Heater for outdoor "cat house"

Page 1 of 3
If have 2 feral cats in our yard which we feed and take care of. Over the last year we actually can now touch and play with them but they will not come in the house. They truly are wild. This winter I would like to build them a place where they can stay which will keep them relatively warm. I can easily build them a small house and put a blanket in it but I would like to insulate it and maybe add heat. Is there any electric heating pad type of thing that I can buy to use inside this cat house. I want it to be safe since it will be close to my house I don't want to start a fire. I was thinking about those electric pipe heaters that are used to prevent freezing but not sure if they get warm enough. Any suggestions, electric or otherwise?
Thanks..

Proper sized door and some insulation and they will be plenty warm. Look up the thread about heated dog houses here a while back, maybe 2 to 4 weeks ago.
Ed Hayes wrote:

<SNIP>
Doubt you need a heater. Had a very similar situation. I "built" a house out of a sturdy cardboard box lying about and glued 2" foamboard insulation to it. Added an extra 2" on the bottom. "Door" opening just big enough to allow cat to enter. An old blanket on the floor inside for comfort.
Took a little while for him to trust going inside but was warm as toast in minutes.
Jim

What he said, but make out of something a little more long-lived than cardboard, and put a window in it so they can watch the world go buy w/o freezing their nose.
aem sends...
I bulit a box for a wild cat out of foamboard thats as good as you get for insulation, a pipe heater is water safe and will help alot if say a rug is put over it, you dont need much wattage maybe 20 watts since they would sleep on it, you dont want it to warm. I got mine to go in by putting the food in the box, but racoons came to.
Ed Hayes wrote:

They have their own fur coats. Nothing warmer.
A single 60-watt bulb is sufficient for about 50 baby chicks; I would think a piddly heating pad would be ample for a cat.Further, I wouldn't cover the entire floor with a heating pad just in case it's TOO hot.
You might consider a duplex cat-house (interior wall, two doors), just in case the cats don't like sleeping together.

Pet heating pads are sold. They are very low wattage and never get warm to the touch. They do work. Our old dog loved it.
Only risk that I can think of would be if the cats chewed on the power cord. Doubt they will do it more than once.
Colbyt
Hokay, I just gotta help out a fellow animal lover if I can. First, let me say: www.DrsFosterSmith.com pet supplies & stuff. Good stuff. There are other places, but I use these guys, so ... address was handy.
Some of these answers might have been easier if you had indicated the kind of climate you live in. Guessing, I'd ass-u-me it's a cold but not terribly cold climate, maybe zero on the worst days? How much snow? How bad does it drift? You don't want them trapped under snow where they'll suffocate. Yes, snow will suffocate, I don't care what anyone chimes in here with.
IFF it hardly ever freezes there and you never/seldom get snow, a nice box with some soft, fluffy rag-blankets, straw if you can get some, makes a nice bed. Insulation's good too but NOT fiberglass or anything like it. Plain styrofoam's not good either. Blueboard's better. They don't need anything else other than a place to get out of the wind and rain. With a nice place to curl up that's dry and not drafty, they'll be able to easily stay nice and cozy without help. But, if per my initial assumptions above: Please see inline:
: If have 2 feral cats in our yard which we feed and take care of.
Meaning you feed them? If so, you'll have to do it over the winter if you make them a place to sleep. Else they'll sleep near to where they eat most of the time. It's the feral way.
: Over the last year we actually can now touch and play with them but : they will not come in the house. They truly are wild.
Sounds like definitely third generation feral or more. You probably already know they can be real hamgurger machines if you do something they don't like and/or feel trapped <g>.
: This winter I would like to build them a place where they can stay : which will keep them relatively warm.
All the stuff mentioned above goes here. Plus maybe a swinging door if you cant' be sure of keeping the wind from getting in, and especially if you can't keep the snow and ice rain out. Dampness and wind is much more harmful than temperature, as a rule.
: I can easily build them a small house and put a blanket in it but I : would like to insulate it and maybe add heat.
Insulation; great idea. NO FIBERGLASS!! Try the 1 1/2" thick blue-board stuff; comes in 2 x 8 foot pieces. Cuts like a dream, easy to shape. Consider a plexiglas window if you want them to stay inside where they can't keep track of what's outside easily. Ferals don't like feeling confined and not knowing where the 'enemy', perceived or real, is. They don't usually like corners either.
: Is there any electric heating pad type of thing that I can buy to use : inside this cat house.
Yup: Drs Foster & Smith has just the thing for you. Very little heat generated UNTIL they lay down on it and trap the heat in. Low wattage, waterproof, and generally safe. In fact, when you touch them you'd swear they're not working but if you keep your palm against it for a minute or so it soon becomes realy cozy feeling. Use a GFCI though, just in case they chew the cord. Tape the plug if you have to use an extension cord. If you don't have GFCI outlets, you can buy little plug-in ones for extension cord use. Got three of them msyelf. YOu would only need to add heat if you get -really- cold winters, and it gets under twenty degrees for long periods of time and colder . : I want it to be safe since it will be close to my house I don't want : to start a fire.
Foster & Smith heated pads are great - we use them for sick, injured kittens that we foster. We keep a couple layers of cheesecloth over them to soak up the pee, water & other spillage. Ferals will want it covered; besides, you don't want them chewing on it and ruining it.
: I was thinking about those electric pipe heaters that are used to : prevent freezing but not sure if they get warm enough. NO! NONONO! Wayyyy, too hot! Too dangerous too. You do not have to heat the house; their own body heat will do that as long as they have a nice cozy place to rest/sleep.
: Any suggestions, electric or otherwise?
Make the enclosure as draft proof as possible, but be careful not to make it air tight - they must have the fresh air to create the body heat they need. And to breath, of course <g>. : : Thanks..
HTH,
Pop

