Home shower drip repair (how do I get the Delta faucet apart)?

Page 1 of 2
Can you help me get my Delta shower faucet apart so I can stop an annoying drip?
I'm stuck - I don't know how to get the shower faucet apart? - I removed the two bolts holding the back plate on - I removed the set screw holding the handle on - I removed the sleeve around the brass thing that turns And ... I'm basically stuck here ... I can't see what next to remove.
I posted 15 pictures of the steps here http://www.flickr.com/photos/donnaohl/sets/72157603940232052 /
Can you help me with the next step to dissaembly of this Delta shower faucet?
Thank you, Donna

It might be hard to see the key pics so to help you help me, I just made extensive annotations of the pics for you to help me.
This is basically where I started http://www.flickr.com/photos/donnaohl/2484369038/in/set-72157603940232052 /
And, this is basically where I'm stuck! http://www.flickr.com/photos/donnaohl/2483559087/in/set-72157603940232052 /
Do you know what next to remove to get this Delta shower faucet apart? Thanks, Donna

Great picture, but I can't help. Try poking around here:
http://www.deltafaucet.com/wps/portal/deltacom/kcxml/04_Sj9SPykssy0xPLMnMz0vM0Y_QjzKLN7SMN_byAckB2ebxYY76kaiCAfFmTkhiQfre-r4e-bmp-gH6BbmhEeWOjooAynHWWg !!/delta/base64xml/L2dJQSEvUUt3QS80SVVFLzZfMTlfM0pT
Or, the shorter version:
http://tinyurl.com/64rlmo
Donna,
Try going to Home Depot et al, and find the "kit" that repairs your faucet. Then you will be able to identify what needs to come out. Note that you will probably need to grab onto that metal post sticking out, with a pliers, and just pull it out, and whatever is attached to it (probably a valve). .Make sure you have removed whatever parts are holding the valve in before trying to pull it out. It might be hard to get out, even with all the obstructions removed. If the Delta is like other faucets, you just need to pull out the old "valve", and insert the new one. (PLus all the other parts) Around $15 to $20 at home depot probably.
Great pictures, btw.
On Sun, 11 May 2008 15:52:35 -0700 (PDT), caloo calay wrote:

Hi Caloo Calay, I did go to Home Depot, armed with the printout of the photographs.
Unfortunately, we didn't find ANYTHING that matched this faucet! The store person suggested I take the Delta faucet apart and come in with the parts in my hand.
Of course, that's where the problem is. I can't figure out the next step in disassembly. http://www.flickr.com/photos/donnaohl/2484557563/in/set-72157603940232052 /
It looks like two options were suggested here: a) Cut away the escutcheon with a knife and see if there is something behind it to remove ... or ... b) Grab the post sticking out with channel locks and try to twist it out by force ...
To get a better handle on the next step (i.e., a or b above), I tried calling Delta Customer Support at 1-800-345-DELTA (800-345-3358) but they were closed for the weekend. So I emailed them at snipped-for-privacy@deltafaucet.com and I hope to get a response.
Meanwhile, I appreciate any and all help you guys can provide as it's not obvious to me, and, whatever you help with, the next person with the same problem will have this information in the archives to benefit from.
Donna
On Sun, 11 May 2008 17:40:41 -0400, JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

Hi Joe, That was a great idea to poke around the Delta site. http://www.deltafaucet.com/wps/portal/deltacom/kcxml/04_Sj9SPykssy0xPLMnMz0vM0Y_QjzKLNzSPN3cNBMmB2WGO-pGoggHxZk5IYkH63vq-Hvm5qfoB-gW5oRHljo6KAB45wpM !/delta/base64xml/L3dJdyEvd0ZNQUFzQUMvNElVRS82XzE3XzdFUg!!?WCM_GLOBAL_CONTEXT=http://render1.deltafaucet.com/wps/wcm/connect/www.deltafaucet.com/Customer+Support/Frequently+Asked+Questions/Leaks/My+Tub+or+Shower+faucet+leaks
I found this exploded diagram: http://tinyurl.com/5fb5y3 Which I reproduced in the slide show on flickr at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/donnaohl/sets/72157603940232052/show/with/2484362698 /
Specifically, it's this picture in the set: http://www.flickr.com/photos/donnaohl/2484557563/in/set-72157603940232052 /
I see some people say to remove the "escutcheon" and others say leave it be. Unfortunately, from the exploded diagram above, I can't tell still how to remove the "cartridge".
Can someone confirm if I have to remove the escutcheon (which means cutting it away from the tile since it seems glued in) or if I have to somehow twist out the "cartridge"?
Thanks for your help - without you - I'd never have the courage to try this!
Donna

The diagram is for a "ball type" Delta faucet, which is not what you have. Spin the brass ring off with a pipe wrench or channellocks (gently) and then pull the cartridge out. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE WATER OFF, and let the water pressure out of hot and cold before you do this, or you will get really wet, and might send parts flying as you take it apart.
Here is a pictorial of what you need to do, but I still don't think you need to take off the escutcheon.
http://www.hammerzone.com/archives/plumbing/bathtub/faucet1/deltarot/replseal.html
JK

My comments on the handyman article should you attempt this repair yourselves. http://www.hammerzone.com/archives/plumbing/bathtub/faucet1/deltarot/replseal.html http://tinyurl.com/4y3bwl
They were omnipotent when they said "we had to study the situation for a few minutes before we realized that the brass collar was actually a separate part from the rest of the brass valve housing" and "Once the retaining collar was removed, the rest was obvious." The same ideas were expressed in this thread.
But the actual steps they took in that handyman article were wrong not only because they used pliars instead of a strap wrench but because they took apart parts that even they didn't use so they never needed to take apart those part in the first place. There was no need to pry off the o ring on the tip of the valve and to pry off the brass temperature limit valve either. They were just blindly taking things apart because they could not because they should.
Otherwise it was a good article and the pictures are excellent. Combined with this thread I would think someone could now do the job in about ten minutes. They even explained why there is a screw hole which isn't used in a handle shower faucet but which is used in a knob shower faucet.

