HF knock-off

Things are getting mighty confused when a Chinese company starts copying a Harbor Freight tool!

Here's a copy of the HF Multifunction Miracle Tool, made by "RichPower Tool Company" of Hong Kong as advertised on Amazon.

It's only a couple of bucks more than the walk-in-off-the-street price at Harbor Freight, but you don't get no free flashlight. And who wants a cheap Chinese tool anyway?

Reply to
HeyBub

On 5/15/2010 7:36 PM HeyBub spake thus:

Um, you? (Me too.)

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

On 5/15/2010 7:36 PM HeyBub spake thus:

Not to change the subject--OK, I'm changing the subject--but do you or anyone else know where to find a current coupon for the free LED flashlights? I'm trying to turn a friend into a HF addict and wanted to give him a link to the coupon.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

It's called RICH power tool. It's not cheap. It's made for Rich people, or BY Rich people. I'm sure it's very good.

Reply to
mm

Google "Harbor+Freight+Coupon" yields

Which, in turn, yields

HeyBub

I've found another one here at a regional farm/feed/tool/clothing chain (4 states) that costs only $40, so is undoubtedly also Chinese, but comes with a 2-yr warrantee. Don't know the brand name, but this chain typically sells med-high end stuff.

nb

Reply to
notbob

Yep. The tool is such a good idea that everybody wants to get in on the act. Who makes them now?

  • Fein,
  • Rockwell,
  • Bosch,
  • Dremel,
  • Craftsman,
  • These new guys, RichPower,
  • Maybe some others, and of course
  • Harbor Freight.

Still, my hat's off to HF for being the first dog out of the chute when the Fein patent expired. And, of course, still being the cheapest.

Reply to
HeyBub

I guess the thing that caught my attention was the 2 yr warranty. Is anyone else offering this? Granted, it could be almost worthless, but it sounds good.

nb

Reply to
notbob

On 5/16/2010 5:36 AM HeyBub spake thus:

Thanks. You do realize that my friend's addiction will be partly on your head, don't you? I hope you can sleep at night.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

"HeyBub" wrote in news:wLmdnXoyWcCxsG3WnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

You guys are killing me. I've relocated back to VT from NC where there was a HF a few miles away. There are none in VT.

I have had the official alt.home.repair membership HF Multifunction Tool for some time now when I got it in NC. In the short time I've been here one task now underway is the installation of 3/4" hardwood floor. I've had to undercut toe kicks, raise jamb molding, notch this and notch that, cut slivers off, yadda yadda.

Fortunately someone here mentioned that some of the Dremel blades will fit it and that's been a life saver. But some day it's gonna die...and I'm gonna die with it from grief. I've already been to the real supply stores sizing up the various MF tools. No brainer to replace it. Spending a couple of C notes on maybe a Rockwell is not an issue compared to what they can do. Now at the point where hey, for another C note I can get a bare bones Fein .

BTW, I picked up a flooring nailer on the HD web site for $120. Shoots staples, T-Cleats, and L-Cleats. I've been using L-Cleats and it works like a charm. If I recall, HF had one that a lot of people said worked great. This one is actually less expensive, more versatile and the company actually has a web site with parts availability.

Numax SFL618

I figure when I'm done I can probably unload it on eBay for $60.

Reply to
Red Green

Uh, HF DOES sell on-line, too, ya know. Mail orders via tissue-paper catalogs was their business model for many years, and they haven't totally abandoned it.

Reply to
aemeijers

Good point.

Harbor Freight warrants their stuff as follows (from their web site):

  • 30-day satisfaction guarantee. No hassle return.
  • One year warranty on power tools
  • Two year warranty on generators, engines, and motors
  • Lifetime warranty on hand tools

Managers have a LOT of discretion on defective stuff. I took in two cheap air hoses that didn't live up to my expectations and asked to trade them for one better quality hose. The manager's only question: "Do you want a twenty-five foot or a fifty-foot Goodyear hose?"

You can purchase an "extended" warranty on some things (I don't which things or how much). I would guess they would DOUBLE the warranty period for an additional 10% (or something in that neighborhood).

I did buy a 99¢ mouse-pad at Best Buy once and the clerk asked if I wanted the extended warranty (!). Some discretion is probably appropriate when evaluating warranties.

Reply to
HeyBub

Iz okay. He may end up being called a "Pod Person," but he'll awaken refreshed with nary a care.

Harbor Freight said "Let there be light!" And a glow was seen upon the firmament... and it was good.

I, personally, am lip-deep in flashlights. I got flashlights in the barn, flashlights in the corn, Flashlights driving Cadillacs to Washington, D.C.

Reply to
HeyBub

HeyBub wrote: (snip)

When I bought my HF air compressor, it did not include a hose. I was very pleased to see they carried Goodyear hoses at only a couple bucks more than the no-name stuff, or the coiled plastic ones. I had a pocket full of HF coupons with me, so I think I got the 25-foot hose and a card of decent-looking brass fittings for under ten bucks. I'm happy with the deal. (It is just a little baby compressor for blowing up tires and stuff, so 25 foot was plenty.)

Reply to
aemeijers

active. I've got some free flashlight coupons. I'll have to scan them and upload some day to a free hosting sight.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

But that coupon expires today.

Reply to
Tony

Through 6/16/10

Stormin Mormon

Gadzooks! They put the old website back up.

cheers!

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

it just me, or could they have found a more American looking guy to pose with this cap? Anyone who agrees, say !si senor!

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

dot-com is the new site dot-net is the old site

Reply to
HeyBub