Homemade peanut butter

Page 2 of 3
On Fri, 26 Jun 2009 08:37:29 -0700, Dan Musicant ( snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net) wrote:

I'd buy an Osterizer without hesitation if it were not made in China nor Taiwan. Also, you will pay more for a metal version than a plastic one.
BTW, there is a HUGE difference between peanut butter made just from peanuts and a jar of Jiff. Processed peanut butter typically has hydrogenated oils, not good.
On Fri, 26 Jun 2009 19:11:05 -0400, in alt.home.repair, Phisherman

Some markets sport all-natural peanut butters. They usually separate in the jar; you'll see a thick layer of clear peanut oil on top of the butter, and it must be stirred back together before use. Once reunited and refrigerated it won't separate again, at least not for several years. (Or, I suppose, you could pour off the oil and just use the peanut sludge. I've never tried that.)
Here is an excerpt from the label on my favorite brand:
Ingredients: Peanuts, Salt
--
Due to Usenet spam, emailed replies must pass an intelligence test: if
you want me to read your reply, be sure to include this line of text in
On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 05:56:22 -0700, Dan Musicant ( snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net) wrote:
-snip-

I've done without a bread machine- using the dough-hooks on my Kitchenaid. But the processor- a 25yr old LaMachine II- gets a workout a couple times a week for pesto, chopping veggies for soup, grating cheese, or slicing veggies for salads.
Different strokes-
Jim
:On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 05:56:22 -0700, Dan Musicant ( snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net) :wrote: : :-snip- :>I hate to buy a food processor. My reasons are::> :>1. Expense :>2. I can envision no use for it currently other than making peanut:>butter. :>3. It's another device I have to find room for. I use a blender for :>smoothies, certain other tasks. I already have a bread machine, so that :>aspect of a food processor isn't needed.: :I've done without a bread machine- using the dough-hooks on my :Kitchenaid. But the processor- a 25yr old LaMachine II- gets a :workout a couple times a week for pesto, chopping veggies for soup, :grating cheese, or slicing veggies for salads. : :Different strokes- : :Jim
I cook for one, have couple of good cutting boards, a favorite cleaver. Never make pesto, occasional soup doesn't justify a processor, am eating almost NO cheese, salads, well, again can't justify a processor for that. My bread machine doesn't just mix dough, it bakes bread. When it dies, I'll get another.
Dan
Dan Musicant wrote:

I have a breadmaker which has only one purpose. It makes dough for homemade pizza.
I don't think it could be any easier; throw the stuff in, push a button, and 90 minutes later it's done.
Jon

Peanut and other nut butters were around long before food processors or blenders, or for that matter electricity, were available. I don't know how much peanut butter you make, but an old fashioned hand mill ought to do the job.
:
: :> I've made nut butters in the kitchen for many years, usually peanut :> butter. It's a money saver and you can see with your own eyes exactly :> what the ingredients are.:> :> I roast the nuts in the oven, although I have made raw cashew butter a :> time or two. My sometime problem is getting a machine that's up to the :> task. I used to work with a Waring blender, and after burning out a few :> motors (they were available for user replacement), I bought an Osterizer :> 10 speed and it lasted for over 20 years on the original motor. It :> finally burned out about two months ago. This old Osterizer was 125 :> watts only. Besides the glass blender jar I had a $10 plastic accessory :> that they called a food processor attachment, which I have only used for :> grinding meat on occasion. It's designed very well and does a very nice :> job of meat grinding.:> :> So, in looking for a replacement for my old Osterizer I figured I'd get :> another Osterizer, naturally, inasmuch as the old one lasted 20+ years :> and I still wanted to be able to use the meat-grinding food processor :> attachment. I did some homework and found that the current Osterizer :> blenders are rated at much higher power -- from 450 watts up to 600 :> watts or so. About two months ago I picked up a #6694 450 watt 12 speed :> Osterizer Blender at Walmart for around $25. However, it burned out this :> morning making a new batch of peanut butter. I suppose I can get a :> warranty replacement which will work fine for smoothies and such and :> grinding meat, but evidently I need something more robust for nut :> butters. I had been eyeing the "Beehive" Osterizer, which I can get for :> around $55 at Walmart. It's supposed to be 600 watts, supports 2 speeds :> and a flash button (the food processor attachment requires flash). I :> thought I'd post first to get people's opinions and experience before :> shelling out more money, perhaps vainly.:> : :Peanut and other nut butters were around long before food processors or :blenders, or for that matter electricity, were available. I don't know how :much peanut butter you make, but an old fashioned hand mill ought to do the :job. : I'm not familiar with old fashioned hand mills and have no idea concerning finding and buying one. Seems like it might be a lot of work, and it's yet another thing to store. A blender, at least, serves multiple functions as long as it doesn't burn out. I'm pissed that they don't make better motors. I think they're fully aware of the problem and just choose to keep making machines that burn out because their net profit is better served with that m.o. I will not hesitate to take advantage of their warranty when possible.
Dan
snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote:

they possibly can to meet the big box price point.
There are certainly quality devices made but they aren't going to be on the shelf at wally for $25.
Dan Musicant ( snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net) wrote in

