similar situation like you. I need to put a hose across my driveway. I am curious what approach you took? Can you please share what you ended up doing?

The simple ways of shielding a hose are to run it through a pipe strong enough to resist vehicles' weight, or else between a pair of 2x4 timbers.
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

I have high water pressure here, and don't have to drive over the hose. That is, if it was left under pressure. I try to turn off the water when not using it.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
On Saturday, January 12, 2008 at 1:36:16 PM UTC-6, hobbes wrote:

I've driven over a hose on the driveway for years with little effect. Hoses are not that expensive; if it does get damaged consider buying fittings and either cutting out that section or, if you need the length, splicing in a new piece.