Heavy blankets on top or on bottom in bed to keep warm?

Page 1 of 2
I am not bothered by wool and I feel that it's warmer in bed with the heavy blankets on the bottom but my girlfriend is itched by wool and she feels the heavy blankets should go on top with the softer cotton furry blankets on bottom with the thin light down blankets in the middle.
Who is right for the most warmth?
Heavy blankets on top? Heavy blankets on bottom?
On 12/30/2015 9:25 PM, E. Robinson wrote:

An electric blanket on top. A thermal blanket over that. Another blanket over that. A quilt over that.
Works great. I rarely get cold. Sometimes I have to turn off the electric parts in summer.
On 12/30/2015 10:25 PM, E. Robinson wrote:

Comfort is determined by how well you trap air (and, to some degree, moisture -- your body's evaporative cooling).
Assuming you don't have "supplemental heating" (electric blanket/mattress pad, "another warm body", etc.), you stay warm by keeping the heat that your body generates from slipping away from you/it.
Most radiates "out the top" surface. So, anything that prevents that air from continuing up towards the ceiling is keeping you warm.
But, what you sleep *on* can also pull heat away from your body or act to trap it, depending on the material. An unheated water bed will leave you feeling cold regardless of the number of blankets on top of you -- it's thermal mass sucks the heat out of your body too effectively. OTOH, some mattress materials trap a lot of heat and leave you sweating even with nothing covering your body (depending on humidity levels, this can leave you very cold from evaporative losses -- or, just "sticky").
[I think many of the early "memory foam" beds had this problem; the mattress didn't "breathe" enough so the sleeping surface just keeps getting warmer and warmer -- even if the other side of your body is cold!]
I like a cool bed so tend to want something that wicks my body heat away from me (but not too aggressively). E.g., I will often fall asleep on the carpeted floor slab fully clothed and be very comfortable -- despite the heat sinking ability of the cement beneath me.
Why not just try *objectively* evaluating different configurations? Of course, if one or both of you can't be objective in that evaluation, then the "scientifically correct" answer will be just as readily rejected -- due to "inconvenience"!
On Wed, 30 Dec 2015 22:54:45 -0700, Don Y

On 12/31/2015 1:03 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I'd not be so quick to throw in the towel (or blanket, as the case may be? :> )
My wife and I had very different sleeping preferences -- she wanting to be toasty warm, me wanting to be very cool. So, we settled on a cool bedroom with heavy/fluffy blankets that she'd keep to her side of the bed; I'd sleep under a bedsheet or without any covers.
Tougher problem to address was mattress/pillow firmness; I increasingly liked harder/firmer mattresses/pillows while she liked things soft and fluffy. Of course, over time, the bed erred in her favor due to natural "wear"...
I'm now very comfortable sleeping on the *floor*. Purchasing a new bed (on the list for 2016) is always a hassle as no one likes beds as firm as I do so no one MAKES beds as firm as I'd *like*! :<
On 12/31/2015 4:21 PM, Don Y wrote:

Sounds like twin beds is the answer. Don't disregard them and think you will be far apart. You put them next to each other and it is just like a king bed where you can cuddle together all night.
If you like to read or watch TV in bed consider one of the adjustable beds as if is as comfortable as sitting in a recliner
On 12/31/2015 3:08 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

SWMBO and I sleep in separate bedrooms. Our schedules and sleeping preferences are too dissimilar to make sharing a bed feasible. I prefer things cooler, firmer, etc. And, I'm often *going* to bed just about the time she is crawling *out* of bed! Keeping our own rooms ("domains") makes things a lot easier and pleasant for both of us! :>

*If* I make it *into* the bed before falling asleep, about the only thing I've got energy left to do is fall asleep. :> Hopefully, I've not left a pot of water boiling on the stove, back door unlocked, lights on in the house, etc. before doing so! :<
On 12/31/2015 4:14 PM, Don Y wrote:

How long have you been married? 30 year maybe?
--
Maggie

On 12/31/2015 8:14 PM, Muggles wrote:

Who said I was married?
On 1/1/2016 1:20 AM, Don Y wrote:

You've mentioned SWMBO many times. As far as I know that refers to a wife, and it's logical to conclude that it couldn't be just a girl friend because what man in his right mind would go to such great lengths as to "obey" a girlfriend? :)
--
Maggie

On 1/1/2016 8:11 AM, Muggles wrote:

The 'O' in SWMBO is a tongue-in-cheek reference. You don't really think we feel like "she" MUST be "obeyed", do you?
Silly girl... :>
On 1/1/2016 10:14 AM, Don Y wrote:

It may be tongue-in-cheek, but there's probably more elements of fact to the statement than most men will EVER admit to. :)
--
Maggie

On 1/1/2016 9:24 AM, Muggles wrote:

And, the same DOESN'T apply to women??
On 1/1/2016 11:09 AM, Don Y wrote:

I've never seen "HWMBO" (HE who must be obeyed).
--
Maggie

On 1/1/2016 10:30 AM, Muggles wrote:

Because every woman alrady *knows* that?? :>
On 1/1/2016 11:54 AM, Don Y wrote:

HAHAAHA! You're so funny!
--
Maggie

On Fri, 01 Jan 2016 09:14:06 -0700, Don Y

Changing the subject! She's got you. No one would call a girlfriend swmbo.

On Sunday, January 3, 2016 at 4:16:31 PM UTC-5, Micky wrote:

Unless your wife is also your girlfriend, as it is in my case.
On Friday, January 1, 2016 at 10:11:42 AM UTC-5, Muggles wrote:

My wife is my girlfriend.
On 1/1/2016 11:22 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

You must be a real romantic!
--