Home Depot Throws Away, But Won't Donate, Brand New Merchandise

So do Fire Departments. Whole bunch of old "6 by"s serving as grass rigs, for instance.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

I ASSume that someone removed or wiped the hard drives before doing so? Talk about liability problems!

nate

Reply to
N8N

"aemeijers" wrote in message news:tr0yk.212085$ snipped-for-privacy@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...

I'm an old hot-rodder and worked at a Chevy dealership in Pompano Beach, FL in 1978. I arrived at work on a Monday morning and saw some commotion in the new vehicle receiving area behind the service dep't. where I was a Service Advisor. A carrier had delivered a new Corvette that had failed to clear an overpass and lost everything from the dash level up. A week or so later a company rep inspected the car and authorized disassembly and destruction of EVERY working or otherwise usable part of the car. One of my mechanics was assigned the job and I even got my commission for his labor. Radio, all dash parts, seats, carpet, doors, glass, column, shifter, console, .... EVERYTHING ... was removed and smashed with iron bars or cut up and tossed in a pile for later verification. The engine, transmission, and differential were disassembled and also destroyed. Valves were bent over in the heads and the block smashed full of holes. Alternator, starter, etc ... you get my drift. We almost cried.

Reply to
PanHandler

BTW - even the tires were slashed and the wheels destroyed, along with all body panels and trim.

Reply to
PanHandler

state farm insurance owns auto salvage yards. found that out when my wife bottomed her cobalt and broke transmission case, the replacement transmission was from a salvaGE YARD OWNED BY STATE FARM

Reply to
hallerb

And that would be a problem - how?

Let's see...

- Home Depot donates some Home Depot tool bags. Maybe they choose to take a write-off or maybe they just choose to feel good about themselves.

- My youth organization holds an event or a competition, and we give the bags to some teenagers. We feel good, the kids feel good.

- Some kid, either immediately or when (s)he's done with it, sells it on eBay. The kid feels good, the new owner feels good, Home Depot still has their name out there on the bag.

Who got hurt?

The other option is to throw the bags in the garbage so no one feels good and the landfill gets fuller.

What am I missing?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Then their vendors cut them off for breach of contract.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

Yeah, I used to work for the agency that gave it to them, and I used to attend a lot of state and metro auctions, back when they still had live auctions. Guess what? A lot of that stuff gets sold or vanishes without a trace, once donated. Better that than the landfill, I guess.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

Most of those actually are 'long term loan', through GSA/Forest Service. When they get worn out, they are returned (on paper only) to GSA, and sold through their online auctions. Go to gasauctions.gov, and look under 'trucks'. Half of them are usually red-painted old military 6x6 and Dodge 880s.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

I think you meant "gsaauctions.gov". Sometimes I'm lisdexic.

[8~{} Uncle Monster
Reply to
Uncle Monster

But big box food stores are likely to use the home depot method. My buddies wife worked for a big box food chain and then moved on and got a much better paid job at a regional family owned chain. The big box market had a compacting dumpster. Anything that became outdated had to go into the dumpster to be compacted and it had to be witnessed by an additional employee. She says her current employer does donate the stuff to various charitable organizations.

Have seen them loading up at the

Reply to
George

te:

All that means is that the stupidity is more wide spread.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I Bet you were Moved then.

Reply to
Red Green

Rick-Meister wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

You will also find that if an item is discarded there is no liability to them or the mfgr.. If it is donated or sold, liability is possible.

Reply to
Red Green

Yeah, you gotta be worried about what a soft sided tool bag could do to someone. They're an accident just waiting to happen.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

DerbyDad03 wrote in news:gammk7$rbe$ snipped-for-privacy@aioe.org:

I know!

Charlie puts his lil' bro in the bag and zips it. Tosses in apt bldg trash chute as a ha-ha.

Reply to
Red Green

Two issues with donating:

  1. It brings out the moochers and beggars. Every half-assed "charity" organization will be beating down the doors of their local BOB store for donations if word gets out. Really, it's a nightmare.

  1. Liability. Some stupid kid gets a zipper cut from one of those bags and mom sues BOB for a million dollars in medical bills and mental anguish. Even if they win, it doesn't come without cost.

Reply to
mkirsch1

Again, liability concerns. What's to say he innocently donates these taters with every good intention and they turn out to be contaminated? Now you've got a bunch of sick/dead homeless people and/or their families, suing the service organization and your friend.

Canned goods have to go through FDA-approved processes to prevent contamination, and money can be used to purchase canned goods.

Reply to
mkirsch1

He could have called here:

And those John Edwards wannabes whose pictures appear on every bus wanting to help (themselves) are cut out of the loop when food donations to a charity are concerned by the Bill Emerson Good Samaritan food donation act (P.L. 104-210):

The Bill Emerson Good Samaritan Food Donation Act

On October 1, 1996, President Clinton signed the Bill Emerson Good Samaritan Food Donation Act to encourage the donation of food and grocery products to non-profit organizations for distribution to needy individuals. This law makes it easier to donate. Here's how:

It protects donors from liability when donating to a non-profit organization.

It protects donors from civil and criminal liability should the product donated in good faith later cause harm to the needy recipient.

It standardizes donor liability exposure. Donors and their legal counsel no longer have to investigate liability laws in 50 states.

It sets a liability floor of "gross negligence" or intentional misconduct for persons who donate grocery products. (See Act text for further definitions.)

Congress recognized that the provision of food close to recommended date of sale is, in and of itself, not grounds for finding gross negligence. For example, cereal can be donated if it is marked close to code date for retail sale.

The bill was named for Rep. Bill Emerson (R-Missouri) who fought for the proposal but died of cancer before it was passed. The text of this Act follows:

George