Heat leakage from my furnace

I used to use Diversigum.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

And some can be mounted either way, too.

Reply to
clare

As long as that plane is vertical or horizontal it's true. The furnace and AC aren't going to work if they are on a 45 deg incline, unless it's some special design I've never seen. You have issues of condensate drainage from the burner and AC for example.

Reply to
trader_4

Tape looks like crap. Use silicon or Duct Seal. Good grief!

Reply to
ObamaPhone

That would be a bi-sexual furnace...not that there's anything wrong with that.

Reply to
ObamaPhone

Appreciate you looking out but as many others have mentioned it's perfectly normal to have horizontal installations, it's even in the manual. In my case the furnace is installed horizontally strictly for space reasons.

Reply to
Kevin M

You obviously know little about HVAC systems , air handlers are often placed on their side like that . There are different types of evap coils , some designed for horizontal and some for vertical applications . The location of his air leak is the evap coil box , which is always on the output side of the furnace/air handler unit . Educate yourself before you spout off , you might not come across as such an idiot .

Reply to
Tony944

Didn't you post this:

"I am not HVAC person but it seems to me that this is half ass setup You are showing Air Handler on side which should be in Vertical position. "EXPLAIN"

Or did you leave your PC unattended and someone else typed it?

Now you say:

The pic he supplied shows no such thing. It shows a horizontal furnace, air entering on right, passing through the furnace, exiting through plenum on the left, which has the AC coils. Very normal installation. And there is no "evaporator fan". There is a blower in the furnace section that moves the air for both heating and cooling. The installation is perfectly normal, he just needs to seal the air leakage at the condensate drain.

Nuff said.

Reply to
trader_4

Dear sir You need some education too!!! I know that many Air Systems are position on side, but air handler need to be configure for that set up??? If the leak is in Evaporator, but the evaporator supposedly should have negative pressure air in other words it should be on vacuum when running, So I can't say that you are right and I can not say that you are wrong. But your own words There are different types of evaporator coils. Look at Evaporator enclosure it shows intake and discharged from same enclosure, perhaps you can tell me how that evaporator fan is configured with in. I s it fan as fan or is it Squirrel cage.

----------- First off , you need to configure your newsreader to drop sigs that are placed below a delimiter - that's a space then 2 dashes then another space . Now , I'll answer your mistakes in order ...

That blower cabinet can be set either way , it's a condensing type exaust outlet . The evap coil is ALWAYS on the output of the furnace , whether vert or horizontal . If you're referring to the "AC from roof" , those are refrigerant lines and are often run side by side . If you're referring to airflow , the ducts to the outlets are on the left , air from the furnace unit comes in from the right . There is NO fan in the evap box , air is moved by the fan in the furnace unit . The air leak in question is around the CLEARLY MARKED condensation drain line . As far as education , I spent over 40 years in building trades , and Dad ran an AC&R business . An observant feller that isn't afraid to show his ignorance (that means lack of knowledge ...) by asking questions can learn a lot ... but those who already "know everything" will continue on in their unknown ignorance until something bite them on the ass . Yours is coming ... Oh , and here's the link to that furnace's install manual :

Which clearly says this unit can be installed in either orientation .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

The evaporators I've serviced have all been after the blower fan. Which makes the evaporator cased coil positive pressure.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Output of the furnace. Would that be higher or lower than atmospheric pressure?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

You sure about that??? Every A?C evap coil I've ever seen in a domestic HVAC system has had the "A" coil in the outlet side of the air handler - in other words in the "pressurized" plenum.

Reply to
clare

Thanks, Clare. That manual sure will clear up a lot of questions.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

+1

Tony really needs to just stop.

Reply to
trader_4

Wasn't me that provided it, but a good manual is a good start.

Reply to
clare

I'm replying to the bottom posted text, as this is a bottom posting list.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon