Home insurance rates increasing

Page 3 of 3
harry wrote:

I believe it is due to "Hope and change."
On 2/27/2013 10:55 PM, AngryOldWhiteGuy wrote:

Lots of wildfires, high risk for more; gotta have more money to pay future claims.
On Feb 27, 9:55 pm, "AngryOldWhiteGuy"

There may be a reduction in your premium based on the length of time you have been with them, and other items such as autos that you have insured with them. When you cancelled and came back, perhaps those discounts did not apply any more. It would be useful to compare , line by line, with your old policy to see which items actually increased. I am with State Farm also, and am familiar somewhat with their way of writing a policy. I am about 100 miles south of Dallas, and my policy went up about $100, but I've been solidly with them for 30 years.
On 2/28/2013 7:26 AM, Robert wrote:

I am in south Fl. I had State Farm for over 40 years for all my insurance needs. Last year I was cancelled. They didn't give me a valid reason to do so. My house passed their wind mitigation requirements and I had not had any claims. . I was then assigned to the State sponsored insurance company. My rates went to $ 3500 per year on a house valued at $25000. This year I was transferred to another company. New rates will be over $4000 a year. Welcome to Florida. Since I have no mortgage, I will be cutting back where I can. Chuck B.

At least you don't have a state income tax.

I am surprised State Farm held on to you that long. They dumped most of Coastal Florida customers a decade ago, along with the rest of the big companies. Allstate rolled me into Royal Palm which became Tower Hill. Far worse is being in the Citizens (government insurance) risk pool.
I dropped wind and flood and I am about in line with the OP. ($1500)
On 2/27/2013 10:55 PM, AngryOldWhiteGuy wrote:

I'd blame Hurricane Sandy. Insurance companies spreading their loss. It effects all of us.
Global warming or not, people building in Mother Nature's pathways and suffering damage make it bad for the rest of us.
AngryOldWhiteGuy wrote:

I've been insured with State Farm for my car for about 25 years, and combined with my house insurance for about 15 years.
I pay about $1800 a year to insure two vehicles (car and pickup) each older than 10 years. We have a "no-fault" car insurance system here in Ontario. On a per-vehicle basis, the bill works out to $340 for bodily liability, $444 for accident benefits, $90 Direct compensation (property dammage), $74 Loss or Damage ($500/$1000 deductible). No drivers in the household under 25 years old. No accident claims for the past 20 years.
As part of a combined policy, we pay $440 per year for house insurance. Replacement value of house is about $200k (market value is about $300k). Deductible might be $5 or $10k. No mortgage insurance (house is fully paid for).
House insurance premiums has been flat for years - I think it's always been between $420 and $450 for the 15 years I've had it. Car insurance has gone down maybe $100 per vehicle over the past 3 years (might have something to do with some changes to our laws).

What is the value of your cars On 10+ year cars, it's usually a waste of money to have collision. You can put that money in the bank for your next car.
On Sun, 3 Mar 2013 15:27:59 -0600, "Attila Iskander"

That's true long before 10 years, though things are changing, given the prices of new cars and the sinking economy. Used cars are becoming more valuable.
However, the point of any insurance is to cover what you can't afford to lose. The car's age, or worth, isn't a direct factor (only to the extend of whether you can afford...). Only a fool insures what he can comfortably afford to lose (and that *may* be a 10-YO car).
kr williams @ att.net wrote:

Did you not read what I wrote?
Look at the fraction of my insurance premiums that actually cover damage or loss of the vehicles, vs what I'm paying for bodily injury / accident benefits.
I'm paying pretty close to the minimum to actually cover loss/damage to the car, and I think I have the highest deductible available.

Yes, HomoGay, as painful as that was. Obviously you can't think.

Proof positive.

Yes, HomoGay, I believe you're that stupid. No need to shout it from the rooftops.
AngryOldWhiteGuy wrote:

State Farm jacked up their rates a lot about a year ago. We left, had been with them 16 years, suggest you check around.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
On 2/27/2013 9:55 PM, AngryOldWhiteGuy wrote:

Why does this require leaving the major insuror rather than simply changing agents????
And, of course, if you are going to make a change, shop some. I was never very happy w/ State Farm even when had them years ago...
in message

It's called Free Enterprise, what's the problem?
On Feb 27, 9:55 pm, "AngryOldWhiteGuy"

ip

m a

ce

%

-

use

t I

A large increase in property damage due to tornados ,major storms, and wild fires. All insurance companies are getting hit hard for the damage claims nation wide and are raising rates on everyone whether your neighborhood got hit or not. Car damage & payout for them in these incidents is just as bad as the houses & businesses.