Pesky birds are trying to get into my house

Darn birds are waking me every morning. I have an older colonial style type house two stories. With the tall peek & the extended soffets, sorta like perches in the front. It seems that they had gotten in at one time. So I had put up some chimeney flashing lead with some Liquid nails. On one side this fall. It works good to keep them out. But now the're working on the opposite side. What can I do to keep them away. I like birds but I'm not going to put up with the pecking & gettin in my house. I'm in the middle of replacing the old plaster & removing the straw of their elder's. The kids can go elsewhere & I want to help them on their way. Before the Grandkids appear... So what can I get or do other than placing wire. It doesn't look right. Thanks for your help.

Reply to
odyssey

Put some rubber snakes up there. Not a long term fix, but hopefully long enough to discourage them.

Reply to
KC

Thats the kind of thing that I'm interested in. Gettin some today ! Anymore ideas like that.

Thanks

Reply to
odyssey

Where are they getting in? Through vents?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

There are two types birds that are trying to get in.

  1. The starling, black-goldish color markings, on mostly the back , orange beak very pointy. They do the most damage on the overhang of the soffit in the front of the house. The lead I had put in place on one side is working very well, but they still try to peck their way in. Since I am working on that side ( removing plaster & placing insulation ) I had removed straw & debris in the soffit. They think well nobodys home lets go in.

  1. The house sparrow, small bird can get in a little opening, pulls the drip edge away to get inside. This bird has gotten in at the peak. I can't close him out because he's inside of the large crown moulding. I'll have to wait for better weather. But I'll deal with him later. But for now I'm looking for a short time solution. I can't find a store that has rubber snakes. But I'll look till I find some.

Reply to
odyssey

Stucco house?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Some people have luck with an inflatable owl or hawk placed near where you want to keep birds away. A cat might also get them to stay away especially if the can can get up there.

Reply to
"Blattus Slaf

Do they carry photo ID like drivers in the US trying to buy beer?

Whipping out his Master Card, the Whooperwill says "Hey, they told me to fly away, but I whipped out my Master Card. I got clout."

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I've heard the way to get racoons out of a chimney is a radio turned on max, to a hard rock station. Aparently, racoons are more intelligent than human teenagers. I'm not sure teens have brains anyhow.

See if you can find their entry portal, and staple screen over that.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Cut a hole to make access easier for the birds. No more lead, caulking, wire mesh, climbing on ladders, maintenance, blah-blah-blah.

Problem solved.

'Course I'm the kind of guy that cuts critters some slack - they're just trying to make a living.
Reply to
HeyBub