Homelite Blower

Yesterday I went to start my Homelite Blower (UT08934) and the cord broke about 5 inches from the handle. I tried opening it up but found that the case was not easy to open, probably to keep dummies like myself from doing damage! (grin)

Is it cheaper to buy a new one or have it repaired and if repaired what would be the possible charge, I assume the labor would be the most expensive? Florida is the state.

Reply to
Lee

Lee wrote in news:vJgch.21653$ snipped-for-privacy@bignews8.bellsouth.net:

Had an old Homelite Blower/Vac. Don't remember the UT number. Once I took the base bar off that it stands on, there was a screw behind each side of the handle where it went into the unit. That says they do "hide" them. I had to take practically the whole damn thing apart to finally get at the clutch.

Got it fixed. Month later something else went. I got the message. Threw it out.

I bet $50-75 - mostly labor. Just a guess. Call a shop. They can probably tell you "no less than $xx". Figure for 2x the repair cost you get all new...under warranty.

Reply to
Al Bundy

Thanks Al

Since it is not that old it was not an immediate response jusst to buy a new one but if it is that difficult then it might just be better to replace the whole damn thing.

Lee

Reply to
Lee

Justs went through a similar problem. Blowing leaves off the patio, slowed down and ran rough, smoothed out when I brought it vertical, pointed down did the smae then heard a 'clunk' as if something came adrift in the crankcase. No odd noises and compression seemed normal when cranking it again but absolutely no fire. I bourght a new one even tho the old one was still under warranty. This was as Weed Eater Feather Light that only cosst $69 at Wally World. Didn't figure it was worth the hassle to send it in for re-work plus I needed one 'today, not 2 weeks from now'.

I will tear it down sometime this winter just out of curiosity to see what happened.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Lee wrote in news:_IBch.16189$ snipped-for-privacy@bignews3.bellsouth.net:

Every model can be different - one a piece of cake and the other a piece of shit.

Long ago I had a VW Beetle (the ones with the round bar at the top of the bumper). Or maybe it was the Karman Gia. Can't remember. Could not change one plug without, I think it was, removing motor mount or something.

Back 3 plugs on my Mitsu 3000GT. Pray they stay good and change when timing belt AND water pump is changed. Hours & hours of labor to get at water pump.

Old GMC 6cyl pickup. Water pump right in front with a few bolts. $15 part and 30 min to swap.

In summary, shit happens.

Reply to
Al Bundy

If it is a cheap $99 blower, scrap it and buy a new one. I took apart a Craftsman once to fix the spring. Successful but it was never quite right. They are pretty much disposable.

Reply to
Art

Usually a local shop handles the repairs. Also I think Walmart will mail in warranty work for free if that is where you bought it.

Reply to
Art