Home shower drip repair (how do I get the Delta faucet apart)?

Can you help me get my Delta shower faucet apart so I can stop an annoying drip?

I'm stuck - I don't know how to get the shower faucet apart?

- I removed the two bolts holding the back plate on

- I removed the set screw holding the handle on

- I removed the sleeve around the brass thing that turns And ... I'm basically stuck here ... I can't see what next to remove.

I posted 15 pictures of the steps here

Can you help me with the next step to dissaembly of this Delta shower faucet?

Thank you, Donna

Reply to
Donna

It might be hard to see the key pics so to help you help me, I just made extensive annotations of the pics for you to help me.

This is basically where I started

And, this is basically where I'm stuck!
Do you know what next to remove to get this Delta shower faucet apart? Thanks, Donna

Reply to
Donna

Great picture, but I can't help. Try poking around here:

Or, the shorter version:

JoeSpareBedroom

Did you buy the repair kit? Did it not come with instructions? Note: I know the first step: Turn off both hot and cold water supply. :-)

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Donna,

Try going to Home Depot et al, and find the "kit" that repairs your faucet. Then you will be able to identify what needs to come out. Note that you will probably need to grab onto that metal post sticking out, with a pliers, and just pull it out, and whatever is attached to it (probably a valve). .Make sure you have removed whatever parts are holding the valve in before trying to pull it out. It might be hard to get out, even with all the obstructions removed. If the Delta is like other faucets, you just need to pull out the old "valve", and insert the new one. (PLus all the other parts) Around $15 to $20 at home depot probably.

Great pictures, btw.

Reply to
caloo calay

IIRC, you need to remove the escutcheon (The big silver plate that covers the hole) In behind it, you'll probably find a big U shaped brass or spring steel retainer clip that holds the plastic cartridge in place in the housing. Pull up on it to remove it. The little brass limit stop on the front of the white cartridge in you picture usually slips off, the cartridge gets set to the noon position, and with the retainer clip off, the cartridge slips right out coming forward. If you have to use any significant force you are doing something wrong. The only things keeping it in place at that point are a couple of O-rings.

Reply to
hchickpea

You need to remove the chrome escution from the wall. It should pry off easily. It may be held on by some caulk or just a gasket in back, but be gentle and pry around it so that you not deform it.

After the escution is removed you may get a better idea of how to remove the valve stem. There may be a hex fitting that you will need to put a wrench on.

Reply to
John Grabowski

started

stuck!

The big brass ring that you point to and say "This doesn't have a flat spot" needs to come off, with Channellocks or a pipe wrench (gently). It spins off counter-clockwise. It is holding the cartridge in (the main white plastic part). Typically Delta's have a couple of rubber "cups" on the back of the cartridge that can be replaced to stop a leak. If the cartridge is bad, it will be pretty expensive. The last one like yours I had to replace had frozen. :-(

JK

Reply to
Big_Jake

Actually no, you don't, and putting the screws back in is a good idea, since you won't need to take off the escutcheon. The whole thing will feel more stable as you work on it with the screws down tight. Depending on how the shower valve is anchored behind the wall, you might cause a leak by all the twisting you have to do. Having the screws down tight should make that less likely.

Look at my other post, there is nothing more you need to see behind the escutcheon.

JK

Reply to
Big_Jake

started

stuck!

Gosh I hope you turned the water off, both sides, first...

JK

Reply to
Big_Jake

Sorry for the misinfo. My stuff is all Kohler and you definitely need to remove the escutcheon to access the parts that need removal.

Reply to
John Grabowski

Hi Joe, That was a great idea to poke around the Delta site.

I found this exploded diagram:
I reproduced in the slide show on flickr at:
Specifically, it's this picture in the set:
I see some people say to remove the "escutcheon" and others say leave it be. Unfortunately, from the exploded diagram above, I can't tell still how to remove the "cartridge".

Can someone confirm if I have to remove the escutcheon (which means cutting it away from the tile since it seems glued in) or if I have to somehow twist out the "cartridge"?

Thanks for your help - without you - I'd never have the courage to try this!

Donna

Reply to
Donna

Hi Caloo Calay, I did go to Home Depot, armed with the printout of the photographs.

Unfortunately, we didn't find ANYTHING that matched this faucet! The store person suggested I take the Delta faucet apart and come in with the parts in my hand.

Of course, that's where the problem is. I can't figure out the next step in disassembly.

It looks like two options were suggested here: a) Cut away the escutcheon with a knife and see if there is something behind it to remove ... or ... b) Grab the post sticking out with channel locks and try to twist it out by force ...

To get a better handle on the next step (i.e., a or b above), I tried calling Delta Customer Support at 1-800-345-DELTA (800-345-3358) but they were closed for the weekend. So I emailed them at snipped-for-privacy@deltafaucet.com and I hope to get a response.

