Hiding places

amvdffcn7h8@

How would you like it to be powered if not by batteries?

Obviously you wouldn't want a corded remote, so that will have to use batteries.

As far as the lock itself, do you plan to run wires through the door slab (or - worse yet - surface mount them) to get power to the lock?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Similar true situation:

My neighbors car window was broken into at her work. They stole only her garage door opener. They found her address from her registration. They drove to her house (in their own car), opened the garage door, drove in, and closed the garage door. They then burglarized her house, no hurry since everything looked ok from the outside, and she was at work still unaware of her car's broken window.

Apparently this is a well known method. Two precautions I now take. I keep the garage door opener out of plain sight. And I use a strategic rip though the numbers on my registration making my address unreadable. Hopefully hiding the opener will save me the broken car window, and if not at least they don't know where I live.

Reply to
AaronL

2famvdffcn7h8@ 4ax.com: > And thanks, I had a house key in my last car's tr= unk, and I really > should have hidden it. So now I know what to hide. Alth= ough I > think under the turnk carpet will be good enough. When we lived ou= t in the country, we kept a spare key on the dog's collar.

e key in a fairly obvious hiding place. I figure that anyone finding the ol= d key will try in in the door, see it doesn't work, and quit looking for mo= re keys.

I'm sure that will totally bumfoozle anyone finding the paper. :)

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

news:bcb738t0ftffrte2jev3b2famvdffcn7h8@ 4ax.com: > And thanks, I had a house key in my last car's trunk, and I really > should have hidden it. So now I know what to hide. Although I > think under the turnk carpet will be good enough. When we lived out in the country, we kept a spare key on the dog's collar.

key in a fairly obvious hiding place. I figure that anyone finding the old key will try in in the door, see it doesn't work, and quit looking for more keys.

Engrave the combination on the back of the lock. Add 4 to each number. Or subtract 3 or subtract 5

Reply to
Metspitzer

The engine can be shut down by holding the dash start/stop button for a couple of seconds. Doors can be unlocked by just pulling on the handle as you normally would and it is a mechanical connection.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Can't remember the last time I had the spare out. Probably 20 years. As for detailing, I've been driving 50 years and never had it done.

Given the odds I'll continue to take the risk.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

House current.

It wasn't just the remote. It was the door lock that used batteries.

Yes, drilling a hole through the slab, but I would need a lock mechanism designed to run on 110.

Alternatively, I'd like something like an apartment door buzzer. Where the mechanism is in the jamb. But I don't think they make one that isn't easy to kick in. With apartment lobbies it doesn't matter that much because if one waits long enough, someone will let a person in.

When I put my burglar alarm in, I put roller switches in the sliding door channels on the bottom, so that I could leave the door open a few inches without triggering the alarm. Then I, caught the wire when it was above the ceiling in the basement, and used a snake to pull it to the laundry room which has no ceiling. . Extra time spent up front and then testing but no maintence required for decades.

Reply to
micky

news:bcb738t0ftffrte2jev3b2famvdffcn7h8@ 4ax.com: > And thanks, I had a house key in my last car's trunk, and I really > should have hidden it. So now I know what to hide. Although I > think under the turnk carpet will be good enough. When we lived out in the country, we kept a spare key on the dog's collar.

key in a fairly obvious hiding place. I figure that anyone finding the old key will try in in the door, see it doesn't work, and quit looking for more keys.

Or all of the above.

Reply to
krw

Good point. I'll hide it in one of those hiding places that started the thread.

I never had a spare under the carpet before this year, but otoh, no one has been in my trunk for 10 or 20 years. Even when I buy a tire, I take it out of and put it in the trunk myself. I"m not sure why.

Also, I don't leave my car registration in the car, but if I go to a garage, they can probably get my address from my phone or because I give them my address. In some states they can get it from the state by asking about the license plate, but since that actress was murdered in California, some states have stopped that.

Despite all this, I'll hide it better. Thanks.

Yeah, I've heard about that. I don't think the guys who rob houses around here have, however.

Reply to
micky

BTW, my '95 Lebaron had a valet key, but it was the same key on a slightly different blank. The regular key went in all four locks, but the valet key wouldn't go in the trunk or glove box. But all someone would have to do is copy the valet key to the other blank.

Toyota 2000 does it differently, both keys fit all locks, but the keys are cut differently, and if I do take my car in, I'll try to bring the valet key so no one can get in the turnk. There's a way to dsable the remote trunk release by turning the trunk key 90 degrees, and that will also work with the electric trunk release I'm installing this week. (Mechanical is no good with a convertible, because I park with the top down sometimes and someone can lean in and open the trunk.)

I also got myself a non-chip valet key, so I can play the radio with that key, and if I walk away for a few mnutes, a passerby can't start the engine and can't open the trunk. Not that anything like that has ever happened.

Reply to
micky

On my lebaron the drivers door would open from inside even if locked.

On t he Toyota, the door has to be unlocked.

Reply to
micky

I can only guess that he shoved them a fair bit over to the side, away from the light.

