HELP: What's good for garage floor?

Anyone know what they use to paint concrete garage floors? I'm looking for something that soaks in and is impossible to chip or peel off... its a do it myself project. Proably basic grey and some nonslip or matt finish is good, its an attached garage and I'll use it for a work shop and changing oil on the car.

Thanks in advance Rob

Reply to
R&D

Home depot sells that epoxy paint kit crap made specifically for garage floors. It is grey and comes with non-slip fairy dust you can sprinke on it while it is drying.

Never used it, thought I was interested, but would like some testimonials from AHR first.

Reply to
sleepdog

If you are referring to the Rustoleum product, I used it (the non-garage formula) in my workshop. It has held up quite well for the past two years. My understanding is that the garage formula has something in it to help withstand the heat from tires. That, I cannot attest to.

The only problem I have experienced is some "flaking" where water sat from a dripping pipe for a while. It could have been days, or months. I will never now. Everywhere else, it is fine, save for occasional missed paint drips and dragging castors on heavy machinery. The paint drips clean up easily with thinner or "409", depending on the type of paint and provided I catch them while they are still wet. As for dragging casters, I think I have identified them all and changed them out.

The epoxy paint is doing well for me.

____________________ Bill Waller New Eagle, PA

snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net

Reply to
Bill Waller

I own two houses - one in PA and one in FL.

First I put Rustoleum Epoxy paint on the PA garage floor. It was expensive - but today five years later - it is still perfect - no chips no peels. (this is gray)

Then I decided to save a little - and use "hot trax" a latex garage floor paint on my garage in Florida. After one year it has peeled off in about 10% of the area - it looks a mess. (this is dark red)

Now to redo the FL floor I will have to get rid of all the latex paint before I can do epoxy. I wish I was not so dumb - to save a couple of bucks - and a little mess - I made a BIG mess.

Harry

Reply to
Harry Everhart

Sure. It called garage floor paint. :-)

There is good quality stuff and cheap junk. I like the two part epoxy. They no longer make the stuff I used.

They all have one thing in common. The quality of the result is 98% dependent on the prep work and 1% on application and 1% on the material you use. Do everything exactly as it says on the can about prep.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

why not tile it. it will look nicer, doesn't cost more, will last forever.

the epoxy stuff doesn't work if you have high moisture under the concrete slab. there is some test you have to do to determine that. they should have it on their page.

i think you take a piece of 12"x12" clear plastic onto the concrete and leave it there for 24hrs. if you see moisture on the plastic after that, there is too much moisture underground and the epoxy will peel off soon.

Reply to
artinist