Honda EB 5000x generator

I am new to google and generators so please bear with me.
I borrowed a 20+ year old Honda generator and successfully used it at a remote camp when all of a sudden the motor continued to run but power to the shop vac stopped. I let it sit for awhile and while the engine workled fine no power was available for the shop vac or any other small electrical appliance.
I found the owners manual for the unit online and looked for trouble shooting tips but nothing jumps out at me. I am not a mechanical person and tried to bring it to a few local small engine repair shops and while only 1 would look at it, they won't have time for 3-4 weeks and am wondering if there are some simple tests I can do to in the meantime. any help is appreciated.
In article

The output section may be disconnected from the engine. You should look for an open circuit breaker. Good luck.
--
:)
JR

Is there a circuit breaker that might have popped, maybe a stuck brush on the gen armature, if you can see the brushes see if you can push them in. A volt meter at the head output will tell you if its the head or downline which you can trace, its 240v + so be carefull, ground the chassis before having a shock, often a bolt is on the chassis to attach a wire then wrap wire around a nail and put it in the dirt. At 20 yrs anything can go bad.