Help! Freezer is not working!

I have a Frigidaire upright freezer, about 2 years old. Model ffu20fc4aw2.

I just went to get something out of it, and noticed that everything on the bottom 2 shelves is completely thawed/melted.

The upper shelves are frozen, and the "vents" on the top shelf are cranking out freezing air. The freezer is running.

However, before, whenever I would close the door, a motor would kick on and suck air out (or whatever it did) and the door couldn't be opened during those few seconds.

That's not happening now.

And the weird thing is, I cannot find a door switch anywhere on this thing!

So it's possible that the kids left the freezer open a bit, and I just found it, and maybe in a few hours it will be okay.

But I don't know why that fan isn't turning on when I close the door.

Any replies are very appreciated...I don't want any more ruined food.

Reply to
Anonymous

That fan is not on because it has probably iced up. You need to find that fan and find out why it is not running. That involves removing a few screws so you can see it.

Reply to
JimL

Always begin by reading the owner's manual and the appliance warranty. You may discover that you are not following all of the instructions for using the freezer, such as annual defrosting (even for self-defrosting units).

You may discover that you are still under warranty.

Good luck, Gideon

I just went to get something out of it, and noticed that everything on the bottom 2 shelves is completely thawed/melted.

The upper shelves are frozen, and the "vents" on the top shelf are cranking out freezing air. The freezer is running.

However, before, whenever I would close the door, a motor would kick on and suck air out (or whatever it did) and the door couldn't be opened during those few seconds.

That's not happening now.

And the weird thing is, I cannot find a door switch anywhere on this thing!

So it's possible that the kids left the freezer open a bit, and I just found it, and maybe in a few hours it will be okay.

But I don't know why that fan isn't turning on when I close the door.

Any replies are very appreciated...I don't want any more ruined food.

Reply to
Gideon

Whew....the freezer is working. It seems that my wife stuffed the top shelf full, and that's where the cold air comes out.

The food on bottom 2 shelves was ruined, since we have no idea how long it was thawed.

But once I distributed the food around the freezer so that air could circulate, everything was okay, and the fan once again runs when the door is first closed.

Reply to
Anonymous