hole in the basement floor

e video below. Before I bought the house I saw water leakage in that corner , so now I am thinking they did that hole to fix something! not sure really . My question, with what i should fill that hole? I am thinking to buy sand s, or you think I should do something else? Thanks a lot.

Good point by last poster. Is there any way you can contact the previous o wner. Even if you do not have contact information, your arealtor should be able to put you in contact with the sellers Realtor, and he/she should kno w how to contact the previous owners since that is where the check with the $$ from the sale went to.

Reply to
hrhofmann

That's why I suggested getting a competent professional in to do a complete inspection and find out the real scope of all the problems. She's already poured some money into an "improvement" that was work for nothing because instead of solving a problem, it's making it worse.

I've long noticed in this group and others that some

I think most of the time people here give very practical and good advice and there are a range of possible options covering various price points. The overall thing here that stands out is that no one without experience should ever buy a house without a house inspection. If you do that, you could be paying $100K for a house that is worth $20K. That's not to break someone's spirit or be mean, it's just the truth.

Reply to
trader4

e video below. Before I bought the house I saw water leakage in that corner , so now I am thinking they did that hole to fix something! not sure really . My question, with what i should fill that hole? I am thinking to buy sand s, or you think I should do something else? Thanks a lot.

Somehow, it doesn't see likely that Leeza's spirit will be broken. She see ms like a bright lady who wants to learn as much as possible.

Reply to
hrhofmann

I agree.

That you think it is the truth, or even that something is the truth, does not mean that one has chosen the right time to express it.

It's of no value to her to be told she should have hired an inspector before she bought the house, because she's bought the house already, and she's in the middle of fixing it up. This can be a joyful experience, as one by one, the problems get fixed. Instead, such advice may turn it into months or years of berating oneself while awake, and inabiltiy to sleep. If things go badly all-in-all, she won't need you to convince her to hire an inspector before the next house. She'll figure it out herself, or she'll hear about it later. At any rate, a separate thread or inclusion in some other thread will make the same point to everyone else who might benefit by hearing it.

Reply to
micky

I accept your answer that you werent' trying to break her spirit. In fact I probably never thought you were. It was just a manner of speaking.

Maybe I should have said, "You risk breaking her spirit, or taking the joy out of the process even if you don't break her".

Reply to
micky

It is the truth plain and simple. And in my world, it's far better to tell someone how to avoid a potential disaster, so they learn, instead of sugar coating the obvious. Do you disagree that it's a mistake for someone not experienced in checking out a house to not get an inspection done before buying it?

Why would you start fixing stuff when you have no idea the extent of the problems? She already poured a concrete slab that not only didn't fix anything, but made it worse. She could do a lot of repairs, pour money into it, only to find out that to fix other problems that she can't recognize, those repairs she just made need to be torn out.

Instead, such

If that happens, it's not because of my advice.

If things go badly all-in-all, she

Leza is the one that needs to get hear what I and others have said. Good grief. All I said was that she needs a competent inspection done to find out what all is wrong with the house. She should have done that before the purchase. If she chooses to not do it now, it's another mistake. And I'm not buying that some etiquette says that I'm not supposed to tell her the truth.

Reply to
trader4

She seems to be handling it fairly well - and who knows, she may have gotten a real bargain on the place, even with the problems. In the future she will LIKELY investigate a bit more before buying - but with the home inspectors I've run across she could quite well have paid the man and still gotten the surprises. A good contractor or handyman looking it over may have been a better investment - who knows??

Reply to
clare

I wonder how many inspectors would have pulled the floor and found the hole.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

What I was saying. Half of them couldn't see it if it had a hinged lid.

Reply to
clare

An inspector may have missed the hole in the floor. But from the other threads, there are other obvious problems that any competent inspector would have easily identified.

Reply to
trader4

The house I bought had to get (and I think I had to pay for) a termite inspiection. Someone told me they don't look behind anything t hat's attached to the walls etc. In my case that still leaves half of the basement ceiling to look at, but I think in some houses it leaves nothing. Even in my case, if the termites are not in that half of the basement ceiling yet, the inspector won't find them.

Or does he mostly look for termite tunnels outside? Anyone could do that.

Reply to
micky

Are you saying the statements were plain and simple, or that because something is the truth, it's always the right time to say it?

I take major issue with the latter, and I'll explain why if that is what you meant.

I think that's the wrong question, and I thought I made clear in the previous post and even the first one why: She had bought the house already so it doesn't apply to her. And you're not telling her how to avoid a potential disaster.

Now you're talking about hiring an inspector after purchase to give advice about what repairs to make. But in the paragraph you're replying to I was referring hiring an "an inspector before she bought the house". Because you had said "She needs a complete home inspection, which should have been done before purchase. "

BTW, in my first post on this subject, I deleted both attibution lines, including yours, so as to not make it look like I was replying especially to you. There had been other posts elswhere in the thread that almost got the same reaction from me -- I don't know who wrote them - but not enought to make me post.

I didnt' complain about everything you and others said, only being a downer and risking breaking her spirit (as in "and it could be tens of thousands of dollars of trouble here."

I'm not relying on etiquette. It's common sense. Or "Love your neighbor as yourself"

I assume you saw the short reply that followed yesterday's longer reply by a few mintues. I apologize for annoying you, and for hurting your feelings if I did so. I was just looking out for Leza and other posters in her shoes.

Reply to
micky

Do you have a reading comprehension problem? I said it's the plain and simple truth that if you don't have the necessary skills to inspect a house yourself, you should hire a competent home inspector before buying a house.

Don't bother.

It's only the wrong question because you don't want to answer it.

and I thought I made clear in the

Yes I am. For two reasons. First, she needs a home inspector now for the obvious reasons I stated. Second, if I don't tell her now that she should have had a home inspector before she bought this house, what makes you think anyone is going to tell her that before she buys another house? Good grief.

See the above comments. Good grief.

But here you are, bitching at me, for giving good sound advice.

It could be tens of thousands of dollars of trouble. It's even possible that the house has so many problems that the best thing she could do is walk away from it, instead of pouring more money into it. But no one will know what she has unless she gets an inspection done.

Your definition of common sense obviously doesn't equal mine.

No you're not. Because you want to hold back the simple truth that people need to hear because you think it's going to hurt their "feelings". I suppose if someone had cancer, you'd just whisper sweet nothings in their ear, instead of telling them what they need to know so that they can get treatment.

PS: I don't see Leza bitching about this, only you.

Reply to
trader4

Even though I live in the U.S. on the East Coast (New Jersey), I heard on the news on radio this morning that Toronto had record setting rain yesterday, and more rain may be coming soon. Here's one news story that I just looked up online:

.

So, of course, I am curious -- how did your laundry room leak and the basement hole issue do through the rain storm?

Reply to
TomR