Hiring a contractor - no insurance?

Page 3 of 3
On Tue, 06 Sep 2011 12:51:45 -0500, Vic Smith

And not only that, but anyone can rent a skid steer to move the removal debris to the dumpster. Also, considering it's nearly fall and I believe you said you're in Iowa, your flowers will soon be dead anyhow. I'd opt to lose some flowers if it means saving several hundred bucks or more. Another thing, you get what you pay for. If you insist on someone who is insured, you'll pay more. The lower he can keep his costs, the lower his prices can be. I get the feeling you want a cadillac but are only willing to pay for a bicycle. Maybe that's why that first guy decided to not take your job, and just used the dumpster location as an excuse.
I was once a self employed building contractor. I turned down many jobs because people wanted way too much, yet were not willing to pay a fair price. I still recall one person who had me do an estimate, then asked for a lower price, while they then told me what days and hours I had to work, how they wanted the job done (which was not possible), where to buy my parts because they had a friend working there, and so on. I told them I was not interested, they insisted calling me daily for several months, begging me to do the job. I already know, that was because no one else would work for them either. I finally had to get the phone company to block their number to stop them from flooding my answering machine with calls.
On 9/7/2011 12:47 AM, snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com wrote:

Sorry, but you don't have a clue as to why he turned down.
Don

Were you born stupid, or did you just practice a LOT? I can tell you have never watched a skid steer work, or replanted flowers and reinstalled irrigation that had been torn up by equipment. And no, you don't always get what you pay for.
Steve

Gee - I would have thought the shrubbery was a positive, it would have cushioned any fall off the roof<G>.
In typed:

No insurance, no hire!! If hurt, he will go to YOUR insurance! Unless, he self insures, but you said none. Also, one person alone really can't do your roof justice - keep him out of there - his price may sound great but so is the gamble you'll be taking. I'll be he's lying somehow about the "big boys" he's worked for too. Ask for names & phones, then check them against the phone book and call at least two or more of them to check his references.
HTH,
Twayne`