Hiding places

micky wrote in news:bcb738t0ftffrte2jev3b2famvdffcn7h8@

4ax.com:

When we lived out in the country, we kept a spare key on the dog's collar.

Reply to
Doug Miller

dffcn7h8@ 4ax.com: > And thanks, I had a house key in my last car's trunk, = and I really > should have hidden it. So now I know what to hide. Although = I > think under the turnk carpet will be good enough. When we lived out in = the country, we kept a spare key on the dog's collar.

I hid the key in a really good hiding place, then put an old, obsolete key = in a fairly obvious hiding place. I figure that anyone finding the old key = will try in in the door, see it doesn't work, and quit looking for more key= s.

Reply to
Pavel314

That is pretty funny. If I ever get a pit bull, I plan on getting a collar so s/he can proudly display the house key. :)

Reply to
Metspitzer

What is a house key? I have had a combination lock on my front door since 1971 (my first house). My daughter never had one until she moved away.

Reply to
gfretwell

I hid the key in a really good hiding place, then put an old, obsolete key in a fairly obvious hiding place. I figure that anyone finding the old key will try in in the door, see it doesn't work, and quit looking for more keys.

Now that is the best idea yet. WW

Reply to
WW

Fortunately, no. The car was still on the lot, now for sale, so I may swing buy and see if it is still in there. The dealer has photos of it on the web site and the truck has been cleaned and vacuumed though so the liner may have been taken out for that.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

My car has the proximity device so I don't have to reach into the pocket. I'd like to have it on the house for when you come home and are carrying some bags of groceries.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

mvdffcn7h8@

I have a question about those 'proximity' keys. How do you keep the doors locked whenyou are in the car? Is it disabled when the engine starts or something?

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

news:bcb738t0ftffrte2jev3b2famvdffcn7h8@ 4ax.com: > And thanks, I had a house key in my last car's trunk, and I really > should have hidden it. So now I know what to hide. Although I > think under the turnk carpet will be good enough. When we lived out in the country, we kept a spare key on the dog's collar.

fairly obvious hiding place. I figure that anyone finding the old key will try in in the door, see it doesn't work, and quit looking for more keys.

When I lived in Brooklyn, NY, I got a car with a burglar alarm**,

But for an extra measure of protection, I mounted a hood release handle in the grill or under the bumper with a cable that was meant to go to the hood release, but instead I connected it to a swtich that set off the burglar alarm. That was all it did.

Once I found the siren going, and my switch had fooled someone who left without opening the car, (or maybe it was just an accident when someone bumped the car while parking and set off my alarm via the mercury switches)

** and that pretty much ended break-ins, (Until I rented a spot in a lot that couldn't be seen from the street,.)
Reply to
micky

I wanted a house door lock with a remote, but they are rare and if I found one it was very expensive. Or it ran on batteries and I hate batteries.

How does the proximity device work?. What brand?

Reply to
micky

The fob does not unlock the doors, it allows them to be unlocked when I just touch the button on the door handle. (although I think some do unlock them) It is also impossible to lock it in the car. The sensor knows if it is inside or outside of the car and will not allow you to manually lock the doors from the handle if the fob is inside.

The doors lock when I put the car in gear and they can also be locked with a button on the arm rest.

You can also program how some functions work. One touch can open only the driver's door or you can change it to unlock all doors.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

It gives of some RF signal I guess, for a short distance. As for brand, it comes with the car. Many cars have them now and you push a button to start.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Ed Pawlowski wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

it's dumb hiding your housekey under the truck carpet; if a service guy has to lift the carpet to access your spare tire,they'll find the key,and they have your address from your car registration. they can send a friend over while you're still in the shop waiting room.

if you have the car detailed,the guy will probably find the key.

but to really scare you,Google or Wiki search "bump key".

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Thanks. Good explanation.

Reply to
Harry K

Ed Pawlowski wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Ed, is there a way to turn the engine off in an emergency? Unlock the doors? I am thinking of some malfunction that makes the car refuse to brake, as well as driving into a canal. Do you have one of those emergency hammers that will break the glass of the window like this

?
Reply to
Han

news:bcb738t0ftffrte2jev3b2famvdffcn7h8@ 4ax.com: > And thanks, I had a house key in my last car's trunk, and I really > should have hidden it. So now I know what to hide. Although I > think under the turnk carpet will be good enough. When we lived out in the country, we kept a spare key on the dog's collar.

a fairly obvious hiding place. I figure that anyone finding the old key will try in in the door, see it doesn't work, and quit looking for more keys.

I did something like that with a keypad lock. On the paper that had the code on it, I drew a line through it (still leaving it readable) and wrote a fake code next to it.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

amvdffcn7h8@ 4ax.com: > And thanks, I had a house key in my last car's trun= k, and I really > should have hidden it. So now I know what to hide. Althou= gh I > think under the turnk carpet will be good enough. When we lived out = in the country, we kept a spare key on the dog's collar.

key in a fairly obvious hiding place. I figure that anyone finding the old = key will try in in the door, see it doesn't work, and quit looking for more= keys.

What did you do with the paper?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

how does it tell whether the fob is inside or outside? mine has an antenna in each door and the rear bumper. when you get witihn 6' of an antenna, it unlocks, and can't be locked if it's still near an antenna unless it's inserted into the ignition and turned. if it's anywhere within 6' of the car, you can't lock it without it self-unlocking (until the fob battery goes dead. damhikt).

Reply to
chaniarts

For sure. The guy might want a beer. Or a coke. Even if they're warm. After all he can put it in the fridge to get cold.

Reply to
micky

Wasn't the heat there hard on video tapes?

Reply to
micky