Hiding places

:On 08/22/2012 09:39 PM, Metspitzer wrote: :> On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 18:52:30 -0700 (PDT), Harry K
:[snip] : :> Engrave the combination on the back of the lock. Add 4 to each :> number. :> Or subtract 3 :> or subtract 5: :I often use a XS3 (excess 3) code. It's very easy to encode. Just add 3 :to each digit (IGNORE CARRIES). For example, to encode 3728: : :3 + 3 = 6 :7 + 3 = 0 (remember to ignore carries) :2 + 3 = 5 :8 + 3 = 1 (remember you're ignoring carries) : :the encoded number is then 6051. : :Decoding: : :6 - 3 = 3 :0 - 3 = 7 (ignore carries again) :5 - 3 = 2 :1 - 3 = 8 (still ignore the carry) : :it's 3728. : :With a little practice I could do this without writing down ANYTHING but :the encoded number. The arithmetic is on individual digits only, so it's :a lot simpler than ordinary addition / subtraction. : :You could use hexadecimal, and then there's be no carries to deal with: : :3 + 3 = 6 :7 + 3 = A :2 + 3 = 5 :8 + 3 = B : :6 - 3 = 3 :A - 3 = 7 :5 - 3 = 2 :B - 3 = 8 : :That could help confuse things, since 6A5B looks less like a number than :6051. In case you don't know hex A = 10, B = 11, C = 12. : :BTW, thinking of hex, the TV series "Doctor Who" began in the year 7AB. : :I've also done nines compliment, which is even easier. Subtract each :digit from 9. For example, starting with 3728: : :9 - 3 = 6 :9 - 7 = 2 :9 - 2 = 7 :9 - 8 = 1 : :Decoding uses the same process: : :9 - 6 = 3 :9 - 2 = 7 :9 - 7 = 2 :9 - 1 = 8
This is really good stuff. Guess I'll squirrel it away in a database. I do have a combination lock or two but I never use them. Many years ago I bought a matched set of Master locks that all use the same key. So much easier to use a key than fiddle with combination locks.
Dan
Email: dmusicant at pacbell dot net
On 08/24/2012 09:40 PM, Dan Musicant wrote:
[snip]

With a combination lock, it's harder for someone to steal the key. Maybe that's why they used combination locks on school lockers.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

It's *much* easier to steal a combination than a key and it's not noticed when it goes missing. When I was in school, locks were bought from the school and they maintained a list of combinations (IIRC, it was just a hash of the S/N) and they had a master key for the locks. There was no expectation of privacy on public property, even then.
On Sat, 25 Aug 2012 12:13:35 -0400, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

cocaine in an obvious place in my locker, so when they found that and tested it, I figure they wouldn't look for the well-hidden real cocaine.
On 08/25/2012 11:13 AM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

[snip]
Right. At least it was harder for kids to steal the key.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

In my school the master key got loose. They never did figure out who had it but mysterious things happened to bully's lockers ;-)
On Tue, 21 Aug 2012 19:19:51 +0000 (UTC), Doug Miller

That is pretty funny. If I ever get a pit bull, I plan on getting a collar so s/he can proudly display the house key. :)
On Tue, 21 Aug 2012 19:19:51 +0000 (UTC), Doug Miller

What is a house key? I have had a combination lock on my front door since 1971 (my first house). My daughter never had one until she moved away.
On Tue, 21 Aug 2012 15:38:12 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

My car has the proximity device so I don't have to reach into the pocket. I'd like to have it on the house for when you come home and are carrying some bags of groceries.

I have a question about those 'proximity' keys. How do you keep the doors locked whenyou are in the car? Is it disabled when the engine starts or something?
Harry K
On Tue, 21 Aug 2012 20:52:31 -0700 (PDT), Harry K

The fob does not unlock the doors, it allows them to be unlocked when I just touch the button on the door handle. (although I think some do unlock them) It is also impossible to lock it in the car. The sensor knows if it is inside or outside of the car and will not allow you to manually lock the doors from the handle if the fob is inside.
The doors lock when I put the car in gear and they can also be locked with a button on the arm rest.
You can also program how some functions work. One touch can open only the driver's door or you can change it to unlock all doors.

Thanks. Good explanation.
On 8/22/2012 3:05 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

how does it tell whether the fob is inside or outside? mine has an antenna in each door and the rear bumper. when you get witihn 6' of an antenna, it unlocks, and can't be locked if it's still near an antenna unless it's inserted into the ignition and turned. if it's anywhere within 6' of the car, you can't lock it without it self-unlocking (until the fob battery goes dead. damhikt).

I wanted a house door lock with a remote, but they are rare and if I found one it was very expensive. Or it ran on batteries and I hate batteries.
How does the proximity device work?. What brand?

It gives of some RF signal I guess, for a short distance. As for brand, it comes with the car. Many cars have them now and you push a button to start.

Ed, is there a way to turn the engine off in an emergency? Unlock the doors? I am thinking of some malfunction that makes the car refuse to brake, as well as driving into a canal. Do you have one of those emergency hammers that will break the glass of the window like this
<(Amazon.com product link shortened)- Orange/dp/B000BN3A4Y>?
--
Best regards
Han

The engine can be shut down by holding the dash start/stop button for a couple of seconds. Doors can be unlocked by just pulling on the handle as you normally would and it is a mechanical connection.

On my lebaron the drivers door would open from inside even if locked.
On t he Toyota, the door has to be unlocked.

For the Toyota that sounds like a distinct safety hazard. At least the driver's door shouldb e openable.
Harry K
On Thu, 23 Aug 2012 07:41:28 -0700 (PDT), Harry K

Yes. I don't lock my doors when I drive, but a lot of people do.