Heat pump thermostat

Today I replaced the thermostat for our upstairs heat pump. All seems to be OK, but I haven't tested the heat. The heat pump has electric auxiliary heat and no emergency heat.
Checking the documentation for the thermostat that I replaced, it was wired for aux heat and not for emergency heat. The new thermostat has three settings for both aux heat and emergency heat:
hot water gas or oil furnace electric heat
Both aux and emergency can be set to any of the three. The defaults are gas/oil heater for aux and electric for emergency.
Since I have aux and not emergency, should I set the aux heat to electric instead of gas/oil?
--
Replace you know what by j to email