Height of Radon Vent Pipe

Page 2 of 2

Sure, people like to spend OPM.

The point is that if the issue is that you need to avoid having debris like leaves falling into the pipe, that can be solved with a simple screen or cap. A simple screen cover could even be in the diagram you provided, just not shown. It's just a simple wire screen.
So, yeah, I'd say someone who instead proposes extending the pipe up above the height of the trees is probably a hippie.
On 6/25/2012 12:53 PM, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

that make them a double hippy or maybe something else?

All systems must account for water, condensation or rain. It's real dum to put an open pipe sticking up. It's also real dum to use a large diameter pipe. It does not depend on fan size, it's all about how much flow you get. I put up a pipe with a bend above roof. I have a water collection system for condensation. It's easy to clog. I only have to run the system in the colder months, and a bug screen is necessary. My 120 cfm German fan is pulling about 20-30 cfm, at 1 inch pull. My radon is 1.5 in the summer without fan. In winter it could jump to 20 times that without fan.
Greg
wrote Re Re: Height of Radon Vent Pipe:

What's really dumb is spelling "dumb" as "dum".

I figured somebody would say that.
Greg
On 6/25/2012 3:32 PM, CRNG wrote:

It's useful to understand why radon is so dangerous.
The gas itself is inert. But it has a relatively short half life before it decays and become a metal. Basically, a radon atom "instantly" becomes a radioactive metal. Within a few days half of that first decay product has become a very slightly radioactive form of lead with a half life measured in decades.
The "key" to solving radon problems is to dilute it to near background atmospheric levels. At much higher levels folks just breathing in & out will end up with trace (but measurable) amounts of radioactive lead in their lungs. It's almost a recipe for lung cancer.
As I see it, there isn't much point in letting the vent pipe clear the trees. You house foundation (with your house) has been trapping radon inside. But much of the soil in "hot spots" routinely gives off radon. Your vent gives off no more than a lawn the same size as your basement.

The point of having the vent pipe clear the trees was to avoid leaves blocking the vent. Not my idea, and not practical IMO for obvious reasons.
On 6/22/2012 10:15 PM, hr(bob) snipped-for-privacy@att.net wrote:

so the stuff don't blow back in the window. Some think it's dangerous.
--
Steve Barker

The outlet is on the outside of the foundation wall, behind a heavy hedge of evergreens. No one ever goes there except to pick up accumulated wind-blown trash every once in a while (three times a year maybe). So, I don'tt think anyone is going to get contaminated unless they are homeless and set up a tiny tent behind the hedges so that no one can see them.