Height of Radon Vent Pipe

But you chastised the person who questioned the omission of a cap. Does that make them a double hippy or maybe something else?

Reply to
George

prolly...

Reply to
George

image shows.

You mistakenly assume anyone cares about what's really going on. Histeria, and all (sorta like AGW). I had to put a system in my NY house, >20 years ago, to sell it. There was no way I'd put it in for myself.

Reply to
krw

image shows.

The thread is about pipes.

Would you care if someone forced you to smoke two packs of cigarettes a day ? That's what's happening if I didn't install fan.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

te:

ke your image shows.

Well, I'm going to leave mine terminated on the outside wall about 20 inches above ground level with a dryer vent cap to keep critters out until I am ready to sell the house, then I'll see if I even really need it as my levels were about 3.5 in the middle of winter many years ago, and the ground water levels have changed quite a bit with the addition of storm water drains in a nearby subdivision that have lowered the water table so much that my sujmp pump rarely even runs any more.

Reply to
hrhofmann

your image shows.

Of course that all depends on the severity and where the radon is measured. In my case it was varying between 4 and 12 pCi/l in the basement. I would never have spent $1200 (in '93 money) on it for us. OTOH, my brother's house was almost glowing (120 pCi/l, IIRC).

Reply to
krw

I did not see much difference between basement and upper floor. I sent fliers out to others on street. Pretty much didn't care. I measured neighbors newly built house, and it was elevated, but not like my 60 year house. I got into measuring it and trying to remedy situation when I sold a house. It measured just over at the time. They wanted it fixed. I did some sealing, and hired another measurement, and it passed. They still wanted the money.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

Sure, people like to spend OPM.

Reply to
krw

rote:

t"

like your image shows.

From a practical standpoint, my guess would be that it's OK. While there is the theoretical possibility of the air making it's way back into the house via an open window, door, etc, if the pipe terminates a reasonable distance away, I would think it's unlikely. Also, the radon exposure thing is cumulative over years and years. Even if a bit of radon made it's way back in once in a while through an open window, if you average it out, I doubt it amounts to squat.

It would be interesting to see some actual experimental data that shows how quickly a concentration of any gas dissipates after coming out of a pipe like that into open air when discharged. Going above the roofline is definitely the safest, to code, not going to raise any issues with inspections, etc.

Reply to
trader4

It's useful to understand why radon is so dangerous.

The gas itself is inert. But it has a relatively short half life before it decays and become a metal. Basically, a radon atom "instantly" becomes a radioactive metal. Within a few days half of that first decay product has become a very slightly radioactive form of lead with a half life measured in decades.

The "key" to solving radon problems is to dilute it to near background atmospheric levels. At much higher levels folks just breathing in & out will end up with trace (but measurable) amounts of radioactive lead in their lungs. It's almost a recipe for lung cancer.

As I see it, there isn't much point in letting the vent pipe clear the trees. You house foundation (with your house) has been trapping radon inside. But much of the soil in "hot spots" routinely gives off radon. Your vent gives off no more than a lawn the same size as your basement.

Reply to
John Gilmer

The point of having the vent pipe clear the trees was to avoid leaves blocking the vent. Not my idea, and not practical IMO for obvious reasons.

Reply to
trader4