Reply to
GoogaICQ

Ed Pawlowski wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

some maintenance checks require checking the spare's tire pressure. (a good idea,because they DO leak and a flat spare is useless. thus,a good mantenance guy will be going in there to check the spare.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

For the Toyota that sounds like a distinct safety hazard. At least the driver's door shouldb e openable.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

I often use a XS3 (excess 3) code. It's very easy to encode. Just add 3 to each digit (IGNORE CARRIES). For example, to encode 3728:

3 + 3 = 6 7 + 3 = 0 (remember to ignore carries) 2 + 3 = 5 8 + 3 = 1 (remember you're ignoring carries)

the encoded number is then 6051.

Decoding:

6 - 3 = 3 0 - 3 = 7 (ignore carries again) 5 - 3 = 2 1 - 3 = 8 (still ignore the carry)

it's 3728.

With a little practice I could do this without writing down ANYTHING but the encoded number. The arithmetic is on individual digits only, so it's a lot simpler than ordinary addition / subtraction.

You could use hexadecimal, and then there's be no carries to deal with:

3 + 3 = 6 7 + 3 = A 2 + 3 = 5 8 + 3 = B

6 - 3 = 3 A - 3 = 7

5 - 3 = 2 B - 3 = 8

That could help confuse things, since 6A5B looks less like a number than

6051. In case you don't know hex A = 10, B = 11, C = 12.

BTW, thinking of hex, the TV series "Doctor Who" began in the year 7AB.

I've also done nines compliment, which is even easier. Subtract each digit from 9. For example, starting with 3728:

9 - 3 = 6 9 - 7 = 2 9 - 2 = 7 9 - 8 = 1

Decoding uses the same process:

9 - 6 = 3 9 - 2 = 7 9 - 7 = 2 9 - 1 = 8
Reply to
Mark Lloyd

On Wednesday, August 22, 2012 10:49:54 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wr= ote:

te:

ev3b2famvdffcn7h8@ 4ax.com: > And thanks, I had a house key in my last car'= s trunk, and I really > should have hidden it. So now I know what to hide. = Although I > think under the turnk carpet will be good enough. When we live= d out in the country, we kept a spare key on the dog's collar.

olete key in a fairly obvious hiding place. I figure that anyone finding th= e old key will try in in the door, see it doesn't work, and quit looking fo= r more keys.

Or add/subtract the digits of pi, 3.141592....

Reply to
Pavel314

news:bcb738t0ftffrte2jev3b2famvdffcn7h8@ 4ax.com: > And thanks, I had a house key in my last car's trunk, and I really > should have hidden it. So now I know what to hide. Although I > think under the turnk carpet will be good enough. When we lived out in the country, we kept a spare key on the dog's collar.

obsolete key in a fairly obvious hiding place. I figure that anyone finding the old key will try in in the door, see it doesn't work, and quit looking for more keys.

...or a little less obvious, e.

Reply to
krw

I guess if you take your car to a thieving dealer they may do that. Aside from warranty work, no dealer has ever touched my cars and checks like that I do myself. The guy that does my regular oil changes does check the four tires, never checks the spare.

I will go to the dealer for my free oil change though.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Why not just write the number in hex?

3728 ends up being x'E90'. Let your average crack head make something out of that.
Reply to
gfretwell

On Thursday, August 23, 2012 9:16:29 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrot= e:

te: >On Wednesday, August 22, 2012 10:49:54 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzz= zz wrote: >> On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 22:39:49 -0400, Metspitzer wrote: >> >> >> >> >On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 18:52:30 -0700 (PDT), Harry= K >> >> > wrote: >> >> > >> >> >>On Aug 22, 11:27= =EF=BF=BDam, DerbyDad03 wrote: >> >> >>> On Aug 22, =

2:11=EF=BF=BDpm, Mark Lloyd wrote: >> >> >>> >> >> >>=
4 wrote: >> >> >>> >> >> >>> > > On Tuesday, August 21, 2012 3:19:51 PM UTC=

-4, Doug Miller wrote: >> >> >>> > >> micky wrot= e in news:bcb738t0ftffrte2jev3b2famvdffcn7h8@ 4ax.com: > And thanks, I had = a house key in my last car's trunk, and I really > should have hidden it. S= o now I know what to hide. Although I > think under the turnk carpet will b= e good enough. When we lived out in the country, we kept a spare key on the= dog's collar. >> >> >>> >> >> >>> > > I hid the key in a really good hidin= g place, then put an old, obsolete key in a fairly obvious hiding place. I = figure that anyone finding the old key will try in in the door, see it does= n't work, and quit looking for more keys. >> >> >>> >> >> >>> > I did somet= hing like that with a keypad lock. On the paper that had the >> >> >>> > co= de on it, I drew a line through it (still leaving it readable) and >> >> >>=

Lloyd

hat will totally bumfoozle anyone finding the paper. :) >> >> >> >> >> >>Ha= rry K >> >> >Engrave the combination on the back of the lock. Add 4 to each= >> >> >number. >> >> >Or subtract 3 >> >> >or subtract 5 >> >> >> >> Or al= l of the above. > >Or add/subtract the digits of pi, 3.141592.... ...or a l= ittle less obvious, e.

I thought I was the only math major in this group. ;-)

Reply to
Pavel314