Meanwhile, I appreciate any and all help you guys can provide as it's not obvious to me, and, whatever you help with, the next person with the same problem will have this information in the archives to benefit from.

Donna

Reply to
Donna

Here's a Delta diagram of what's behind the "escutcheon".

That exploded diagram might help you understand what's next - but - it doesn't help me figure out what's the next part to remove.

I've heard two different answers ... which one is the right one?

That is, should I cut off the escutcheon with a knife or should I try to pull or twist the brass tube thingey with channel locks?

Donna

Reply to
Donna

site.http://www.deltafaucet.com/wps/portal/deltacom/kcxml/04_Sj9SPykssy0xP...>

set:

The diagram is for a "ball type" Delta faucet, which is not what you have. Spin the brass ring off with a pipe wrench or channellocks (gently) and then pull the cartridge out. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE WATER OFF, and let the water pressure out of hot and cold before you do this, or you will get really wet, and might send parts flying as you take it apart.

Here is a pictorial of what you need to do, but I still don't think you need to take off the escutcheon.

JK

Reply to
Big_Jake

Ooops. No. I just turned the handle to shut the water off. I guess I better turn the water off at the main inlet huh? I didn't think of that - but then - I didn't get to that part yet. (It wouldn't have been my first disaster, mind you!).

Without you guys, I'd never have the courage to attempt these jobs! Thanks for your help ...

I guess I'll try the channellocks on the brass part, twisting it counter clockwise - to see if something happens.

Donna

Reply to
Donna

Hi Joseph Meehan,

This advise sounds easy but in fact you can't buy the repair kit, at least at the Home Depot I visited with pictures in my hand - until you positively identify the faucet.

And, it turns out, you can't positively identify which repair kit to use until you take apart the faucet (at least according to Home Depot).

Which brings us back to square one ... how to disassemble the Delta shower faucet to repair a leak?

Donna

Reply to
Donna

Hi John Grabowski, You're the second person to recommend removing the chrome "escutcheon". There are two problems with that - the first is that it's stuck on and I'm scared of cutting it away - but - the second is that others here say we don't have to remove that chrome escutcheon.

When I look at the diagram on the Delta site, I can't tell (I can't find the instructions for taking the Delta faucet apart on the Delta web site).

Can you tell, from this diagram, whether I need to remove the escutcheon next (which means cutting it away from the tile) or if I need to somehow spin out the brass cylinder with pliars?

Donna

Reply to
Donna

From the diagram it looks as though there is a screw in the center that needs to be removed and that may be what is keeping the remaining parts secure. However I don't see that screw in your actual photograph. According to Big Jake the escutcheon does not need to be removed on this particular valve and the diagram appears to support that claim. However I am wondering what role that big round piece which is probably behind the escutcheon plays in all of this. The escutcheon is probably just stuck to the wall from caulk. If you want to remove it, try getting a small flat screwdriver or a putty knife behind it and gingerly work your way around.

I have found that plumbing instructions, like electrical instructions are written for people who already know how to do this type of work so no great detail is provided.

Reply to
John Grabowski

Hi John, Joe, Jake, Joseph, etc.

That big round brass bonnet turns out to be fundamental to the cartridge removal process! I called Delta again this morning (800-345-3358) for one of my most amazing customer support phone calls.

First off, I didn't have to press 1 for English (why isn't that always the default!), second, they answered the phone right away (wow!), third it was a human who answered (woo hoo!), and fourth, they knew what I was talking about without me having to ask for the next level of support! Amazing. Simply amazing. I went from cursing Delta to loving Delta in a single phone call!

What Delta customer support told me on the phone was the following:

- No need to remove the escutcheon (unless we need more room)

- No need for any tools (except, in dire cases, a strap wrench)

- She called the set screw a grub screw & said it was 1/8 inch allen head

- She said I described the Delta 1300 or Delta 1400 series faucet

- The parts and procedure are the same for either shower faucet

The key is the brass bonnet ring (as you surmised):

- The brass bonnet ring spins off counter clockwise by hand

- If it won't spin by hand (it didn't for me, but, I'm not that strong)

- She said to soak a rag in a 1:1 solution of warm water & vinnegar

- Let the rag sit on the brass bonnet up to four times

In tough cases:

- If it's won't turn off by hand, she said DO NOT USE CHANNEL LOCKS!

- She was adamant about not using any two-point pliars!

- She said pliars don't apply even 360-degree pressure

- She said the only tool recommended is a "strap wrench"

- I'm not sure what a strap wrench is, but, I guess it's like a really t- Once you spin out the cartridge, buy a replacement cartridge

- Reassembly is as simple as spinning the cartridge back in

- The cartridge is Delta P/N RP19804 for both faucet types

- She said it's at Lowes, Home Depot, Ace Hardware, Best Hardware, etc.

Well, I guess we know the answer. Spin out the bonnet. I am off to Ace to see if I can find a tiny strap wrench after work today. Wish me luck!

Donna

Reply to
Donna