Help! PuR Water filter down drain. Garbage Disposal Jammed

I have no idea how it happened. It's quite odd. I changed the filter on the PuR water purifier on the faucet today. And the next thing I know, I find (several hours later) that the filter wound up in the drain. I discovered that when I turned on the disposal anc it jammed.
It's wedged in there like it's not going anywhere. I can't get it out.
I've thought of trying to bust it up with a broom handle but I fear that could just make things worse.
Not to mention I have no idea if the carbon inside it is harmful in any way.
My only other alternative is calling a plumber. I'm not one to try to remove the disposal myself.
Your thoughts?
Thanks in advance.
--
Scott
http://angrykeyboarder.com
Scott wrote:

Did you try to rotate it backwards from below? Some disposals have an allen wench or similar type fitting on the bottom that you can put a tool into and turn. Some come with a tool to use. I'd try that first, and then insert a huge screwdriver or similar from above to try to dislodge it.

Harmful to whom? You're not going to eat it, it's in the disposal. AFAIK, the most harmful thing in that type of filter would be the small amount of accumulated material removed from your water, not the filter itself.

snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net spake thusly on 11/11/2006 5:34 AM:

I've not tried that yet, but I will today. Hopefully when the plumber calls back on Monday we won't be needing him.
Thanks.
--     Scott http://angrykeyboarder.com © 2006 angrykeyboarder™ & Elmer Fudd. All Wights Wesewved

There is nothing harmful in it. Carbon is just an unripe diamond anyway.
Even after you break it up, it still may be jammed. You may have to loosen the rotating plate by using an Allen wrench on the bottom or by rotating the grinding disk with the broomstick or a crowbar just enough to get the jammed piece out.

Carbon is virtually inert. You can eat all you want (yum, char-broiled steak, blackfish).
The only thing in which carbon is soluble is liquid iron.