Are you dealing with Northern Canadian winters or Florida?
I grew up in Iowa and we used 40 watt light bulbs inside of two coffee cans. Keyless lamp holder in the center of the both the plastic lids. Smaller coffee can punched with lots of holes and the larger one punched as well. Got warm but not really hot. Only used it when it was below zero and the bitches had puppies. Rest of the time a 1/4 bale of clean straw was used. Changed every other week.

use
I just made one using an Omaha Steaks shipping box inside a Rubbermiad container. Also used a laundry detergent container as an awning over the entrance.
There are a lot of web sites on the subject. Almost all of them say to NOT use a blanket (unless you plan on changing it quite often.

Get 'em a big dog to curl up next to!

Then you gotta feed the dog when its done with the cats.... bullets are only about 50 cents each.

    Pretty much what I would expect from a fucking ingrate asshole hack like you.
    Don't remind me of the cheapness of bullets - I've already have one suggestion to go visit you, and I make take someone up on the next one.
    And I won't have to stop at the sporting goods store on the way down, either.
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com /
Paul ( pjm @ pobox . com ) - remove spaces to email me 'Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.' 'With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.' HVAC/R program for Palm PDA's Free demo now available online http://pmilligan.net/palm /

This is Turtle.
Hey Don't forget Me !
TURTLE

umm.....yeah, ok....whatever

We already have too many ignorant tourists and transplants here, we don't need any more, but thanx for the offer.

They don't need software there.

Damn Steve you blew it. Invite the cocksucker on down maybe he will be foolish enough to accept. Lord knows hes to big of a pussy to come here. He even pretends to want to find me knowing where im at. LOL what a pussy.
PS to PJ
Fuck off you cocksucker. Anytime you feel frisky im ready. Your place or mine.
On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 02:41:11 GMT, ..p.jm@see_my_sig_for_address.com wrote:

LOL tough guy huh. You funny! Come and visit me asshole!

    A very rough grade of blanket - 'horse blanket', etc, or equivalent like a couple of burlap sacks or such would be good. Disposable would be a good idea - you're not going to want to let it get anywhere near your washing machine.
    Mine have discovered the joys of the new Sunbeam electric blanky set on '7' , but they ain't feral :-)

    And thank you :-)

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com /
Paul ( pjm @ pobox . com ) - remove spaces to email me 'Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.' 'With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.' HVAC/R program for Palm PDA's Free demo now available online http://pmilligan.net/palm /
>     Pipe heater = not enough heat. 'heat pad' = not a good idea

This is Turtle.
Why that was nice to tell that fellow how to keep his Pusseys Warm ! Now what about the Bull Dog that was to stay with the Pusseys ?
TURTLE

We have a 'shop cat' that just loves my Carhartt jacket, it seems. He's been fixed and taken care of otherwise. I find the damn thing in my office chair snuggled up more and more these days... perhaps he's getting older.
He used to like our server room a lot. That big 'ole netserver is plenty warm year-round.
Get them out of the wind and they'll be fine... a heat lamp might be a good idea, too... although I dunno how comfortable they'd be with the light.
Jake
/