home A/C and R-22 - cost per lb

Page 1 of 7
Just wondering what the A/C service companies are charging for R-22 these days. I called for service on our home A/C unit, and the basic showup charge is $85, but forgot to ask the R-22 per lb charge... Will call around tomorrow.
--
/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/
No Good Deed -
Just wondering what the A/C service companies are charging for R-22 these days. I called for service on our home A/C unit, and the basic showup charge is $85, but forgot to ask the R-22 per lb charge... Will call around tomorrow.
--
/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/
No Good Deed -
On Tue, 10 Jul 2012 19:38:39 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
They're replacing the evaporator in one of our units (4T) tomorrow. I doubt he'll be wearing a coat (in Georgia, in the attic under a black shingled roof).
KR Williams ( snipped-for-privacy@att.biz) wrote:

is the most retarded place to put a home's hvac unit.
On 7/10/2012 10:32 PM, HomeGuy wrote:

"THE EVAPORATOR" Retard. Air handlers are often installed in attics to facilitate registers in the ceiling. GEEZ! O_o
TDD
On Wed, 11 Jul 2012 00:54:40 -0500, The Daring Dufas

Yup. Short, direct runs to the rooms. It would have been smarter to put the returns down low, though. ;-)
On 7/11/2012 8:48 AM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

With so many homes built on a slab, where oh where could the furnace air handler and duct work be installed? Hummm, let me see...... O_o
TDD
On Wed, 11 Jul 2012 09:55:25 -0500, The Daring Dufas

My AL house is on a slab. The downstairs air handler is in a closet with a 25x25 return grille right in front of it. This house has an unfinished basement and both air handlers are in the attic. Both the returns and the cold/warm air grilles are in the ceiling.

Your house is on a slab AND has a basement?
How does that work?
On 7/11/2012 3:27 PM, HeyBub wrote:

Magic or folded space alla Dr. Who's Tardis. ^_^
TDD

Yep.
The slab is in Alabama[1] and the Basement[2] is in Georgia. Big house - two states and four air handlers. ;-)
[1] Attached to a house [2] Under this house (it's a weekday, so it's Georgia)
On 7/11/2012 3:45 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

Someone once asked me what state I was in? My answer: Confusion. ^_^
TDD
On Wed, 11 Jul 2012 15:53:34 -0500, The Daring Dufas

My taxes are going to be a real mess this year (wife lives and works in AL, I'm work gin in GA and my pension is paid in AL), so next April I really will be. It was bad enough last year, but I just claimed non-resident. Can't do that this year.

Too bad you oscillate between states that have income taxes. You could move a bit farther south, to Florida, and avoid all that silliness. Or, go west, young man. There are actually seven states without an income tax (Alaska, Florida, Nevada, South Dakota, Texas, Washington, and Wyoming).

I really should. But I went (both places) were the job is.

Guess it depends on what the job is.

Not really, they're the same; the one I accepted. ;-)
On Wed, 11 Jul 2012 10:41:38 -0500, The Daring Dufas

Plenty of slab houses have a mechanical closet for HVAC. Attic HVAC is just cost-cutting, pure and simple. Not worth the cost "savings" IMO.
--
Vic

On Wed, 11 Jul 2012 09:26:59 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"

Well, I'm retracting what I said anyway. Don't know enough about it. Just thought the attic was a bad place because I've never seen it. My sis has a 1st floor condo in Florida and everything except the condenser is in a closet. Real quiet too. But it's a small place and the ductwork is probably only in 2 walls. I'll have to look at that next time I'm there. Thinking about it, I don't even know where the condenser is, and since the mech room is in the center, it puzzles me that the refrigerant must make a long run to the outside. Has to be at least 30' to the outside from there. My condenser is only about 6' from the evap. What you said about running the duct work in the attic makes sense. Then it makes sense to have the air handler there too. So I take everything back.
--
Vic

You can go like 100ft with lines if you have to. The attic ones here typically have 50 ft or so.

A big potential advantage to having it inside the house is it can make servicing a lot easier. Some of the attic ones here have walk-in attics, which make that point moot too.