Homelite Blower

Yesterday I went to start my Homelite Blower (UT08934) and the cord broke about 5 inches from the handle. I tried opening it up but found that the case was not easy to open, probably to keep dummies like myself from doing damage! (grin)
Is it cheaper to buy a new one or have it repaired and if repaired what would be the possible charge, I assume the labor would be the most expensive? Florida is the state.

Had an old Homelite Blower/Vac. Don't remember the UT number. Once I took the base bar off that it stands on, there was a screw behind each side of the handle where it went into the unit. That says they do "hide" them. I had to take practically the whole damn thing apart to finally get at the clutch.
Got it fixed. Month later something else went. I got the message. Threw it out.

I bet $50-75 - mostly labor. Just a guess. Call a shop. They can probably tell you "no less than $xx". Figure for 2x the repair cost you get all new...under warranty.
Al Bundy wrote:

> I bet $50-75 - mostly labor. Just a guess. Call a shop. They can

Thanks Al
Since it is not that old it was not an immediate response jusst to buy a new one but if it is that difficult then it might just be better to replace the whole damn thing.
Lee
Lee wrote:

Justs went through a similar problem. Blowing leaves off the patio, slowed down and ran rough, smoothed out when I brought it vertical, pointed down did the smae then heard a 'clunk' as if something came adrift in the crankcase. No odd noises and compression seemed normal when cranking it again but absolutely no fire. I bourght a new one even tho the old one was still under warranty. This was as Weed Eater Feather Light that only cosst $69 at Wally World. Didn't figure it was worth the hassle to send it in for re-work plus I needed one 'today, not 2 weeks from now'.
I will tear it down sometime this winter just out of curiosity to see what happened.
Harry K
Usually a local shop handles the repairs. Also I think Walmart will mail in warranty work for free if that is where you bought it.

Every model can be different - one a piece of cake and the other a piece of shit.
Long ago I had a VW Beetle (the ones with the round bar at the top of the bumper). Or maybe it was the Karman Gia. Can't remember. Could not change one plug without, I think it was, removing motor mount or something.
Back 3 plugs on my Mitsu 3000GT. Pray they stay good and change when timing belt AND water pump is changed. Hours & hours of labor to get at water pump.
Old GMC 6cyl pickup. Water pump right in front with a few bolts. $15 part and 30 min to swap.
In summary, shit happens.
If it is a cheap $99 blower, scrap it and buy a new one. I took apart a Craftsman once to fix the spring. Successful but it was never quite right. They are pretty much disposable.