Hoods

Hello,
Would you please tell me all about stove hoods. I need a stove hood that is self-contained- is there such a thing. In other words i can have no chimney going out to the out side. the "hood" needs to be directly over the stove; hugging the ceiling. Is there such a thing? Thank you. Truly
Harry wrote:

There are non-vented hoods. However before you go buy one, why do you want a hood?
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
Joseph Meehan wrote:

Hello Joseph Meehar, The reason i think i want a "hood" is because it is to trap the nasty grease that wouldhave traveled all through my house. So is that the right thing to do? Truly
Harry wrote:

Right answer. You can use a ventless hood to do that. They are available most places where hoods are sold. I believe many hoods can be installed either way.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
On Tue, 12 Sep 2006 11:05:19 GMT, "Joseph Meehan"

I think so too.
I have a hood without a vent, but the electrician who wired these town houses and also lived in one for many years put a vent in his house. One could see the exit above his front sliding glass door.
The seller told me how expensive the replaceable charcoal filters are, and they are, so I don't buy a replacement. The "spun" metal grill can easily be washed in he dishwasher though. But I don't fry and only broil, and don't use the fan much anyhow. So it doesn't get dirty. I don't like the noise (either high or low speed), but maybe newer ones are quieter.
mm wrote: <snip>

The recirculating hoods that I have run into have all been pretty noisy and don't strike me as particularly effective. I don't do a lot of greasy frying but when I boil a pot of water and observe the "steam" there does not seem to be sufficient air flow to have much effect more than a few inches from the metal grill.
Of course these have all been cheap apartment or non-upgraded builder units, so I am sure better performance can be had. I would think though that if the OP is looking to ceiling mount a hood it would have to have a LOT of suction to have any effect at cooktop level.
Brian Attwood wrote:

While they can help reduce the grease, they will not remove any of the steam. Only exhausting outside will do that.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
Joseph Meehan wrote:

cannot remove the steam. The steam does however indicate that the hoods that I have observed create negligible draft more than a few inches below the hood and that most of the grease, like the steam, probably never enters the zone of influence of the hood.
Brian Attwood wrote:

I see. However my experience is that the steam, as well as the grease laden hot air tends to rise and most will go through the hood.
Note different hoods have different designs and those designs can effect the air flow patterns.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
Exterior vented solves TWO problems.
1. In many cases, the motor is OUTSIDE <---low noise 2. Air flow ratings are usually at least double for the outside powered units.
Exterior vent gets the steam out.
All range hoods that run when frying, braising, or grilling will trap grease particles that would otherwise settle on walls, ceiling, and cabinet surfaces over time. Everything gets STICKY without one of these.
mm wrote:

No.
Don't be so lazy...
www.google.com
www.ask.com
-zero
Harry wrote:

There are, asMr. Meehan says, recirculating hoods. They are better than nothing, and much less useful than vented hoods. There are updraft and downdraft arrangements, if you need a path to the outside. TB