Heat pump defrost

I live in West Chester, Pa., 30 west of Philadelphia. A ARUF018-00A-1 heat pump was installed in my condo about 3 yrs. Ago. I notice that in the summer if I set the thermostat to a random temperature such as 73 degrees the A/C kicks on and when it reaches 73 degrees the aux heat kicks on, the compressor kicks on and off every 5 to 10 seconds and the condenser fan locks out and it seem to go into defrost mode for about 10 minutes. In the winter the defrost mode does not work at all. I had the tech service the unit 3 times. The first time he replaced the thermostat. The second time he added Freon. The third time he replaced the defrost board and sensor. And after all this it still did not take care of the problem. Can you help me.
On Wed, 6 Feb 2008 06:43:47 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net wrote:

First you need to ask for your money back. Then you need to find a new service company. Bubba

I had the same problem with my heat pump that you are having. I had a Carrier. I took the heat pump out and installed a gas furnace and A/C. If I would have kept the heat pump it would have ran me in the poor house paying for the repairs. I wrote Carrier and complained about their shitty product. They or the company that installed it would do nothing to stand behind their product. I wouldn't have a heat pump if you gave it to me free and installed it free! They are nothing but a piece of SHIT! I am very bitter about the product. You wouldn't believe me if I told you what I have spent on repairs on my 3 year old unit. I even had a repair insurance policy on it which ran me $269 a year plus the deductable. That alone ought to tell you how much confidence they have in their product. The only place a heat pump might be useful would be in South Florida, Arizona (Phoenix area south), or Southern Cal. I don't care what praises other have for a HP.

Dave, What you and the OP had were "parts changers". Anyone can do that. I have a high efficiency gas forced air 2 stg variable speed furnace. Outisde I have a 14 SEER heat pump attached to it. They both work great. I believe the heat pump has been in 4 yrs now. Hasnt had a thing happen to it. I had a wonderful installer...............ME! Thats what I do. The greatest piece of equipment installed by the worst hack will net you a horrible piece of crap. Do your homework next time. Get references and check them out. Get it installed correctly. Dont look for the cheapest hack out there. Bubba

Bubba I bought the house new and was told that a Carrier heat pump was the best on the market. In my opinion it is the best piece of crapp on the market.

dealer/builder rep who pushes Carrier equipment because the installing company gets free trips and perks by selling more and more Carrier equipment? Duhhh. You didnt actually think that the Carrier dealer was going to tell you that Trane or Lennox or Rheem was the best there is.......did you? Be that as it may, you are of course entitled to your own opinion. Bubba

Read my problem, it is not a carrier unit Duhh.

I did not go for the cheapest price when I had it installed. The company that installed it was suppose to be a good company. So far they are standing behind there work but still have not solved the problem
On Thu, 7 Feb 2008 05:19:06 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net wrote:

Well, consider yourself ahead of the game that they at least are standing behind what they do. Its just too bad that they dont have a tech that can easily diagnose your problem instead of just throwing parts at. Hopefully they will find the problem before they run out of parts. :-) Bubba

I live in a condo and the only option I have is a heat pump

I live in a condo and the only option I have is a heat pump
Go with an electric furnace and A/C unit.
On Feb 6, 9:43am, snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net wrote:

it's wired wrong Mark

I asked the tech that and he said checked and told me that it is wired right but could it been wired wrong inside the unit at the factory
snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net wrote:

Why would it need to defrost in the winter? You making ice cubes with it.
--
Blattus Slafaly ? 3 :) 7/8