I wonder if a BLENDER is an appropriate tool for this task. Particularly a consumer product;generally light duty items.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
:I wonder if a BLENDER is an appropriate tool for this task. :Particularly a consumer product;generally light duty items. :-- :Jim Yanik
I know, it's pushing the limits of these machines. My last one lasted 20+ years, and it was only 125 watts, so I figure a 450 w or 600 w machine SHOULD stand up to the task. I think they don't care if they burn out because they make more money by selling machines that aren't particularly robust. They lose on warranty replacements, but make more from selling replacement machines than those losses, so they continue to follow a policy of planned obsolescence.
Dan
snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote:

Eating too much peanut butter can lower L-Lysine in your body affecting your immune strength. It can cause a cold sore break out.Cold sore is caused by virus related to Herpes.

Citations, please? Sounds a little far out, excuse me.
Also, it's my understanding that one had to have had chicken-pox at some point, in order to get repeated "cold sores" later in life. Virus remains latent in the body until break-out brought on by ??
Interested in your opinions.
Hypatia
:Hi, :Eating too much peanut butter can lower L-Lysine in your body affecting :your immune strength. It can cause a cold sore break out.Cold sore is :caused by virus related to Herpes.
Yes, interesting, thanks for posting this. I was aware that peanuts are healthful but only in moderation. What I heard was a "handful a day."
Dan
on 6/26/2009 11:50 PM (ET) Tony Hwang wrote the following:

shock and could die from nuts in any form. I eat nuts in all forms, roasted, salted, peanut butter, and nuts in any candy bar, and have for most of my life. Just for info purposes, I am 71 years old and have never had the flu, or a flu shot. I don't have herpes simplex, herpes complex, or herpes duplex. :-P You have to be an SNL fan to understand that last one.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
:on 6/26/2009 11:50 PM (ET) Tony Hwang wrote the following:
:>> I've made nut butters in the kitchen for many years, usually peanut :>> butter. It's a money saver and you can see with your own eyes exactly :>> what the ingredients are.:>> :>> I roast the nuts in the oven, although I have made raw cashew butter a :>> time or two. My sometime problem is getting a machine that's up to the :>> task. I used to work with a Waring blender, and after burning out a few :>> motors (they were available for user replacement), I bought an Osterizer :>> 10 speed and it lasted for over 20 years on the original motor. It :>> finally burned out about two months ago. This old Osterizer was 125 :>> watts only. Besides the glass blender jar I had a $10 plastic accessory :>> that they called a food processor attachment, which I have only used for :>> grinding meat on occasion. It's designed very well and does a very nice :>> job of meat grinding. :>> So, in looking for a replacement for my old Osterizer I figured I'd get :>> another Osterizer, naturally, inasmuch as the old one lasted 20+ years :>> and I still wanted to be able to use the meat-grinding food processor :>> attachment. I did some homework and found that the current Osterizer :>> blenders are rated at much higher power -- from 450 watts up to 600 :>> watts or so. About two months ago I picked up a #6694 450 watt 12 speed :>> Osterizer Blender at Walmart for around $25. However, it burned out this :>> morning making a new batch of peanut butter. I suppose I can get a :>> warranty replacement which will work fine for smoothies and such and :>> grinding meat, but evidently I need something more robust for nut :>> butters. I had been eyeing the "Beehive" Osterizer, which I can get for :>> around $55 at Walmart. It's supposed to be 600 watts, supports 2 speeds :>> and a flash button (the food processor attachment requires flash). I :>> thought I'd post first to get people's opinions and experience before :>> shelling out more money, perhaps vainly.:>> :>> Dan:>> :>> Email: dmusicant at pacbell dot net :> Hi, :> Eating too much peanut butter can lower L-Lysine in your body :> affecting your immune strength. It can cause a cold sore break :> out.Cold sore is caused by virus related to Herpes.:Perhaps for some people. Some other people will go into anaphylactic :shock and could die from nuts in any form. :I eat nuts in all forms, roasted, salted, peanut butter, and nuts in any :candy bar, and have for most of my life. :Just for info purposes, I am 71 years old and have never had the flu, or :a flu shot. :I don't have herpes simplex, herpes complex, or herpes duplex. :-P :You have to be an SNL fan to understand that last one.
I wouldn't be too sure that you don't have herpes. It's said to be almost ubiquitous. Have you been tested? You probably have it, you just don't know it. BTW, there's several types of herpes viruses.
Dan
willshak wrote:

simply a roll of the dice if it will ever "kick in".

I've learned over years of painful experience that a cold sore is my body's way of warning me that if I don't get more rest, I'll get sick.
--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
On Jun 26, 10:37am, Dan Musicant ( snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net) wrote:

I bought an old Salton (George Foreman spokesperson) peanut butter maker at a thrift store that has worked well. It makes a small amount at a time though.
"Bob Villa" says:

maker at a thrift store that has worked well. It makes a small amount at a time though.
You ain't Bob Villa.
Bob Villa would put his nuts into something like this: http://tinyurl.com/oxosfr