Hello all, question about locks

Not so surprised. Being a good clerk at HD is not the easiest job, but even if he stays in the door hardware section for a long time, someone who can learn all the features of all the locks really ought to get a better job. For the most part they don't get to see the features, because the packages are closed.

Has anyone used those remote controlled deadlocks? They have a transmitter like a car alarm, and the one I've seen uses batteries to turn the know that opens and closes the deadlock. I don't have a great need for this, but I think I would like it. Especially if the batteries last a long time.

Reply to
mm

You need locks for two reasons:

1) You'll feel like a moron if you get robbed and the house wasn't locked.

2) If you tell the cops the place wasn't locked, they'll make a note of that in their report. You will be given the usual 17th pink copy, totally illegible, except for the words "house not locked", and your insurance company will use that as an excuse not to honor the claim.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I've had one on my front door for a few years (using the wireless keypad made for it). It's worked properly so far.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

You're kidding! I'll bet if your car is unlocked and it is stolen, that the insurance company won't honor the insurance for theft and fire. Not!

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

I'm too old to understand your last sentence. You're saying they will or they won't pay a claim if the car isn't locked?

I think they will, and for things stolen from an unlocked house, but it would depend on what the policy says. Sometimes insurance policies start off good, adn when they are renewed, the terms are changed. I certainly don't read my policies in full everytime they are renewed. Some states, maybe most or all, have laws, I think, requiring changes to be listed on a separate sheet, so one only has to read the changes.

If a roommate is suing another for losses to a thief, if the other roommate left the door unlocked, when it was normally locked, he's likely liable to first roommate. And after payment he would have a claim against the thief.

But the general meaning of an "insurer" is a guarantor of reimbursement. How often do policies change that, I don't know. But, for example, if everything is done right, a house fire will almost never occur. Someone has been negligent almost every time. Does that mean insurance almost never pays for house fires? I don't think so, but I welcome correction.

Reply to
mm

Good to know. Thanks.

Reply to