Home Owners Insurance & AARP

Anyone in that belongs to AARP useing there home insurance program they use the Hartford Ins Co.
Is it difficult to settle a claim.
I got a quote on both of my vehicle's on line and its a nice deal. If they will pay when you need them.
Thanks
Tom
Tom
My mother uses this insurance through AARP. She had a major plumbing leak last year. Her local agent was very helpful, she is happy with the repair work, the paperwork was minimal, and the contractors were paid. I think that you should try to get some info on the local agency who will handle your claims.
Dave M.
--WebTV-Mail-30154-4039 Content-Type: Text/Plain; Charset=US-ASCII Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7Bit
I have both homeowners and car insurance with Hartford through AARP. Very satisfied . I have had them for over 10 years. Had someone side swipe a vehicle I had. Settled and check in the mail to me in 3 days.
I have also found their premiums cheaper for my vehicle and homeowners ins. than any other insurance company around in comparison to friends with the same coverage.
They have agents all over the country.
Pat.
--WebTV-Mail-30154-4039 Content-Description: signature Content-Disposition: Inline Content-Type: Text/HTML; Charset=US-ASCII Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7Bit
--WebTV-Mail-30154-4039--

I have both car and home with the Hartford. When my windshield broke the day before leaving on vacation, they had it fixed at my work the same day. Great service.
See if you can get a price from a local agency. AARP is higher than what I pay through my agent.

My insurance won't pay for glass unless you sign up for full glass coverage.

This is Turtle.
Here is a little story and not any advertisement at all except what happen on lt. About 3 years back we had a hail story here in Louisiana and My father, My friend, and Myself was all owners of houses that the hail took out the roofs of the houses. My Father had Hartford through the AARP, My Friend had GIECO , and Myself Had State Farm ins. My Father had a new roof put on his house and done with in about 30 days. My friend had a little trouble but settled up in about 4 months. Myself had hell in collecting and 10 months later had to hire a Lawyer to collect. I had to pay the law fees for the payment was 1/2 and not none payment. The bill was $5,400.00 and I collected it but I was out the $450.00 Law fees.
So I don't know how to explain this but just look at it pick out what you want.
TURTLE
twfsa wrote:

Personally, if AARP gets a cut, they could charge no premium and pay claims at replacement value + 20% w/o me having to call them first and I'd still shun them like the plague... :(

Forget AARP. They have been a total rip off, hearing from many former members.

I have my auto insurance thru AARP/the Hartford.
They gave me the best rates of anyone without any problems.
Doug
DOUGLAS wrote:

They're sometimes almost OK IFF you live near one of their "centers". Did you check where you'll have to take your vehicle if you get into a scrape? When I checked that, I left in a hurry and my wife uses their stoopid little 6-banger calculator they rewarded us with. Only, I went directly to the company instead of using AARP's information. Same place AARP sends you, but quicker. Tell them you just bought a car and don't already own one and you'll get an "interesting" response.
Pop

The location of their "center's' doesn't interest me.
Here in Connecticut, we can take a car to the shop of our choice for repairs - per Insurance Commissioner's rules. It's then up to the underwriting company to send an adjuster to that shop.
If you really push the issue, I suspect that it's the same in most states.
As for buying a car and not already owning one - most companies classify such a driver as "new", even if they may have had a license for 30 years. In such cases they often charge higher rates or don't want you at all. To them, you have no track record.
It's like trying to get a mortgage without ANY credit history - that can be worse than having bad credit.
These days, having a break in insurance coverage, whether its home, auto or health, can be the kiss of death when trying to again become insured.
Doug
<snip>

I've been without health insurance for almost 5 years now. It's no longer affordable ($1200 a month) for my family, yet the rate continues to soar. I was able to get a lower rate for home insurance by increasing the deductible to $1000.
Phisherman wrote:

Not a bad idea, re: raising homeowners deductible. You almost certainly wouldn't want to put in a claim for less than that anyway, since filing claims on H.O. insurance has a definite negative effect in the future. (Raised premiums, cancelling policy, etc.). The insurers all share claim histories with a database the industry calls "CLUE".
DOUGLAS wrote:

I've heard a lot of positive reviews about this service. I, myself, do not have it b/c I simply haven't looked into switching my current service, but I've heard good things about AARP's relationship with Hartford.
twfsa wrote:

The Hartford doesn't get very high ratings on the 2004 J.D.Power studies.
http://www.jdpower.com/cc/auto/insuranceratings/FindInsuranceRatings.jsp
http://www.jdpower.com/cc/auto/insuranceratings/FindCollisionRepairRatings.jsp
http://www.jdpower.com/cc/homes/insuranceratings/FindHomeInsuranceRatings.jsp

Look at the overall ratings. of 16, four placed higher, two placed lower, nine were rated the same. In auto, the are part of 12 of 22 in the average. 5 of 22 placed higher, 5 also lower.
While not the best, I'd conclude they are OK, better than others. In the top six for pricing of auto.