IIRC, you need to remove the escutcheon (The big silver plate that covers the hole) In behind it, you'll probably find a big U shaped brass or spring steel retainer clip that holds the plastic cartridge in place in the housing. Pull up on it to remove it. The little brass limit stop on the front of the white cartridge in you picture usually slips off, the cartridge gets set to the noon position, and with the retainer clip off, the cartridge slips right out coming forward. If you have to use any significant force you are doing something wrong. The only things keeping it in place at that point are a couple of O-rings.
On Sun, 11 May 2008 17:48:38 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Here's a Delta diagram of what's behind the "escutcheon". http://www.flickr.com/photos/donnaohl/2484557563/in/set-72157603940232052 /
That exploded diagram might help you understand what's next - but - it doesn't help me figure out what's the next part to remove.
I've heard two different answers ... which one is the right one?
That is, should I cut off the escutcheon with a knife or should I try to pull or twist the brass tube thingey with channel locks?
Donna

The big brass ring that you point to and say "This doesn't have a flat spot" needs to come off, with Channellocks or a pipe wrench (gently). It spins off counter-clockwise. It is holding the cartridge in (the main white plastic part). Typically Delta's have a couple of rubber "cups" on the back of the cartridge that can be replaced to stop a leak. If the cartridge is bad, it will be pretty expensive. The last one like yours I had to replace had frozen. :-(
JK

Gosh I hope you turned the water off, both sides, first...
JK
On Sun, 11 May 2008 17:55:57 -0700 (PDT), Big_Jake wrote:

Ooops. No. I just turned the handle to shut the water off. I guess I better turn the water off at the main inlet huh? I didn't think of that - but then - I didn't get to that part yet. (It wouldn't have been my first disaster, mind you!).
Without you guys, I'd never have the courage to attempt these jobs! Thanks for your help ...
I guess I'll try the channellocks on the brass part, twisting it counter clockwise - to see if something happens.
Donna
Did you buy the repair kit? Did it not come with instructions? Note: I know the first step: Turn off both hot and cold water supply. :-)

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit
On Sun, 11 May 2008 18:45:37 -0400, Joseph Meehan wrote:

Hi Joseph Meehan,
This advise sounds easy but in fact you can't buy the repair kit, at least at the Home Depot I visited with pictures in my hand - until you positively identify the faucet.
And, it turns out, you can't positively identify which repair kit to use until you take apart the faucet (at least according to Home Depot).
Which brings us back to square one ... how to disassemble the Delta shower faucet to repair a leak?
Donna
wholzhueter had written this in response to http://www.thestuccocompany.com/maintenance/Re-Home-shower-drip-repair-how-do-I-get-the-Delta-faucet-a-306199-.htm : I had a hard time when I reached this point, but if you pull and wiggle the stem assembly until you see a gap between the plastic and metal part and then use a flat blade screwdriver to gently pry them apart. This is where you'll find the cups and springs assembly. Simply (I used tweezers) remove the old cups and springs and replace them with the new set. voila! Put it back together the way it came out and turn the water on. Works like a charm! Good luck! Walt
------------------------------------- Joseph Meehan wrote:

##-----------------------------------------------## Delivered via http://www.thestuccocompany.com/ Building Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.home.repair - 299769 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##

You need to remove the chrome escution from the wall. It should pry off easily. It may be held on by some caulk or just a gasket in back, but be gentle and pry around it so that you not deform it.
After the escution is removed you may get a better idea of how to remove the valve stem. There may be a hex fitting that you will need to put a wrench on.

Actually no, you don't, and putting the screws back in is a good idea, since you won't need to take off the escutcheon. The whole thing will feel more stable as you work on it with the screws down tight. Depending on how the shower valve is anchored behind the wall, you might cause a leak by all the twisting you have to do. Having the screws down tight should make that less likely.
Look at my other post, there is nothing more you need to see behind the escutcheon.
JK

Sorry for the misinfo. My stuff is all Kohler and you definitely need to remove the escutcheon to access the parts that need removal.
On Sun, 11 May 2008 20:10:44 -0400, John Grabowski wrote:

Hi John Grabowski, You're the second person to recommend removing the chrome "escutcheon". There are two problems with that - the first is that it's stuck on and I'm scared of cutting it away - but - the second is that others here say we don't have to remove that chrome escutcheon.
When I look at the diagram on the Delta site, I can't tell (I can't find the instructions for taking the Delta faucet apart on the Delta web site). http://tinyurl.com/5fb5y3
Can you tell, from this diagram, whether I need to remove the escutcheon next (which means cutting it away from the tile) or if I need to somehow spin out the brass cylinder with pliars?
Donna