hole in the basement floor

Page 2 of 2
On Mon, 08 Jul 2013 20:16:05 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

The house I bought had to get (and I think I had to pay for) a termite inspiection. Someone told me they don't look behind anything t hat's attached to the walls etc. In my case that still leaves half of the basement ceiling to look at, but I think in some houses it leaves nothing. Even in my case, if the termites are not in that half of the basement ceiling yet, the inspector won't find them.
Or does he mostly look for termite tunnels outside? Anyone could do that.
On Mon, 8 Jul 2013 09:18:46 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"

I accept your answer that you werent' trying to break her spirit. In fact I probably never thought you were. It was just a manner of speaking.
Maybe I should have said, "You risk breaking her spirit, or taking the joy out of the process even if you don't break her".
On Saturday, July 6, 2013 9:04:01 PM UTC-5, leza wang wrote:

, so now I am thinking they did that hole to fix something! not sure really . My question, with what i should fill that hole? I am thinking to buy sand s, or you think I should do something else? Thanks a lot. http://www.youtub e.com/watch?vz6MTYXBYw&feature=youtu.be
Leza,
Are there any pipes or any anything inside the hole, that look as though th ey might connect to somethintg else, like it is part of a perimeter drain s ystem? Does water come up in the hole when it rains? Is the window in the picture right at ground level like your laundry room window? Is it on the same side of the house as the laundry room window?

The floor is what material and how thick ?
Greg
leza wang wrote:

Are you in Toronto? which part of the city? I used to live in Scarboro, left Ontario in the spring of 1970 on a company transfer. How big is the hole? Maybe it is a drain pit? Then you should remedy the leak problem first. If you bought that house, have you used the service of house inspector?
On 7/6/2013 9:04 PM, leza wang wrote:

There are probably a few things "out of the ordinary" with your house, but if you take a good look at any old house you will find a few things "out of the ordinary." If it were antique furniture the term would be "patina." The thing about patina is you leave it alone or the antique will lose value. Think of your house the same way.
The hole has been there for some time. It was put there for a reason. Until you can find out the reason, leave things alone. If it is a drain then let it drain or find the leak and repair it. Some problems are minor and can be lived with, some have to be fixed. You can't fix a problem until you know what the problem is.
See what happens after a heavy rainfall. Keep an eye on things for a few days or weeks.
Out of curiosity, how did you find the hole to begin with. It looks like you tore up the floor to find it?
LdB
On Sunday, July 7, 2013 2:14:09 PM UTC-4, LdB wrote:

Thanks for your reply. Today was heavy rain and I did not see water goes to that hole. That wall has been dry. I put some cement from the outside and that might helped to push the water away not sure!
The laminate floor in that area was not firm and moving so I decided to re-seat them and that is how i found the whole. the previous owner did put a cement block in that hole, i guess just for safety if someone press that area and his/her leg go inside.
I would leave the hole as is till you know what its supposed to do......
leza wang wrote:

I think it's hard to tell exactly what the hole is for or how it got there.
I assume that the landing where the hole is located is at the same level as the rest of the basement floor. right? In other words, after you go through that door at the bottom of the stairway, there are no more steps going down from there, right?
So far, it does look like someone broke out the original concrete basement floor in that area and dug out a hole down along the foundation wall footing. Your video didn't show what it looks like inside the hole if you look toward where the steps are. Is there a dirt wall there or something else there, or does the opening go further along the side wall under the steps?
And, maybe you can do a little video or photo of that window from the outside. Maybe that is or was a problem area where water was getting in which caused the water leak in that area that you saw before. It might be the same deal -- the ground not being graded away from the house to allow water to run off away from the house rather than into the foundation wall.
I also agree with the others that you should wait for some heavy rains and see what happens with the hole open.
On Sunday, July 7, 2013 3:30:54 PM UTC-4, TomR wrote:

Yes Tom, you are right, the floor in the same level there is no more stairs . Yes the window there has exactly the same issue. It is level with the gro und. What is inside the whole, I see stones around the hole and dirt/sand i n the ground. I will take another video shortly. Thanks a lot once again.
I had the same thing happen once, I'd bought some fence post holes on sale and stored them in the basement, mice chewed a hole in the package and they leaked on the floor.
On Saturday, July 6, 2013 9:04:01 PM UTC-5, leza wang wrote:

, so now I am thinking they did that hole to fix something! not sure really . My question, with what i should fill that hole? I am thinking to buy sand s, or you think I should do something else? Thanks a lot. http://www.youtub e.com/watch?vz6MTYXBYw&feature=youtu.be
Good point by last poster. Is there any way you can contact the previous o wner. Even if you do not have contact information, your arealtor should be able to put you in contact with the sellers Realtor, and he/she should kno w how to contact the previous owners since that is where the check with the $$ from the sale went to.
On Saturday, July 6, 2013 9:04:01 PM UTC-5, leza wang wrote:

, so now I am thinking they did that hole to fix something! not sure really . My question, with what i should fill that hole? I am thinking to buy sand s, or you think I should do something else? Thanks a lot. http://www.youtub e.com/watch?vz6MTYXBYw&feature=youtu.be
Somehow, it doesn't see likely that Leeza's spirit will be broken. She see ms like a bright lady who wants to learn as much as possible.
leza wang wrote:

Even though I live in the U.S. on the East Coast (New Jersey), I heard on the news on radio this morning that Toronto had record setting rain yesterday, and more rain may be coming soon. Here's one news story that I just looked up online: http://www.thestar.com/news/2013/07/09/after_torontos_recordsetting_storm_more_rain_may_be_on_the_way.html .
So, of course, I am curious -- how did your laundry room leak and the basement hole issue do through the rain storm?